A bouquet of fresh mushrooms! For your sweetheart!

[quote=suinicide][quote=Talkes][quote=phryne]From the time I first unlocked the Forgotten Quarter, the strange shape on the banner’s right side reminded me of the Alien creature from the Ridley Scott movie. I only recently realized it’s meant to be the snout of a horse-statue… :spock:

[/quote]

For about half a year I was sure it’s some kind of jumping leopard thingy on a plinth. And wondered what’s it got to do with horses and Forgotten Quarter.[/quote]

Until just now I thought it was a grave robber’s weird hand.[/quote]

Oh, now I see the horse statue! I always thought that it was the edge of a roof, with an oddly-shaped drainpipe-thing hanging from the bottom.

Also, when I first saw the Enquirer picture, I thought that it was some strange creature with a pale, angular head and wearing a top hat. Only recently did I realize that the creature’s head was actually a newspaper with eyeholes cut out.

OK, now the new art for the Touching Love Story looks like a cool mushroom with sunglasses. Please don’t let me be the only one who see it.

at first glance, at least, i agree too. unlike the mushroom is a boulder thing with the old one, though, it made me look again and knowing that couldn’t be right made what it actually was self-evident.

Drat it all. I had just stopped seeing the old art as an arrowhead with a bow around it and now I see a cool mushroom. I’m never going to see the touching love stories for what they are.

Sunglasses? Ah. AHHHH! Brain Bleach! Need to unsee that…

I’m somewhat sure that the original Touching Love Story icon was supposed to be a mushroom, and just ended up looking confusing.

I used to think that the image for the ES &quotWhere You and I must Go&quot was a white shark lounge singer. I can still see the microphone at his mouth, and the mike stand, and the sunglasses perched over his dorsal fin. I can almost see his fingers reaching for the keyboard…

DON’T JUDGE ME!

Okay try as I might, I don’t see that. But I really really want to. Help me out :P

Yeah! I saw it as a shark to, though not a lounge singer, also I thought the pink cat for Nassos Zoological’s was some weird pink bird thing.

I played Sunless Sea before FL and in that game I always saw the Sulky Bat icon as a mountain range for some reason…

Okay, I’ll try. On the right side, there’s a sort of crescent-shaped projection. If you read the iceberg as a shark, that’s its dorsal fin. Then the slight bump on the left is its snout, with two dark spots for nostrils. Okay, sharks don’t have nostrils, but this is an anthropomorphic shark. The dark cylinder that sticks out from where the shark’s mouth would be (actually the hull of a ship, I now think) is the microphone into which he’s singing, and the space between the two icicles I read as the microphone stand. The black bump above the fin (the prow of the ship?) rests atop the dorsal fin. Lounge Singer Shark has slid his sunglasses back from his eyes and they rest on the dorsal fin as he croons into the mike. At the base, it widens, but that’s where anthro-shark’s fin-hands are coming up to play the keyboard (the dark water.)

I dunno, probably wasted words; usually with this kind of thing, either you see it or you don’t. But that’s how I first read this picture - it’s a tiny thumbnail, so I had to blow it up a lot to see it as a ship in an iceberg.

I always thought that the icon was a lifeberg, which was why it looked so human.

I have made a consistent mistake too, though it’s a verbal/textual one rather than a visual one- I had always thought that it was ask Singing Jenny, not Sinning Jenny. I realized my mistake during the Election, and then I wondered how the hell she got elected.

Oh God, I see it now! That’s downright adorable! I want a lounge singer shark for a Companion now! :D

also, sharks do have nostrils ;)

It is a lifeberg. And it looks a bit like a person because its supposed to resemble the captain who sends you on that Exceptional Story’s quest.
edited by Kukapetal on 10/3/2017

Anyone else see the Searing Enigma as a man in a white shirt with his head on fire?
And as for “A Merry Gentleman” being a flaring cloak – I’ve always thought it was the ground conveniently opening up to drop you in it. Though maybe that is an attaché case on the left?

Sorry for a bit of necro, but you guys have to help me. The Merry Gentleman. What am I supposed to be seeing? The thread hasn’t settled it for me at all. All I can see is a person either with a long beak or a wide-brimmed hat, staring at a doctor’s bag (and whoever took the picture cut off the top of his head - not a very good photographer). I have no idea how to make my mind see this billowing cape that has been mentioned.

This is driving me crazy! I’ll be seeing him in real life if I don’t sort this soon.

I see the same thing as you–a man with a large hat and a large briefcase.

On another note, for the longest time I thought the icon for nightmares was a person being tossed on a stormy sea, which I thought was a super interesting way to represent dreams. Once I realized it was someone sitting up in bed, I was a little disappointed.

[quote=Lady Sapho Byron][quote=Cordelia Blackburne]
Please tell me of Fallen London images you have misinterpreted so that I do not feel alone in my silliness.[/quote]

[li]
For years–yes, years–I thought the Midnight Matriarch was an owl sitting at the end of a branch.[/quote][/li][li]
[/li][li]I thought this also - a very shadowy owl and I wanted to get one so bad. So disappointed when I realised it was just a cat :(

[/li]

[quote=Aberrant Eremite]I used to think that the image for the ES &quotWhere You and I must Go&quot was a white shark lounge singer. I can still see the microphone at his mouth, and the mike stand, and the sunglasses perched over his dorsal fin. I can almost see his fingers reaching for the keyboard…

DON’T JUDGE ME![/quote]

Dont think I have seen this image before but yeah it looks like s white shark lounge singer to me too, probably crooning some Lionel Richie number. What confuses me is, if it isnt a white shark lounge singer, what is it supposed to be?

It’s a ship, stranded on top of a lifeberg.