"Addressed As" - new Fallen London titles

[color=#e53e00]As you may have seen here: http://failbettergames.tumblr.com/post/140748143699/the-mysterious-and-indistinct-art-of-pronouns - we’re making some changes to the way people in Fallen London will address you.

• The game will get out of the way of your character’s gender, and take the Sunless Sea approach of asking for your preferred form of address.[/li][li]We’re adding titles (some of which will be unlockable, depending on profession and other factors).[/li][li]Established players will be given a patch card allowing them to choose a new preferred form of address.[/li][li]The character sign-up screen will be the same, and your chosen gender will still be shown on your profile.

Some of these changes are now active, the rest will be implemented over the next few days.

Any bugs, please send them to support@failbettergames.com

Let us know what you think.[/color]

Note for people using the title storylet: some of the costs are not listed as costs (price-tag), but as unlock requirements (padlock) – however, if there are items listed in the requirements, they may be consumed! Just so you know!

Looks like the highest-tier Professions each have a title, quite cool!

Ooh, decisions, decisions . . . I think the closest to how I see my character is “Professor,” even though I’ve never before considered such a formalized approach to “must know everything.” Fun!

The ones for professor (25 compromising documents,1 Uncanny Incunabula) were consumed.

Is there any chance the chosen ‘Addressed As’ could display on the Profile? It would be a great boon to player to player social actions to know in advance how a person prefers to be addressed.

Surely the urchins could be bribed to tell us all!

Neat. I guess the prices are to stop people from just wildly switching their terms of address? Seems odd that there are none with no reqs, though.

Also, requesting “Baron/Baroness” as titles in future.

A Baron or Baroness would very much fit under Lord/Lady! (Hubris is a Baron - he’s more properly Lord Hubris. Sir Frederick probably isn’t actually a Baronet - it’s most likely just a pen name.)
edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 3/10/2016

Please add constable some time… have no idea what else fits a cop…[li]

“Sergeant” and “Lieutenant” are both police ranks - the former more common than the latter.

I’ve just drawn the Urchins (they’re awfully busy, aren’t they) and changing your form of address has exactly the same costs (and you could in theory change it to your current title). I’m thankful it doesn’t take Fate.

[quote=Appolonia]Is there any chance the chosen ‘Addressed As’ could display on the Profile? It would be a great boon to player to player social actions to know in advance how a person prefers to be addressed.

Surely the urchins could be bribed to tell us all![/quote]

You could add it to your Scrapbook, as here: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Moomin

Oh, yeah, totally. I’m just saying, I wouldn’t for a moment look askance at anyone who used them to represent police ranking instead.

I just got hit up by the urchin for a preferred form of address. I would like to say I’m pleased, but I’m not.

There seems to be no generic, non-gendered, term available. All the non-gendered terms are profession related – not in the game sense of profession but in the normal sense. In the case of &quotCitizen&quot it’s carrying that whole egalitarian, revolutionary, thing – which my character is very much not (despite what all the marks they ply for information believe).

I ended up choosing Lieutenant as it seemed the only thing even close to anything in my character’s history as a zailor.

I guess I’ll need to begin the storyline involving curing my character’s terror of the Zee. (coming from Sunless Sea the Terror is a very real thing) The only non-gendered terms I’m really feeling happy with is ‘Captain’, and I can’t get that without getting a ship.

Bother.

I’d been hoping to put off the whole POSI thing for much longer. (at a minimum until I had a natural 100 in all stats)
edited by absimiliard on 3/10/2016

I was vaguely questioning a 25 echo cost to be a captain. I mean that’s a little high for a title that you can change for free anytime you change high level professions. But so it goes.

[quote=absimiliard]There seems to be no generic, non-gendered, term available. All the non-gendered terms are profession related – not in the game sense of profession but in the normal sense. In the case of &quotCitizen&quot it’s carrying that whole egalitarian, revolutionary, thing – which my character is very much not (despite what all the marks they ply for information believe).[/quote]Let’s brainstorm some options.

• Friend[/li][li]Gentleperson

. . . what else?

[quote=an_ocelot] ]Let’s brainstorm some options.

• Friend[/li][li]Gentleperson

. . . what else?[/quote]

Londoner
Neathperson
Neighbor
Fallen-folk (I think we could all be collectively called the ‘Fallen’, i.e., person from Fallen London)

I would defer to those who play characters of ambiguous gender as to what they like best.

[li]

These are rather reaching for it it, but nonetheless…:

*Servant/Subject of her Enduring Majesty

*Esquire (yes, I know in practice in the real world it’s masculine but its nature is gender neutral and can be used by women in certain professions)

*Personage

• Gentle One

Yeah, I don’t know about that, I can put an Esq. after my name for professional reasons but no-one ever addresses me as that. (The gender-neutral term of address is &quotCounsel.&quot)

Well, I personally clapped with glee and cried “frabjous day!” when I signed into Fallen London! I’d been looking forward to this with Considerable Eagerness–I’m genderqueer, as is my character. I’m firmly in Camp Thank-You-For-Making-This-Affordable-and-Easy-to-Switch, but I don’t forsee doing so. Doctor suits my character and gender needs admirably, and calls to my mind a variety of fun associations (time traveler, healer, scholar, charlatan, inventor…) I’m a wee bit disappointed I can’t slip “lady” off my profile, simply because I’ve signed many notes “Mx. Zestvim” only to get a kindly-meant “dear lady!” back–but I’ve put my title on my scrapbook, and that ought to help.

Before I make my choice, do we know how this quality can be changed later? Is this readily accessible, or is this similar to how the POSI specializations “can be changed later”?