A New Living World Event: The Ravenous Lifeberg

…so I’m guessing the hunt I just learned about is over, huh.

golly, but it would sure be nice to have things to hunt at zee other than this one Hard Seal that I already caught so I can’t hunt it anymore. :/

I managed to score 10 hits. Rewards were top notch (~9 EpA), especially because it was killed near Khanate, so you could grab weekly rewards from spynet and crates.

[quote=Qube ]…so I’m guessing the hunt I just learned about is over, huh.

golly, but it would sure be nice to have things to hunt at zee other than this one Hard Seal that I already caught so I can’t hunt it anymore. :/[/quote]

By the way, if you want to redo the seal hunt, just breed it in the labyrinth of tigers to use it up and you can redo the hunting.

It’s profitable (though not by endgame EPA standards).

Intriguing. We’re testing monster hunting, gotta love it!

I would do this again, not crab farming except where I need to create Knobs of Scintillack.

Nice text, fun overall content. Thanks FBG!

How this worked:
Woke up, got coffee
Sat on couch and turned on tablet
Got pop-up notice of event
Dashed back to London from the Evenlode.
Attempted to go hunt. No option.
Refreshed & reloaded a couple of times just in case.
Decided event was obviously over.
Swore a lot.
edited by Bluestocking on 4/22/2022

So this appears to have started yesterday around noon and ended at some point late in the evening? Nice. Basically no chance for anyone with a job and/or an actual life to take part.

They need to do this kind of event on weekends, and in a way that gives people from different timezones a chance to even notice what’s going on.

Before anyone else downvotes Luke (Barse, our Sun-Scorched Sailor) or complains about the event please remember few things:

1. It started at 11 AM, GMT, and ended about 11 hours later.
  2. It must be during their working hours. You know, FBG are people with a job and a life.
  3. I’m 100% certain that, for the team, the even started 1-2 hours before and ended 1-2 hours after. Add these numbers and see if it’s worth complaining that you have a job and that you missed this event.
  4. Tests need to be done in production environment. To do and still get some sleep you need a limited scope/
  5. As with the crabs, if everything went smoothly, the next berg that will pop will bring some friends.
  6. This is in no way similar to the New Year event. Have patience, more will come!
  7. You know! :)

If you still decide to complain and not really care about the people in this small company, than you are an ungrateful ________ (insert what ever you wish).

This rant comes from someone that went through timed events and those can be very stressful and you can end up working lot of hours! Best throw your thanks instead of complains.

All got was two of those medals and I traded them in for Souls because I had no need for the Bessemer

Sorry, no, I do care about the fine folks at FBG and I will still complain. They can handle a little light (but genuinely annoyed) ribbing when it’s deserved.

@Skinnyman:
Forgive me if I’m completely wrong but surely such an event does not necessitate an FBG employee to sit in front of a computer every single minute, monitoring everything? Aren’t these things programmed? Once all the writing has been done and everything has been implemented into the engine, don’t they just press the big GO button and then as people start playing the storylets the quality trackers start running down and when they hit zero the closing storylet autofires? Surely they can go to sleep while all that happens?

And IF I’m wrong, a longer event would make even more sense. With 24 a hour event, they could implement shifts. Since their entire company is remote with people in different timezones anyway, that seems like a better QoL solution for them than the 12-14 hour working day you inferred.

Anyway, I completely fail to see the sense of events lasting less than 24 hours. No matter how you time them exactly, a sizeable chunk of timezones will always be left out of any given 11 hours. Why leave people out? Sure, one day I’ll be lucky enough for one of these mini-events to time perfectly for me. But why should I need to be lucky?

For the record, I didn’t downvote anyone and I had no idea LukeFBG = Barse. Good for him! But I fail to see what that has to do with anything.

As for the rest of what you wrote, I’ll just believe you’ve had something wrong for breakfast and leave it at that.

I’ll have to second @Skinnyman for the most part here.
I can speak from the perspective of a professional software developer. You don’t just hit the go button and can go to sleep. Any launch of a new feature in a production environment (in this case the live game) has to be monitored. There is always a good chance, that somewhere a nasty bug snuck in and something weird happens and manages to shut down your software. Now that would get people to complain, if the game could not be played for several hours because everyone is asleep as it happens.

And from the timespan perspective you have to consider that they will be evaluating all the data in the next few days. That takes considerable time even from such a short time span. And I would like to point out, that there probably have been showing up lots of error messages on FBGs side. We as players just never see them. But they will have to see which problems need to be addressed before running the whole thing for a longer period of time with many more people throwing their actions at it.

A small test run absolutely makes sense from that perspective.
I will however say, that communication on that side could be better. I think that if they would just announce these small events as test runs with an actual run of the event to follow soon, that would lead much less people to be annoyed.

Yeah, definitely that would make a huge difference. &quotTest Run&quot sends a completely different message than &quotNew Event&quot.

Thanks for your input! I have no idea about software developing, so I don’t know the view from that side. But I guess that’s true for a lot of players, so that’s another reason to improve the communication upfront.

I happened to get in on this one, was pretty happy to get 10 hunts in. I’d be probably a bit miffed if I missed it. My most unpleasant memory of my first stint in fallen london (~10 years ago?), when I eventually quit playing, was missing Aestival because I was at a professional conference IRL, and in FL I was out in Polythreme when the event started, so even logging in a few times I was unable to get back before it was over.

Fortunately I’m not expecting this one to be unique though, like the crab hunts. There will be more lifebergs. I bet future ones will last longer.

But it would be nice if there was some indication of that in the announcement, so people know they’re not missing it for good.

Has there been more than one Crab Hunt? I grant my memory may not be that good anymore but I can only remember one. If there have been more they’ve come and gone before I was ever aware of them.

There have been two. The first with a starting Crab Count of 5,000, and the second with a starting value of 50,000.

There was a second. That second one lasted a good long while, I think long enough that anyone who wanted to get in on it had a chance.

Okay, I was able to participate in the second but missed the first one. I remember now, thank you.

It was really frustrating to hear that [quote=LukeFBG][color=#ff3366]Today we’re launching a new living world event, available to all players with their own ship and a point of Monstrous Anatomy[/color][/quote] but find that, like other zee-beast hunts, it was only available to my characters who already had Making Progress in the Labyrinth of Tigers 16. Is that going to continue to be a requirement for events of this type?
edited by Azora Perlino on 4/23/2022

[quote=Perlino the Thief]It was really frustrating to hear that [quote=LukeFBG][color=#ff3366]Today we’re launching a new living world event, available to all players with their own ship and a point of Monstrous Anatomy[/color][/quote] but find that, like other zee-beast hunts, it was only available to my characters who already had Making Progress in the Labyrinth of Tigers 16. Is that going to continue to be a requirement for events of this type?

edited by Azora Perlino on 4/23/2022[/quote]

As a requirement, it makes sense, because that is what opens up hunting for a plated seal, and that’s the tab the other hunts have been piggybacking on.

As a requirement, it makes sense, because that is what opens up hunting for a plated seal, and that’s the tab the other hunts have been piggybacking on.[/quote]

It would be consistent, but that’s not what [color=#ff3366]LukeFBG[/color] said, and I thought for a minute my character who needs the money most might get a chance to benefit.