A fall in the cause of duty [help? this is UNFAIR]

[quote=Snowskeeper]
The game implied nothing of the sort. You inferred that, because he was able to come back previously, he’d be able to come back every time. That might be the case in your typical video-game, but it’s almost never the case in real life or, for that matter, in most other narrative works–the more dangerous the mission is, the more likely it is to be a suicide mission.Fallen London is a game about words. 9/10, they’ll choose to go with what makes a good story over any other option, because that’s what Fallen London is. Don’t think of it as losing the Disgraced Bandit Chief. Remember, instead, the story you got from it.[/quote]

He was more then just a game story piece, or a state boost…He was my buddy and friend…i wanted to see him succeed damn it, thats why I didnt send a talkative rat in his place, I wanted to him to win with a 100% rate of coming back…

…to just take him from me like this…agh…this game is pulling at my heart strings, feelings and attachment to much. -.-

Now my only chance is somehow go from 0 fate to 10 to get him back -.- might just have to put my hat upside-down and start begging for fate to get my rat buddy back =/
edited by Conker on 6/16/2014

[quote=]I love the name of honor, more than I fear death.
-Julius Caesar[/quote]

That really was what his story was all about. Sacrificing his life helping to defeat one of the greatest menaces to Ratdom of all time.

[quote=Conker ][quote=Snowskeeper]He was more then just a game story piece, or a state boost…He was my buddy and friend…i wanted to see him succeed damn it, thats why I didnt send a talkative rat in his place, I wanted to him to win with a 100% rate of coming back…

…to just take him from me like this…agh…this game is pulling at my heart strings, feelings and attachment to much. -.-

Now my only chance is somehow go from 0 fate to 10 to get him back -.- might just have to put my hat upside-down and start begging for fate to get my rat buddy back =/
edited by Conker on 6/16/2014[/quote]

[li]
If you feel that way about it, the game is succeeding. It’s inspiring emotion in you. It’s certainly normal to want him back–I think most people in this forum have felt that way at some point. And if, at some point, it becomes possible to donate fate in smaller quantities, I’d probably be willing to share some with you. But the game isn’t failing, here, it’s doing its job. =)

[quote=Snowskeeper]
If you feel that way about it, the game is succeeding. It’s inspiring emotion in you. It’s certainly normal to want him back–I think most people in this forum have felt that way at some point. And if, at some point, it becomes possible to donate fate in smaller quantities, I’d probably be willing to share some with you. But the game isn’t failing, here, it’s doing its job. =)[/quote]

Sadly people are saying 100 is the lowest -.- which kinda sucks, as no one would put that in my hat so to speak just so i could get my rat back.
edited by Conker on 6/17/2014

I agree that the text is confusing (but I wouldn’t say &quotmisleading&quot).
The option is about using the Disgraced Bandit Chief against the Big Rat, and the text just tells you that a failure in the challenge will cost you your rat as well as setting you back in your struggle against the Big Rat. I absolutely agree that it would have been better for the text to make it explicit that this is a suicide mission and you’ll lose the Disgraced Bandit Chief either way.

But story-wise, I don’t feel &quotcheated&quot. This is a story-driven game. You’ve raised your stats so that you had 100% success chance, and you’ve indeed succeeded - the Disgraced Bandit Chief has succeeded in his (suicide) mission against the Big Rat and redeemed his honour. This is a story-driven game, and for some characters, the story ends with their death. Later in the game, you’ll be faced with other choices, some with permanent consequences to certain characters. All part of a good story.

I’m sorry that you got caught by surprise by this story development (as I said, I agree that the storylet text should be more explicit on the consequences of this choice). I hope you can move on from this, and maybe even regain your Disgraced Bandit Chief at some point in the future.

Hmmm. I am now starting to feel like I did my rat and his quest for honour a disservice by Fate-buying him back.

You are a terrible human. BAD A B NILE, BAD.

puts out hat Fate? got any spare fate? Devils have my rat buddy’s soul, need 10 fate to get him back! Help a fellow out?
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/conker

Seriously though. some fate would be useful.

Since his victory has cleared his disgrace, he is no longer a Disgraced Rattus Faber Bandit-Chief, and can be had for only 320 Echoes at the bazaar. Give him the same name, and you are restored.

This is definitely full of WIN, sir.

[li]

I saw an option that for as well, on the rare chance he comes back as one. I guess I can buy back his favor and rename him :o but thats gonna take a lot of selling stuff

[quote=Theus]Since his victory has cleared his disgrace, he is no longer a Disgraced Rattus Faber Bandit-Chief, and can be had for only 320 Echoes at the bazaar. Give him the same name, and you are restored.[/quote]This is brilliant! Well played!

Conker, post your fallen london ID, if you like. I am sure that other players will be more than glad to help you obtain your redeemed rat with some gifts ;)

(On my own, i offer my old self to go out on romantic streaks. They´re quite profitable, if you like)

[quote=Andrea Serafini]Conker, post your fallen london ID, if you like. I am sure that other players will be more than glad to help you obtain your redeemed rat with some gifts ;)

(On my own, i offer my old self to go out on romantic streaks. They´re quite profitable, if you like)[/quote]

I have posted my profile link before, its the same as it is here.
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/conker

10 FATE?!! Aggh, this is horse crap, if i known that I would have used the talkative rats. Man this is unfair, i dont have 10 fate, and i didnt want to lose him either… :c

Is the game just trying to screw me to make me pay? I had 100% success of not failing, and the game still took my rat…its just not fair.

Please tell me there is something that can be done about this. Can I contact some game dev about this to get my rat back? i feel so cheated…
edited by Conker on 6/16/2014[/quote]

I believe originally the rat was not get backable. People requested, begged, pleaded, offered first born and so on. So the fate option was added. The fate option is fate locked as it’s a cheat. It’s an acknowledgement you’re playing outside the storyline.
So it’s not a trick to make you pay, but a begrudging sighed ‘if you have to go against the story’, you can, but you have to make an aware choice.

Basically this is one of the sad storylines of FL - where even winning is bitter sweet. FL does this to you now and then - I find it makes all the choices more valuable, as it means sometimes there is no right one, no perfect outcome, no way to win (I will not make a Star Trek reference here) - and if you don’t use the wiki, you don’t know which of these these’ll be. Other people hate it.
edited by babelfishwars on 6/16/2014[/quote]

it’s not exactly an unfair exchange? stats-wise, you probably have enough resources to buy a better dangerous pet(or a job-related pet) by the time you beat the big-rat plot. and if you don’t kill the big-rat, he/it can be useful for obtaining certain materials if i remember correctly.

The game makes no promises or implications that you will get the disgraced bandit-chief back. The actual snippet of text is &quotThis is probably a suicide mission, but at least he’ll die redeemed. You may get a chance to regain your rat later.&quot So, it’s telling you without explicitly spoiling the impact of the story that he’s not going to come out of it okay. I’m raising an eyebrow at your choice of words, because giving any kind of warning at all was more than fair, and giving you the opportunity to get him back at all is a pretty major concession. The loss of the bandit-chief is supposed to be something that carries impact and weighs heavy on you, because it’s a sad story.

Also, FWIW,10 fate costs exactly $2.50 USD, roughly the price of ten games of Galaga or two 12-ounce bottles of soda at a 7-11. There isn’t even a paypal fee or sales tax for it. If you don’t have the option to get fate on your own, I would strongly advise you ask a friend privately, and not on the forums. It’s not really good form.
edited by ZackOak on 7/4/2014

Dude, if you want Fate, buy your own Fate. Begging is unseemly at the best of times, and you’re asking for a nontrivial amount of Real Cash Money from complete strangers (since, after all, Fate can be bought in any quantity but only sent in batches of 100, i.e. $20 USD) while carrying on about how no one is going to give you that much. They’d be entirely right to give you nothing, because no one owes you anything just because you’re sad about your bad rat decisions.

Perhaps you have difficulty making purchases over the internet; maybe you don’t have a credit card or a Paypal account. But surely you can hand over $2.50 or local equivalent to a friend or family member who has one and have them do it on your behalf, or buy a prepaid credit card in a low denomination (which would probably fund many more small internet purchases), or play all the stories that give out small dribbles of Fate at crucial moments and scrape them together for rat ransom.

[quote=Zack Oak]The game makes no promises or implications that you will get the disgraced bandit-chief back. The actual snippet of text is &quotThis is probably a suicide mission, but at least he’ll die redeemed. You may get a chance to regain your rat later.&quot [/quote]I’m afraid you are too late to argue this particular point, since the text you are quoting is the new warning, as can be seen in the edit history (link) for that article.

The old warning, from the time when this thread was started, read: &quotWarning - if you fail, you will lose your rat, and the Big Rat will feel reassured that he has gotten rid of a spy.&quot

Which to me certainly implies that not failing (also known as &quotsucceeding&quot) will not lead to a loss of one’s rat. And since it’s also the game speaking directly to the player, I would have expected honesty rather than deception through omission/misdirection. And I guess whoever changed the text might have agreed with that? Or maybe it was just a squeaky wheel getting some grease.

I myself sent the Disgraced Bandit-Chief on that mission and wasn’t expecting to lose my rat anyway if I succeeded, and I think it did have the old warning then. I agree that the new warning is better, because I didn’t feel very warned either; however, I think it’s a fitting end for him and I might have sent him anyway because it was much more dramatic than my other options.

i just bought my fate/nex through my cellphone , and it got debited to my bill. much faster, and probably safer than using a bank card.