A fall in the cause of duty [help? this is UNFAIR]

Okay, so I was doing the whole big rat storyline, and my chance of sucess was 100%. I didnt want to lose my &quotdisgraced rattus faber bandit-chief&quot but it said it was 100% of not failing. So I went with it, only to get the message I succeeded but lost the Disgraced bandit cheif.

It said &quotyou may get a chance to regain your rat later&quot

But my question is, how? I dont want to lose my rat, ive been using the talkative ones until I got a 100% at not failing, just to get this hit out of nowhere.

Can someone please explain to me what I can do to get my rat back? if not this is seriously misleading in saying I wouldnt lose him :/
edited by Conker on 6/16/2014

I don’t think it actually said that you wouldn’t lose him, but there really ought to be a clear warning that you will lose him - win or lose. You can get him back later with 10 Fate at the end of the storyline (if you side with the Albino Rat, and on the card that follows), if you’d still like to get him back.

10 FATE?!! Aggh, this is horse crap, if i known that I would have used the talkative rats. Man this is unfair, i dont have 10 fate, and i didnt want to lose him either… :c

Is the game just trying to screw me to make me pay? I had 100% success of not failing, and the game still took my rat…its just not fair.

Please tell me there is something that can be done about this. Can I contact some game dev about this to get my rat back? i feel so cheated…

10 FATE?!! Aggh, this is horse crap, if i known that I would have used the talkative rats. Man this is unfair, i dont have 10 fate, and i didnt want to lose him either… :c

Is the game just trying to screw me to make me pay? I had 100% success of not failing, and the game still took my rat…its just not fair.

Please tell me there is something that can be done about this. Can I contact some game dev about this to get my rat back? i feel so cheated…
edited by Conker on 6/16/2014[/quote]

I believe originally the rat was not get backable. People requested, begged, pleaded, offered first born and so on. So the fate option was added. The fate option is fate locked as it’s a cheat. It’s an acknowledgement you’re playing outside the storyline.
So it’s not a trick to make you pay, but a begrudging sighed ‘if you have to go against the story’, you can, but you have to make an aware choice.

Basically this is one of the sad storylines of FL - where even winning is bitter sweet. FL does this to you now and then - I find it makes all the choices more valuable, as it means sometimes there is no right one, no perfect outcome, no way to win (I will not make a Star Trek reference here) - and if you don’t use the wiki, you don’t know which of these these’ll be. Other people hate it.
edited by babelfishwars on 6/16/2014

[quote=babelfishwars]
I believe originally the rat was not get backable. People requested, begged, pleaded, offered first born and so on. So the fate option was added. The fate option is fate locked as it’s a cheat. It’s an acknowledgement you’re playing outside the storyline.
So it’s not a trick to make you pay, but a begrudging sighed ‘if you have to go against the story’, you can, but you have to make an aware choice.
edited by babelfishwars on 6/16/2014[/quote]

This is cheap to begin with. If I used a talkative rat I wouldnt have lost it, and even if I did its only 0.80 to get another one. But this storyline takes the rat away without warning with a very misleading action. I never felt so cheated before in my life with this game.

If I used a talkative rat, I wouldnt have lost my good rat, there was no warnings i could lose my good rat with a 100% success rate. I just feel so cheated. Now the game is making me pay 10 fate to get my rat back when it gave no warning I even lose him? …its not fair

[quote=Conker ][quote=babelfishwars]

This is cheap to begin with. If I used a talkative rat I wouldnt have lost it, and even if I did its only 0.80 to get another one. But this storyline takes the rat away without warning with a very misleading action. I never felt so cheated before in my life with this game.

If I used a talkative rat, I wouldnt have lost my good rat, there was no warnings i could lose my good rat with a 100% success rate. I just feel so cheated. Now the game is making me pay 10 fate to get my rat back when it gave no warning I even lose him? …its not fair

See my edit. Welcome to Fallen London, where, like life, the ending is not always happy.

[quote=babelfishwars]

See my edit. Welcome to Fallen London, where, like life, the ending is not always happy.[/quote]

No this is bull-crap. The game has a very misleading option, says I have a 100% not to fail ,and STILL takes my rat, which in the past said If I was successful I wouldnt lose him. Now it wants me to spend fate to get it back?

No thats cheap and backhanded. I always liked this game but this is going over the line here. This is the first time I felt cheated in this game. This isnt fair what so ever and no note can excuse this misleading, cheap option that makes you lose a very good rat for no reason other then &quotLol we took your rat since you won the option&quot when using any other cheap rat wouldnt do this.

Its bullcrap. Fallen London I am deeply disappointed.

[quote=Conker ][quote=babelfishwars]

See my edit. Welcome to Fallen London, where, like life, the ending is not always happy.[/quote]

No this is bull-crap. The game has a very misleading option, says I have a 100% not to fail ,and STILL takes my rat, which in the past said If I was successful I wouldnt lose him. Now it wants me to spend fate to get it back?

No thats cheap and backhanded. I always liked this game but this is going over the line here. This is the first time I felt cheated in this game. This isnt fair what so ever and no note can excuse this misleading, cheap option that makes you lose a very good rat for no reason other then &quotLol we took your rat since you won the option&quot when using any other cheap rat wouldnt do this.

Its bullcrap. Fallen London I am deeply disappointed.

See rules here: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic5-forum-rules-please-read.aspx

[quote=babelfishwars]

See rules here: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic5-forum-rules-please-read.aspx[/quote]

Why? Cant I say crap? I read the rules and I dont seem to be breaking any…thats im aware of. I am sorry if I did.

Well I sadly have 0 fate. is there a way to get it from someone or am I out of luck? I just want my rat :c

Well I sadly have 0 fate. is there a way to get it from someone or am I out of luck? I just want my rat :c
Only in bunches of 100. There was an option for 10 as well, but it was abused, so it was removed.

Out of luck. Sorry. :-(

Out of luck. Sorry. :-([/quote]
Well this is depressing… :c

Well this is depressing… :c[/quote]

Wait till you have to decide between who you save from burning in a fire.

Wait till you have to decide between who you save from burning in a fire.[/quote]
I always save the rubbery men, they are too adorable not to help.

But losing this rat, with no possible way to get it back…is just depressing. Since you cant send 10 fate, I doubt I’ll find anyone to send me 100 just to get him back :/

Wait till you have to decide between who you save from burning in a fire.[/quote]
I always save the rubbery man, they are too adorable not to help.

But losing this rate, with no possible way to get it back…is just depressing. Since you cant send 10 fate, I doubt I’ll find anyone to send me 100 just to get him back :/[/quote]

There are better pets. Check this thread: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic8503-neathy-pokeman--getting-my-collection-to-.aspx
(You can’t get them all, don’t get your hopes up.)
edited by babelfishwars on 6/16/2014

[quote=babelfishwars]

There are better pets. Check this thread: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic8503-neathy-pokeman--getting-my-collection-to-.aspx
(You can’t get them all, don’t get your hopes up.)

Its not about having a better pet, its about I just really liked that rat and the story with him. He is very useful with certain options, and having this misleading choice make me lose him without 10 fate forever…it just feels cheap and that ive been cheated.

Those options never said that success would protect your rat - only that failure would lead to his death. In this case, both options lead to his death. You say you liked his story - well, his story concluded with the poor creature feeling so wretched in his life that he carefully and deliberately planned and undertook a suicide mission, achieving one final victory at the cost of his own life. That is the conclusion of his narrative, and no more useful options for him exist beyond that point.

The game implied I would not lose him, All other options with 100% success he comes back, if you lose hes gone. This just feels like he was taken away just for a cheap death, when I could have easily send a talkative rat in his place. Its just cheap.

[li]
The game implied nothing of the sort. You inferred that, because he was able to come back previously, he’d be able to come back every time. That might be the case in your typical video-game, but it’s almost never the case in real life or, for that matter, in most other narrative works–the more dangerous the mission is, the more likely it is to be a suicide mission.

Fallen London is a game about words. 9/10, they’ll choose to go with what makes a good story over any other option, because that’s what Fallen London is. Don’t think of it as losing the Disgraced Bandit Chief. Remember, instead, the story you got from it.