A War in Spite!

[quote Announcement on Discord]Today we’re launching a small event in Spite, available to all players. A new Living World event: the Urchin War

It seems the trouble is all over Spite. One cannot walk through Flowerdene Market without being caught in the crossfire. Ordinary citizens are racing across the district with plates strapped to their heads to avoid messy projectiles hurled from the roofs.

The event will run for roughly a week or until the morning after one side achieves victory! We expect to run this event again at various times in the future. [/quote]
edited by elderfleur on 1/20/2022

Some interesting mechanical things to keep in mind:

It’s a zero sum game: Support for the Noughts decreases the Balance of War quality, support for the Crosses raises it. If it reaches 0 or 100,000 we presumably have a victor! Currently (about 16:30 UTC) the Noughts are ahead 53-47.

You can donate to both causes, but your personal &quotsupport level&quot is attached to either the Crosses or the Noughts and you can only have one at a time. Supporting the other faction first reduces your support level until it hits 0, then begins a new support level for the other side. …which at that point has become your side, not the other side. So probably best not to switch sides too late in the War.

I wonder if the total support level matters at the end, or just which side you end up supporting.

Dang, where did I get that research assistant from, and how do I get it back?

(Singing Mandrake, thx, I got it.)
edited by El Mar on 1/20/2022

Yay, new Living Story.

Noughts or Crosses? Who are the good guys? What’s the lore?

Maybe I’ll support the Crosses. In Tic-Tac-Toe, the Cross goes first.

Also, from Reddit:

“Mechanically speaking, it seems like the Crosses are much easier to support. You can get both the Lost Research Assistant and Silk Scraps in bulk from the Spider Symposium carousel beneath the Singing Mandrake. For the Noughts, you can get Lamplighter’s Beeswax similarly from the Old Embassy carousel in Moloch Street, but the Unlawful Devices can only be gotten from Moulin Expeditions and are fair bit more complicated that a simple carousel.”

You’ll need to farm the items from the Spider Symposium or the Old Embassy.

It’s strange to me that there was no in-game announcement of this. They have a message-of-the-day feature already built into the site; why didn’t they use it?

I usually don’t visit Spite for several days at a time, and still haven’t had a chance to do so today. If I hadn’t seen this very thread on the forum, I would have had no indication that this was even happening.

[quote=amalgamate]I wonder if the total support level matters at the end, or just which side you end up supporting.[/quote] I assume both matter, but that isn’t based on anything concrete. I can imagine it would either be an automatic secondary-reward multiplier, or being allowed to &quotspend&quot one’s support on different options (more interesting, but more content to implement). Or maybe just a vanity quality!

[quote=PJ]It’s strange to me that there was no in-game announcement of this. They have a message-of-the-day feature already built into the site; why didn’t they use it?

I usually don’t visit Spite for several days at a time, and still haven’t had a chance to do so today. If I hadn’t seen this very thread on the forum, I would have had no indication that this was even happening.[/quote]

I went to Spite intending to grind for some stuff, and this ‘War in Spite’ event was there. Literally stumbled on it.

[quote=PJ]It’s strange to me that there was no in-game announcement of this. They have a message-of-the-day feature already built into the site; why didn’t they use it?

I usually don’t visit Spite for several days at a time, and still haven’t had a chance to do so today. If I hadn’t seen this very thread on the forum, I would have had no indication that this was even happening.[/quote]Same here, most days I only check the threads I’m actively participating in and it’s pure chance I happened to look at the actual forum listing today and spotted this. Oddly low-key approach from FB. Maybe they’re trying to avoid it getting immediately swamped like happened with the first crab hunt.

Obviously a bit unclear on how rewarding this is all going to turn out to be, but I guess time will tell.

I’d kind of like to support the Crosses, but it seems like a doomed cause, so is that just a waste? Hard to guess how this is going to shake out in terms of payout at the end.

[quote=Tsar Koschei]
I’d kind of like to support the Crosses, but it seems like a doomed cause, so is that just a waste? Hard to guess how this is going to shake out in terms of payout at the end.[/quote]

I’m all for the Crosses, if only because I’m lazy and have an ample supply of silk scraps. :)
edited by Snort on 1/21/2022

250 items per action… I’m running out of items, will have to replenish them. I wonder if the final reward scales with the level of support you gave?

I’m assuming the end payout is based on the level of support you reach, yeah.

[quote=Tsar Koschei]I’m assuming the end payout is based on the level of support you reach, yeah.[/quote] I’m really hoping supporting the losing faction just offers a worse multiplier, or a multiplier of worse things; the current language sort of implies by omission that supporting a loser has no reward at the end. …Which in fiction would be, you know, fair. And it isn’t as if we lost money along the way. HMM.

Well until we know for sure, I’m happier being a big supporter of losers than a fair-weather small-time supporter of victors.

There better be a payout for both sides, because these rewards for supplying are trash. I also did a few levels just to try it out and now I’ll wait and see how the rest works.

I’m in for the Noughts, because I happened to have a lot of beeswax and not so much silk. I also just stumbled on it; I’ve been spending most of my time brawling for steel, while my alt has been trying to get into the Labyrinth of Tigers.

Um… what’s going on? Over the past couple of hours there has been a surge towards the Crosses. Can we just stick to one side, get it over and done with asap, and do likewise for future wars?

Sorry but something about this really rubs me the wrong way. Do you also demand that the kids on the playground playing tug of war give up and pull on the other side of the rope when the opposing team seems to be winning? Let people play the game the way they want to.
edited by hwoosh on 1/23/2022

Sorry but something about this really rubs me the wrong way. Do you also demand that the kids on the playground playing tug of war give up and pull on the other side of the rope when the opposing team seems to be winning? Let people play the game the way they want to.
edited by hwoosh on 1/23/2022[/quote]

Besides, Crosses are clearly the better and more deserving choice. Something is always better than nothing, and naught is nothing.

I went with Crosses first then switched to Naughts early on. I spent about a day farming wax lumps at the Sunken Embassy.

I noticed that Naughts and Crosses support spiked at intervals of 6 to 8 hours. Earlier today, the meter reached 38% one time before dropping back to the low 30s and high 20s. It’s either a game feature or people from different regions/ time zones support different teams.

I really hope the bajillions of wax lumps (or silk) and actions invested is really worth it, both for the winning and losing team. Since this is the very first event I hoped we would get it over and done with asap to see what’s the outcome. It’s also going to be a regular recurring event anyway.