A Guide to Lacre?

I feel I ought to consider myself fortunate. I think I’ve only just barely hit the point that I can feasibly keep up with the holiday season myself.

Wait, if the price of Lacre is increasing, does that mean it’s getting…rarer?
Does this mean there is less Lacre this year than last?
Is the Bazaar becoming less able to draw upon it’s sadness? Has London become too banal to draw forth as much melancholy as once it did?
If so, will the Bazaar be able to hold off the Stone Pigs for much longer?
Or will the Masters seek out a new city, with new sadnesses, before that can happen?

Thoughts?

Nah, just FB probably trying to nerf Nadir Tears grind…yes I’m very Doylist, why do you ask?

Also it doesn’t make sense why you can only get lacre only once per week yourself…what the heck makes the lacre on your house path you’re able to get, while not anywhere else?
edited by onyhow on 12/13/2014

[quote=Nigel Overstreet]Wait, if the price of Lacre is increasing, does that mean it’s getting…rarer?
Does this mean there is less Lacre this year than last?
Is the Bazaar becoming less able to draw upon it’s sadness? Has London become too banal to draw forth as much melancholy as once it did?
If so, will the Bazaar be able to hold off the Stone Pigs for much longer?
Or will the Masters seek out a new city, with new sadnesses, before that can happen?

Thoughts?[/quote]

The urchins say price has increased because more people want lacre.
edited by Fhoenix on 12/13/2014

[quote=onyhow]I think the one who get hit by the worst are people who aren’t POSI or just newly POSI, really…like me.
edited by onyhow on 12/13/2014[/quote]

Indeed. I am only recently, in the last couple months, a PoSI and find it terribly difficult to get the materials required to really participate in this event. I suppose the increased prices are intended to make it costly for established characters, but I must say that despite all my grinding I do not think I will be getting anything other than a very small &quottaste&quot of Sacksmas, as it were. I have been looking forward to this as I kept reading that I could get a 5 card residence on the cheap, but it looks like I would do better to just pay the normal prices. I am on the edge of just passing on the event entirely as it would be a serious struggle to manage more than one or two pails if I devote all my efforts to it.

Merry Sacksmas, I guess.

[quote=onyhow]Nah, just FB probably trying to nerf Nadir Tears grind…yes I’m very Doylist, why do you ask?

Also it doesn’t make sense why you can only get lacre only once per week yourself…what the heck makes the lacre on your house path you’re able to get, while not anywhere else?
edited by onyhow on 12/13/2014[/quote]

According to the Masters lacre quality depends on the people living in the neighborhood. Player is obviously a Person of Quality and is very delicious… friend. Other people not so much. And apparently it snows once a week.

[quote=Nigel Overstreet]Wait, if the price of Lacre is increasing, does that mean it’s getting…rarer?[/quote]According to the urchins, it’s the demand rising (now that it’s so useful), not the supply shrinking. And that happened last year already, after Penstock’s Wicket opened. Makes perfect sense to me that the urchins wouldn’t start out with a lower price than last time, since everyone knows now how valuable those buckets are.

But to be safe you might want to count how many weeks we get Snowbound every year?

[quote=Fhoenix]

According to the Masters lacre quality depends on the people living in the neighborhood. Player is obviously a Person of Quality and is very delicious… friend. Other people not so much. And apparently it snows once a week.[/quote]

Except the snows gathered by the Urchins? Where did those little buggers get those then?

[quote=Salvation Denied]I have been looking forward to this as I kept reading that I could get a 5 card residence on the cheap, but it looks like I would do better to just pay the normal prices. I am on the edge of just passing on the event entirely as it would be a serious struggle to manage more than one or two pails if I devote all my efforts to it.[/quote]Aside from the weekly pails, and the advent pail (which I hope you got), the pails and levels of taste of lacre you’ll likely be able to get from the Mr Sacks story should be enough for at least one 5-card lodgings, if you have the Notability for it, which is somewhat easier to get with all these Christmas Cards we get.

Is it a good idea to get multiple 5-card lodgings? Buying 4-card lodgings unlocked new opportunity cards for me, so I bought them all. Shall I do the same for 5-card?

Sanctum has a 40 fate option to buy the Green-Eyed Devil. Otherwise no, I don’t think having more then one 5-card provides any benefits.

Does &quotwhile you can still do business&quot suggest as it seems to now that I’m looking to do this that once you’ve started breeding monsters this is no longer a viable path? If so, what is the fastest way to gather materials required to raise SotC at the university? Hunt the goat for shrieks directly, or thefts of a particular character or affair of the box grinding for money and buy them? I’ve decided I’d like to get my SotC up to at least 10 before I start using the Monocle.

[quote=MadmanAtW]If so, what is the fastest way to gather materials required to raise SotC at the university?[/quote]Definitely Thefts of Particular Character, at least if you have a Gang of Hoodlums and the Shadowy to get 100% chance of success when they build Casing… and when you attempt the actual thefts. Though if you can still build Investigating… at the University and use that to raid message-drops in the Flit that might be slightly faster. Takes some time to convert all those Cryptic Clues into Journals of Infamy, but you’ll get small bonuses along the way.

And yes, once you are able to go to the fourth coil in the Labyrinth of Tigers you can no longer build The Hunt is On! in the third coil. Which is where all the Rostygold is.

Um, question. So I figured out a cheap way to get to Lacre 8: examine 2 piles of snow to get PTPTL 6, spend 1 PTPTL by searching the shore, then examine another to get to 8. (Then using whatever available to get to 9, maybe.) Thus you can get to PTPTL 8 with only 3 pails of snow, and 9 with only 4.

But… does it work? I wasn’t around last year, so I don’t really know how Penstock’s Wicket works other than what wiki says. Can I use inventory in it? Can I go back after leaving it? &quotSearch the shore&quot only reduce PTPTL by 1, right? Is Mr. Sacks still around then?

That does work, although obviously the Wicket has to actually be open for you to do that, and it only opens after Mr Sacks is gone. I had kind of forgotten you could do that, but the Wicket doesn’t open for almost an entire month anyway so it’s still extremely worthwhile to do the setup dance now.

So should I use all of my buckets or just keep them around until January?

Use 'em now, so you can benefit more from the Taste of Lacre boosts that Mr Sacks (and Fate-locked faction investigations, if those are a thing you end up doing) give.

I am already at level 7 though so I think i’m capped since I can’t feed a boar.

In that case, yeah, there’s really nothing productive you can do with those buckets for now.

Is it efficient use to spend lacre on the boar thing? If it only gives 1 taste, won’t it be better to save it for using with the monocle?