A bug?

You need a better internet connection bro.[/quote]

This isn’t my internet, the forum logs you out after a period of inactivity. I had paused to research a couple things, and took the time to post a few comments on the feedback forum while I did so.[/quote]
This is correct and I have been slammed by this multiple times as well as typing long, detailed, and BBCoded messages in the form doesn’t count as activity until you actually submit or, in another tab, view a different thread. I believe the logout time is ~15 minutes.[/quote]

This has never happened to me before, weird. >_>

I have gone a somewhat less connection intensive route (that will also work better I believe on a smartphone) by opening up notepad for any post I fell will be lengthy, involve any research, or involve intricate fiddling with BBCode. Then I CnP the text, preview it, and tweak as necessary.

No signs of change on this? Perhaps we should keep complaining?

None. Perhaps besieging Failbetter with “feature” requests to change it back would be more effective.

Personally, I think the change is poor marketing. In my opinion, being able to LOOK AT storylets but not DO them keeps people on the site longer, and makes them think about buying Fate to advance (at least it worked that way for me). Being faced with the Fate page when I’m out of actions makes me want to leave the site, because I can’t do anything without seeing what’s up next.

None. Perhaps besieging Failbetter with “feature” requests to change it back would be more effective.
[/quote]

They already said it was a unexpected side-effect from some changes they are trying to make…

[quote=Chris Gardiner][color=00ffff]Hi all - apologies, there’s a misunderstanding here, which is my fault.[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 0, 204)]
[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 0, 204)]It was me that said this:[/color]

[color=00ffff]But I misunderstood your bug report, Twoflower - I didn’t realise the behaviour of the Fate prompt had changed. [/color][color=rgb(0, 0, 204)]This wasn’t a conscious change, but a side effect of some other stuff we’re working on. We’ll look into it.[/color]

[color=00ffff]Judging from this thread, this issue has obviously exercised people a great deal. Could I ask that if you’re confused by a change you please, please, please email fallenlondonbugs@failbettergames.com or - if you’re not sure it’s a bug - post about it in the feedback forum? It makes it much easier for us to identify problems. Posting about it on Twitter or here doesn’t give us the information we need.[/color]
[color=00ffff]
[/color][color=rgb(0, 0, 204)]Whereas a clear bug report that tells us what you expected to happen and what actually happened is not only invaluable…[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 0, 204)]
[/color][color=rgb(0, 0, 204)]…it’s [/color]delicious[color=rgb(0, 0, 204)].[/color]

[color=00ffff]Thanks![/color][/quote]
edited by Byron Man on 7/1/2012

Being a known bug doesn’t make it any less frustrating, in the same way that telling us that they’re going to fix the opportunity timer resets for months doesn’t alleviate that frustration.

I hadn’t realized how much time I previously spent looking at other storylets to see what I wanted to do next, or otherwise interacting with FL while out of actions. Being unable to do so is quite frustrating, and harms my enjoyment of the game to a degree I would not have expected before this change.

It’s really a shame to see such a fun game hindered by such basic user interface issues.

Today, the Exceptional Friendships of my three (!) accounts have expired. I will certainly not renew any of them, or buy Fate for any other reason, before the problem discussed in this thread, the problem with the opportunity cards timer, and the problem with echoing content for action refreshes, have all been fixed.

I certainly understand the fact that Failbetter Games is working on many (very exciting) projects at the same time, with a very limited staff. I do however believe that Fallen London is their “premium product”, and therefore should receive the lion’s share of attention - especially when things are not going as smooth as they should. The three issues I mentioned are only slightly annoying when viewed on their own, but taken together significantly reduce the enjoyment of playing the game. And they’re certainly not encouraging people to spend money on it.
So, with the friendliest of nods, and a slight nudge on the shoulder, I’ll say “Do something!” :)

Really, EF is almost useless now that you can’t echo for refreshes.

The combination of the three bugs (Opportunity card timer problem, no social echos and fate screen lock) is particularly bad.

I only re-upped my EF a couple of days ago becuase I will be out of town for a considerable amount of time this month. While out of town, I will probably be able to connect to Fallen London first thing in the A.M., and again last thing in the P.M. and MAYBE once during the day. So, I figured, the EF cost was worth it for me to get 20 actions in the two or three times a day I’ll probably be able to connect, - that will double what I will be able to accomplish.

Since I just finished the fate-locked stories in the House of Chimes, there will be no reason to pay for EF again - but if the bugs were fixed, I probably would. However, If Fallen London remains in the current state - well, I’ll enjoy it as is, but won’t pay for EF again.

I haven’t bothered to renew my Exceptional Friendship either. I don’t like having no action refresh via echo. You’d think they could at least make EF cheaper while they fix the problem.
But I’d say we should give them a bit more time before petitioning them / bombard them about it; they are most likely focusing on StoryNexus + Varytale, especially on the “incorporating Fallen London into StoryNexus” part, which might be the reason why there’s the whole Fate prompt problem.

By the way, the band-aid solution of Darkdrop Coffee probably isn’t going to work properly now, at least not if you don’t want to waste an action (you’d need to have at least 1 action to drink it even if it cost 0 action)

[/quote]

They already said it was a unexpected side-effect from some changes they are trying to make…

[quote=Chris Gardiner][color=00ffff]Hi all - apologies, there’s a misunderstanding here, which is my fault.[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 0, 204)]
[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 0, 204)]It was me that said this:[/color]

[color=00ffff]But I misunderstood your bug report, Twoflower - I didn’t realise the behaviour of the Fate prompt had changed. [/color][color=rgb(0, 0, 204)]This wasn’t a conscious change, but a side effect of some other stuff we’re working on. We’ll look into it.[/color]

[color=00ffff]Judging from this thread, this issue has obviously exercised people a great deal. Could I ask that if you’re confused by a change you please, please, please email fallenlondonbugs@failbettergames.com or - if you’re not sure it’s a bug - post about it in the feedback forum? It makes it much easier for us to identify problems. Posting about it on Twitter or here doesn’t give us the information we need.[/color]
[color=00ffff]
[/color][color=rgb(0, 0, 204)]Whereas a clear bug report that tells us what you expected to happen and what actually happened is not only invaluable…[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 0, 204)]
[/color][color=rgb(0, 0, 204)]…it’s [/color]delicious[color=rgb(0, 0, 204)].[/color]

[color=00ffff]Thanks![/color][/quote]
edited by Byron Man on 7/1/2012[/quote]

My apologies–I have only been following the forums in snatches, and I missed Chris Gardiner’s post.

Varytale is not a Failbetter project.

While I can’t access storylets on the “Story” page when I have 0 actions, I can still open all the clickable items on the “Myself” page including Darkdrop Coffee. Am I special in that way? :)

While I can’t access storylets on the “Story” page when I have 0 actions, I can still open all the clickable items on the “Myself” page including Darkdrop Coffee. Am I special in that way? :)[/quote]

Actually, this is how it works for me too.

Huh, haven’t used the coffee for a week. Now that you mentioned it, I tried to drink one and found it working properly. Thanks for the heads up! :)

Well, you still can’t look at storylets if you have no actions left, but it looks like the opportunity card timer doesn’t reset when you draw a card! Yay!

As I said in another post, the Opportunity Card Timer is still bugged, but bugged in a far less aggravating way.

Got my hopes up this morning, when the game was down for a while for maintenance. Sadly, I haven’t noticed any changes.

Has the game gotten very slow for anyone else at times? Things still load, eventually, after several tries. Wonder if that’s due to maintenance.

I have experienced some bouts of slowness in getting my browser to point at fallenlondon.com (note that during this time I was having no problems doing things at community.failbettergames.com, so I do not believe that it was my internet). I am hoping that this is the result of attempts to fix bugs. However, I have a sinking suspicion that is due to a combination of the big puddle of water between me and fallenlondon.com and global warming.

So, a month after this was to be looked into, I guess this is the new normal.

User interface issues like this make the game markedly less fun to play. It’s disappointing to see this disappear into the abyss of bugs that staff are well aware of but are apparently not a priority to fix, such as the opportunity card timer and echoing for action refreshes.