A Guide to Lacre?

Thanks Sara! And thanks zbr308 for pointing out the lacrima connection!

[quote=Sara Hysaro][quote=zbr308]Seeing it almost certainly has something to do with lacrima (latin for tears, we are probably more familiar with lacrimosa, latin for weeping), I’d guess it has a similar sound, &quotlakri&quot maybe.

edited by zbr308 on 12/9/2014[/quote]

I went and dug up the tweet I recalled explaining how to pronounce it. It is acre with an l.

It stuck with me mostly because when lacre was first introduced I looked it up and discovered that it was Spanish for sealing wax, so I had been pronouncing it accordingly. I was pretty surprised by the clarification tweet. It being pronounced like lacrima would have been really neat, though.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 12/9/2014[/quote]

[li]

[color=#009900]I say lei-ker, to rhyme with nacre. But everyone else at Failbetter thinks it should be lacker. But neh the neh neh it was my word neh[/color]

If I lacquer with lacre would it cover an acre?

[color=#009900]Or a baker.[/color]

So female enthusiasts of the stuff would be the Lacre Girls?

[quote=Sara Hysaro][quote=zbr308]Seeing it almost certainly has something to do with lacrima (latin for tears, we are probably more familiar with lacrimosa, latin for weeping), I’d guess it has a similar sound, &quotlakri&quot maybe.

edited by zbr308 on 12/9/2014[/quote]

I went and dug up the tweet I recalled explaining how to pronounce it. It is acre with an l.

It stuck with me mostly because when lacre was first introduced I looked it up and discovered that it was Spanish for sealing wax, so I had been pronouncing it accordingly. I was pretty surprised by the clarification tweet. It being pronounced like lacrima would have been really neat, though.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 12/9/2014[/quote]

lacre is also portuguese for seal. I don’t think I will ever be able to pronouce it differently.

I also thought it was &quotlack-er&quot but now, everytime I see it I’ll think of Kobe Bryant and know.

You’re welcome. ;-)

I also thought it was &quotlack-er&quot but now, everytime I see it I’ll think of Kobe Bryant and know.[/quote]

[li]

Has anyone been able to acquire more lace?

We’ll probably be getting proper lacre acquisition options next week.

I am ready. Don’t know if this:

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/"Ere,_you!_D'you_want_this%3F"_2

is going to happen again, but I’m building up urchin connections & resources just in case. So far I have casing->steal journals of infamy, convert to plaques->screams->threnodys.

Any other/better lacre-accumulating tips?

A Rookery Password will be helpful if you don’t already have one. Once you’re under 20 it’s a quick way to get back up again.

My preferred method is, while you still can do business in the Labyrinth of Tigers, build running battle and cash them in Flit.

Edit: my bad, it’s the Hunt is on, not running battle.
edited by zbr308 on 12/11/2014

[quote=zbr308]My preferred method is, while you still can do business in the Labyrinth of Tigers, build running battle and cash them in Flit. [/quote]Yes, The Hunt is On! gives Rostygold when acquired it in the Third Coil of the Labyrinth of Tigers, and then Primordial Shrieks when spent to kill the goat demon in the Flit. And while converting first tier resources takes a lot of time, it pays a bit better when converting the second tier to third. And third coil/goat demon certainly pays better than Thefts of Particular Character. It’s just that at least half that pay comes in Rostygold, so if time is of the essence, Thefts of Particular Character might still be the better option to buy lacre.

If they’re going to charge Nightwhispers though, then it’s off to the Forgotten Quarter for expeditions. Strong-Backed Labour from The Acacia and the Butterfly, or just Docks connection from the Engraved Pewter Tankard. Porters are important. Might get an annoying amount of Storm Threnodies from that too. During peace the Fallen London RNG prepares for war.

Also a question: is it a good idea to spend everything I have to get pails of snow? How many do I need? How many can I get for free? Shall I aim for, say, 10 pails?

Depends on what you want and what you can spend it on. If it’s the same as last year, you want taste of lacre.
Buying a noman cost 3 (off the top of my head: the price kept going up)
Remote dwellings cost 3 each
The fate-locked storyline completion cost 5, whichever option you chose
The five card lodgings (requires notability) cost: embassy = 7, hotel = 8, bazaar = 9
Plus you can use it to ‘search the shore’, which is a luck roll to spend whatever you’ve got left over.

If you really want to go all out, and try and get a noman to live until the end of the Feast of the Exceptional Rose in February, you’ll need an absolute mountain of the stuff (you’re probably better using tears of the bazaar if you want to try that, I spent about 3k echoes’ worth of them last year trying to do that, and failed).
edited by RandomWalker on 12/11/2014

[quote=RandomWalker]Depends on what you want and what you can spend it on. If it’s the same as last year, you want taste of lacre.
Buying a noman cost 3 (off the top of my head: the price kept going up)
Remote dwellings cost 3 each
The fate-locked storyline completion cost 5, whichever option you chose
The five card lodgings (requires notability) cost: embassy = 7, hotel = 8, bazaar = 9
Plus you can use it to ‘search the shore’, which is a luck roll to spend whatever you’ve got left over.

If you really want to go all out, and try and get a noman to live until the end of the Feast of the Exceptional Rose in February, you’ll need an absolute mountain of the stuff (you’re probably better using tears of the bazaar if you want to try that, I spent about 3k echoes’ worth of them last year trying to do that, and failed).
edited by RandomWalker on 12/11/2014[/quote]

So what will happen if you keep this &quotnoman&quot alive till then?

[quote=zbr308]So what will happen if you keep this &quotnoman&quot alive till then?[/quote]Probably nothing special. I speculated that something might happen, since it wasn’t that far away, and something special had happened on the previous Feast of the Exceptional Rose. But apparently the melting process became quite merciless, so I guess that was meant to convey that the Noman really wasn’t supposed to live that long, and that the point was the ongoing interactions with the Noman, for the brief time it could be kept alive. Apparently it was governed by cards, so maybe I should get one this year, since I do draw a lot of cards. Oh, wait. It was also fed with quirks, so I’d have to give up my carefully accumulated quirks. Hmmm.

Well, we think we know what would happen. Firstly, if you provide the noman enough quirks, he can give you a reward before he dies, but you can do that with cards before he needs feeding. In fact I seem to recall that if you ended up feeding him more than once or twice the total reward was worth less than the action and material cost. Can’t be sure on that one.

Secondly, there was an option when Mrs Clevermont was dishing out tattoos at the end of the feast where you could get a noman tattoo, if you had a living noman. The option specifically mentioned that there was no physical reward for this, just lore.

So if I wanted to try again, I’d have to commit, at best guess, 5k echoes of tears to keep the noman alive long enough, then 50 fate (IIRC) to get rid of my tattoo (that I actually like), and then I’d be able to chose to get the noman tattoo.

To be honest, there’s not much cachet in getting the noman tattoo because anyone can get it with a little luck (there was an option to get a random tattoo, that presumably included the noman one). So I’d probably want to pay another 50 fate to get my old tattoo back afterwards. So I’ll probably not bother. I’ll happily cheer on anyone who does do it, though.

I’ll be going for a noman this year, and probably a remote lodging or three, for completeness, but I have all the rest. Except the Embassy Sanctum one, because I’m d*mned if I’m selling my soul. I’m getting that one the hard way or not at all.