A New Living World Event: The Ravenous Lifeberg

[color=#ff3366]‘HUNGRY ISLAND THREATENS LONDON’[/color]
[color=#ff3366]
[/color][color=#ff3366]The entire front page of The Unexpurgated Gazette is dominated by a story paid for by the Admiralty. A lifeberg of unusual size and appetite has been spotted in the Salt Steppe, and appears to be headed for the city. Peppered amidst descriptions of the lifeberg’s indiscriminate eating habits are exhortations to ‘JOIN THE CITIZENS’ ARMADA’ and ‘DO YOUR PART’. Aren’t threats like this what the Admiralty is for?[/color]
[color=#ff3366]
[/color][color=#ff3366]Today we’re launching a new living world event, available to all players with their own ship and a point of Monstrous Anatomy. In the face of imminent consumption by hungry geography, the Admiralty has issued a plea: join the Citizen’s Armada, and take up arms against the lifeberg threat! Track the homicidal mountain across the zee; gather riches from the wrecks left in its wake; chip away at its icy slopes as part of this ramshackle new naval force.[/color]
[color=#ff3366]
[/color][color=#ff3366]The Ravenous Lifeberg is colossal and relentless – far too large for any one ship to take on alone. Successful hunts will only damage it, diminishing its bulk. It will take concerted effort from a great many captains to bring it down – and all the while, it will be approaching London. Repeated acts of nautical derring-do may even earn you the recognition of the Admiralty, which, should the city survive this crisis, may be traded for material rewards.[/color]
[color=#ff3366]
[/color][color=#ff3366]Track the Ravenous Lifeberg from ‘Hunting the Beasts of the Zee’, accessible from the Cabin aboard your ship, or read about its progress in The Unexpurgated Gazette in your Lodgings. The event will run until the lifeberg is destroyed, with rewards from the Admiralty available afterwards in Wolfstack Docks.[/color]
edited by LukeFBG on 4/21/2022

Finally, raid boss!

I hope someone notified the Khanate before we sent an &quotarmada&quot of ships to their doorstep.

If the Khaganians get stroppy, we’ve cannon enough for them, too, by Jingo!

After a few forays at chipping away lifeberg-bits, this seems like jolly good fun and the rewards strike me as decent. Hopefully I’ll be able to hunt it at the subsequent locations before the whole thing gets ground down.

Boss HP started at 8000, is now below 7000. I don’t expect it to last the day. The game text seems to indicate it will move. I assume this progress depends on HP, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the rewards change nature as we get further towards its core.

I’m enjoying this so far. It’s not so different from the Crab Hunt, but there are enough small differences to make it feel unique. Like the Flotilla card.

[quote=PSGarak]I wouldn’t be surprised if the rewards change nature as we get further towards its core.[/quote]The amounts are likely subject to some limited change, but the text suggests that the actual type of reward is tied instead to the hunting location. In that sense I do hope the berg’s movements are indeed tied to its hit points rather than real time, since it would be something of a shame if we were to kill it on the first leg of the journey instead of seeing the rest of the variations.

Big bonus for Monster Hunters, by the way.

I tried to get there, got too much troubled waters and now I’ve lost my mind a bit.

I just joined up with the Citizens’ Armada and concluded a Hunt of the Lifeberg. Total HP is 5444 as of 12:07 PM Eastern (NY) Daylight Time.

5288 as of 17:20 GMT. I suspect PSGarak is right. And it’s still in Khaganian waters.

Considering how fast it’s dying, my guess is that it’ll move when it loses this first 8000 HP

Now down to 3417. I have to say, this is very satisfying so far!

Does the point of Monstrous Anatomy have to be natural? I have one from a slot item equipped, but the event isn’t showing up in my cabin.

Yes, it requires one base point of Monstrous Anatomy to participate. If you don’t have one already, you’ll have to bribe or steal your way into Parabola and hunt some wildlife.

Current HP: 2767

PSGarak

Thank you!

It does rather look as though its movements are tied to real time rather than scripted triggers. As such, it seems unlikely to make it out of Khaganian waters at this rate.

It really does seem like FBG still doesn’t have a handle on how fast these kinds of events will attract players and how many actions they will devote to it.

1899 right now. We totally should turn our guns toward Khanate after finishing poor thing

Perhaps there’d be another phase with another 8000 HP in another zee as it reach zero.