A bug?

arguably the labyrinth of tigers + flute street counts coz’ there aint nothin more shadowy than a frog covered in eyes
also you do get rewards for inviting friends (in the form of coffee (which is about equivalent to 10 fate actionswise (oh god)))
so, uh, welp
edited by Spacemarine9 on 6/20/2012

[quote=Spacemarine9]arguably the labyrinth of tigers + flute street counts coz’ there aint nothin more shadowy than a frog covered in eyes
also you do get rewards for inviting friends (in the form of coffee (which is about equivalent to 10 fate actionswise (oh god)))
so, uh, welp
edited by Spacemarine9 on 6/20/2012[/quote]

At least there it’s not blatant. They’re not spamming “YOU CAN GET EXCLUSIVE GEAR FOR ONLY THE LOW, LOW PRICE OF ONLY 40 FATE!” and “INVITE FRIENDS, INVITE FRIENDS, INVITE FRIENDS!”

It’s more “hey, we have some cool content that adds to the lore, and there’s some rewards in it too”, and “if you invite friends, we might give you a reward, but you can also get it by posting on twitter, so no big deal”.

[quote=Twoflower]At least there it’s not blatant. They’re not spamming “YOU CAN GET EXCLUSIVE GEAR FOR ONLY THE LOW, LOW PRICE OF ONLY 40 FATE!” and “INVITE FRIENDS, INVITE FRIENDS, INVITE FRIENDS!”

It’s more “hey, we have some cool content that adds to the lore, and there’s some rewards in it too”, and “if you invite friends, we might give you a reward, but you can also get it by posting on twitter, so no big deal”.[/quote]

That is very much appreciated. It’s one more thing that sets them apart from the competition,* along with the writing. Which all makes the present change all the more alarming.

*The competition which can sometimes be found in the ‘free fate’ sections and which literally have to pay you to play them.

[quote=dsch][quote=Twoflower]At least there it’s not blatant. They’re not spamming “YOU CAN GET EXCLUSIVE GEAR FOR ONLY THE LOW, LOW PRICE OF ONLY 40 FATE!” and “INVITE FRIENDS, INVITE FRIENDS, INVITE FRIENDS!”

It’s more “hey, we have some cool content that adds to the lore, and there’s some rewards in it too”, and “if you invite friends, we might give you a reward, but you can also get it by posting on twitter, so no big deal”.[/quote]

That is very much appreciated. It’s one more thing that sets them apart from the competition,* along with the writing. Which all makes the present change all the more alarming.

*The competition which can sometimes be found in the ‘free fate’ sections and which literally have to pay you to play them.[/quote]

Yeah, one of my major selling points when trying to get someone to play the game is how good it is compared to other browser games. I really hope that doesn’t change.

[quote=Spacemarine9]arguably the labyrinth of tigers + flute street counts coz’ there aint nothin more shadowy than a frog covered in eyes
so, uh, welp
edited by Spacemarine9 on 6/20/2012[/quote]

You only get a coffee for the first 7 friends you invited. Beyond that, the friend page says that you will have a better chance of getting coffee from echoing now that you have invited 7+ players, but the echoing system is broken so…

As for the fate-to-action options being expensive, that is intentional right from the start. They did say they don’t expect players to use it regularly in comparison to Exceptional Friendship and it is overpriced because it is only for when people really, really want that little quick boost.

Sigh. I was afraid of that. I too enjoyed being able to read storylets when I had no actions, to decide more freely whether (and if so, how) I might do them when my actions refreshed. No more of that, apparently. Thanks.

[quote=Woogawoman]I’d be very interested in poll results of how many players actually used Fate to refresh their actions or refill their hands. For me, those options are definitely not worth the cost, but others may feel differently.

In other words, the main reason this change really irks me is that I will NEVER pay Fate for actions. So repeatedly asking me to is just annoying.
edited by Woogawoman on 6/20/2012[/quote]

I used Fate to get a few extra actions only a few times, and they were long ago. Now I wait for actions to accumulate, or use Darkdrop Coffee if I have any.

[quote=Catherine Raymond]
I used Fate to get a few extra actions only a few times, and they were long ago. Now I wait for actions to accumulate, or use Darkdrop Coffee if I have any.[/quote]

I never ever used Fate for that. Way too expensive and I don’t really need to plow through content like that. And nowadays the option is even less tempting considering the action limit is gone but it is still as pricey as ever. Exceptional Friendship is not that attractive either with the echo refresh gone.

The whole thing is ridiculously annoying. Unless they have a really good explanation (and I can’t think of any), consider me disappointed in FB.

[quote=Byron Man]
As for the fate-to-action options being expensive, that is intentional right from the start. They did say they don’t expect players to use it regularly in comparison to Exceptional Friendship and it is overpriced because it is only for when people really, really want that little quick boost.[/quote]

Yep, I never bought actions with fate, nor will I ever do that (I did buy quite a lot of fate for other things. So it’s not like I am not supporting the game). Thus this decision is even more stupifying. They don’t want us to spend actions on fate and yet they insist on shoveling that page before our eyes.

I thought refreshing actions with Fate was supposed to be expensive, to prevent people from using it all the time. I thought it was just if you needed to do something right that second.

[color=00ffff]Hi all - apologies, there’s a misunderstanding here, which is my fault.[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 0, 204)]
[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 0, 204)]It was me that said this:[/color]

[color=00ffff]But I misunderstood your bug report, Twoflower - I didn’t realise the behaviour of the Fate prompt had changed. [/color][color=rgb(0, 0, 204)]This wasn’t a conscious change, but a side effect of some other stuff we’re working on. We’ll look into it.[/color]

[color=00ffff]Judging from this thread, this issue has obviously exercised people a great deal. Could I ask that if you’re confused by a change you please, please, please email fallenlondonbugs@failbettergames.com or - if you’re not sure it’s a bug - post about it in the feedback forum? It makes it much easier for us to identify problems. Posting about it on Twitter or here doesn’t give us the information we need.[/color]
[color=00ffff]
[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 0, 204)]Whereas a clear bug report that tells us what you expected to happen and what actually happened is not only invaluable…[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 0, 204)]
[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 0, 204)]…it’s [/color]delicious[color=rgb(0, 0, 204)].[/color]

[color=00ffff]Thanks![/color]

Ooh, it looked like I jumped the gun (or did exactly what Chris suggests - I can’t figure out which) - I just finished posting my - Revert to allowing players to view storylets and cards when out of actions
post in the feedback page and came here and saw it is a bug, not a change. Oops.

Bah! Again with the logging me out when I’m typing a long post!

glad to see they are working on this :)

and yes, I too would choose to spend all my time in Flute Street were that an option.

What do you suppose that might be? I can’t think of anything myself.[/quote]

My guess would be a thing with social network invitations that perhaps was not as noticeable as I thought. I had thought it was working as designed to encourage use, but with this change, I’m guessing not.

Since they are still working on it, I don’t know that they’ll want the issue spelled out, since it appears it may have been a bug and it would be nice if they just went back to the old way until they got something else in place.

Hurray! Rejoicings!

You need a better internet connection bro.

You need a better internet connection bro.[/quote]

This isn’t my internet, the forum logs you out after a period of inactivity. I had paused to research a couple things, and took the time to post a few comments on the feedback forum while I did so.

You need a better internet connection bro.[/quote]

This isn’t my internet, the forum logs you out after a period of inactivity. I had paused to research a couple things, and took the time to post a few comments on the feedback forum while I did so.[/quote]
This is correct and I have been slammed by this multiple times as well as typing long, detailed, and BBCoded messages in the form doesn’t count as activity until you actually submit or, in another tab, view a different thread. I believe the logout time is ~15 minutes.

[quote=Abraham Bounty]
This is correct and I have been slammed by this multiple times as well as typing long, detailed, and BBCoded messages in the form doesn’t count as activity until you actually submit or, in another tab, view a different thread. I believe the logout time is ~15 minutes.[/quote]

That’s why I always open a separate tab of the forum and refresh it every 5 minutes when I am making a post. Unlike Urthdigger who retains his post as a guest post, I straight up lose my post if I got logged out.