A bug?

I would like to apologize about my English in advance. Me not be good english speaker :P

Until yesterday, when I had no actions I could still check the options of each storylet. Now, for some reason, when I click ‘Go’ to see the options of a storylet (not to do one of the options in a storylet!) I am directed to this page - http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m564/VoodooMaster7/PurchaseFatepage.png

It also happens with cards.

Does it happen to anyone else? Is it a bug? It’s just so annoying…

[quote=Voodoo Master]I would like to apologize about my English in advance. Me not be good english speaker :P

Until yesterday, when I had no actions I could still check the options of each storylet. Now, for some reason, when I click ‘Go’ to see the options of a storylet (not to do one of the options in a storylet!) I am directed to this page - http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m564/VoodooMaster7/PurchaseFatepage.png

It also happens with cards.

Does it happen to anyone else? Is it a bug? It’s just so annoying…[/quote]

Yes, it has been happening to me too. I’m not sure whether it’s a bug or an intended change by the Failbetter team.

I think I’ve seen the You Have No Actions Wait & Get Some More Or Waste Your Fate page today more than the past month or so combined. I liked being able to idle at the storylet page waiting for actions :( stops me doing dumb stuff like forgetting to drink laudanum and promptly going insane

I noticed it too, and I don’t like it; it was nice to be able to peek through storylets, it helped plan ahead the next moves.

Sadly, I’ve emailed them about this, and the response was "[color=rgb(34, 34, 34)]This is a conscious design choice, I’m afraid, and unlikely to change."[/color]

Twoflower: Really? I don’t understand their reason to do so. Oh well. It’s going to take me a while to get used to it.

Yeah, I don’t know if I’ll ever get used to it, really. I haven’t gotten used to the opportunity card refresh yet, and that’s been there for what, a month?

Seems like an obvious ploy to toss the “spend money!” screen at folks a lot more often. Once again, marketing wins out over user experience/game play. Oh well.

Seems like an obvious ploy to toss the “spend money!” screen at folks a lot more often. Once again, marketing wins out over user experience/game play. Oh well.[/quote]

If anything, it has made me less likely to spend money, since they have defaced their own product. I imagine people who subscribe will be annoyed by those screens as well. Poorly thought out decision all around, this.

Trying not to be irked about this - but I have significantly less actions per day because of the echoing disabled bug, and now I have to leave an action in reserve at all times because of a deliberate design change that from my perspective in no way is to the advantage of the game player and in no way enhances the game experience at all - just the opposite.

I often would run my actions down and then consider what to do next because I could preview what my choices were - it was satisfying and helped me to strategically plan what to do with limited actions. (Also, I do not have an encyclopedic memory, thus constantly used the ‘preview’ as a memory aid to help me remember what my choices were.)

Not a pleasant change at all.
edited by Aryenke on 6/19/2012

for something so minor this is awfully bloody annoying and i can’t pin down exactly why

Oh, it’s pretty clear why… because it wasn’t broken before, it made more sense not to hide information from us, and it’s a design choice to get more people staring at the ‘buy fate page’ at the cost of annoying people who don’t want to buy fate at the moment but just want to see what their options are for a card.

If that is indeed the reason why, I think it is pretty uncivilized for it to apply to the exceptional friends (who are promised an “advert-free” game) as well.

Agreeing with Spacemarine9 - it’s a minor setback, but I don’t like it. On the other hand, as a player I’m quite interested in the company doing well, so, while I don’t particularly like marketing tricks, if making the page more visible can mean more revenue for FBG and more chances for Fallen London to be fully implemented, I can live with a minor annoyance.
edited by streetfelineblue on 6/20/2012

I’d be very interested in poll results of how many players actually used Fate to refresh their actions or refill their hands. For me, those options are definitely not worth the cost, but others may feel differently.

In other words, the main reason this change really irks me is that I will NEVER pay Fate for actions. So repeatedly asking me to is just annoying.
edited by Woogawoman on 6/20/2012

I think i bought three actions once back in '10 when I was still new to the game and had no idea what was going on
i thought fate was going to be a common thing ok : (

To be fair to FBG, I believe there is a legitimate change they’re trying to make to the gameplay with this change, as opposed to just looking to show us that page more often (which we’ll all start to get used to and stop seeing in a few days anyway).

I do agree that it is unfortunate that this is the way they’ve chosen to make the change, though. It was nice being able to see the choices you could make while you waited, but perhaps they’ll work out another method to do this in the future.
edited by JStadtfeld on 6/20/2012

I still haven’t gotten used to pulling Opportunity cards at the right time and it’s been a couple months D:
also i’m not really sure why this change in gameplay was necessary and why it’s been like two or three years in the making but i dunno ‘bout nothin’

What do you suppose that might be? I can’t think of anything myself.

Edit: And fate for actions seems to be rather overpriced. 10 fate for 10 actions is $2.50, so it would cost about $7-10 to grind one level in one attribute (50 change points), in a game where the level cap is north of 100. Who’s got that kind of money?
edited by dsch on 6/20/2012

What do you suppose that might be? I can’t think of anything myself.

Edit: And fate for actions seems to be rather overpriced. 10 fate for 10 actions is $2.50, so it would cost about $7-10 to grind one level in one attribute (50 change points), in a game where the level cap is north of 100. Who’s got that kind of money?
edited by dsch on 6/20/2012[/quote]

What if they go Zynga style on us?

“Pay 200 fate to get the new, exclusive Persuasive +10 gear!”

“Invite 500 friends to get 10 Fate!”

OH GOD IT’S ONLY A DREAM IT’S ONLY A DREAM AAAAAAHHHHHHH