A bouquet of fresh mushrooms! For your sweetheart!

Well, I feel very silly. I finally realized what the image on Touching Love Stories is supposed to be–a mushroom with a bow tied on it. Even though I knew it couldn’t be right, I have been parsing this strange image for an embarrassingly long time as one of those Christmas-tree-shaped car air fresheners.[li]

Please tell me of Fallen London images you have misinterpreted so that I do not feel alone in my silliness.

I thought it was a rock with a bow tied around it :P

[quote=Cordelia Blackburne]Well, I feel very silly. I finally realized what the image on Touching Love Stories is supposed to be–a mushroom with a bow tied on it. Even though I knew it couldn’t be right, I have been parsing this strange image for an embarrassingly long time as one of those Christmas-tree-shaped car air fresheners.[li]

Please tell me of Fallen London images you have misinterpreted so that I do not feel alone in my silliness.[/quote]

Oh, I get it now!
The bow covers the stem. Mmm, not that obvious at all.[/li]

While a mushroom (or bouquet of mushrooms) is certainly plausible here in the Neath, the blue thing featured in the Touching Love Stories icon doesn’t look much like a mushroom to me–it’s too pointy in the wrong places.

I can totally see it :)

My thoughts exactly, but now that I see the mushroom shape, it just won’t go away! :) I think the coloration could be because it’s a lacre solidified mushroom…

I had no idea the image for the A merry gentleman/Shroud of Little Midnights was until I took a closer look recently. I was just mystified by how shadowy it was. I noticed the briefcase object, but the humanoid look with a pointy hat didn’t click for the longest time.

I saw it as a wrinkled sheet of paper with a bow on it. Needless to say, I feel like a buffoon right now.

Lol, this is the funniest thread XD

Another pic that always confused me was the Prim Baronet’s. I always thought it looked like he didn’t have any pupils. Seriously, is he supposed to be looking down? Back over his shoulder? Every time I see his artwork pop up I always spend a moment or two trying to figure it out and come up with a different answer each time.

It’s kind of a shame since I think he’s actually one of the cutest looking Fallen London characters (I always kinda want to leap into the screen and protect him :P ) but that dead fish stare disturbs me…

[quote=Ridagoth]
I had no idea the image for the A merry gentleman/Shroud of Little Midnights was until I took a closer look recently. I was just mystified by how shadowy it was. I noticed the briefcase object, but the humanoid look with a pointy hat didn’t click for the longest time.[/quote]

Uh oh… it it NOT supposed to be a person with a bottle-opener for a head, the universally recognized symbol for madness??

(I actually think it’s supposed to be one of these: Plague doctor costume - Wikipedia …but I still see the bottle-opener when I look at it)
[li]

Crikey! If it’s turned that colour I think you should probably visit your doctor pretty sharpish! ;)

[quote=Robin Mask]

There’s something disturbingly phallic about that image . . . XD

I think I’ll prefer to think of ‘Touching Love Stories’ as stones, especially now ;)[/quote]

[quote=Charlotte_de_Witte]Crikey! If it’s turned that colour I think you should probably visit your doctor pretty sharpish! ;)
[/quote]

Doctor: Stop hanging out with the Drownies and you’ll be fine. Oh, and a new Midnighter just opened a tanning salon. They could help you with your colour issue.

[quote=Robin Mask][quote=Charlotte_de_Witte]I can totally see it :)

[/quote]

There’s something disturbingly phallic about that image . . . XD

I think I’ll prefer to think of ‘Touching Love Stories’ as stones, especially now ;)[/quote]

Well then! I didn’t know any mushrooms came in that color or shape! I stand corrected.

[quote=Cordelia Blackburne]
Please tell me of Fallen London images you have misinterpreted so that I do not feel alone in my silliness.[/quote]

[li]
For years–yes, years–I thought the Midnight Matriarch was an owl sitting at the end of a branch.

[quote=Cordelia Blackburne]
Uh oh… it it NOT supposed to be a person with a bottle-opener for a head, the universally recognized symbol for madness??

(I actually think it’s supposed to be one of these: Plague doctor costume - Wikipedia …but I still see the bottle-opener when I look at it)[/quote]
He is totally a person with a bottle-opener for a head. I can just see him taking on such a title for lobotomies he performs for those with nightmares. Look out for the bottle-opener, that’s one person you don’t want messing with your head…but the suites at the hotel do look nice!

I agree the plague mask is most likely the case. Still, bottle-opener head leaves such an amusing thought for the character!

I get a similar vibe with Mrs Plenty’s picture too. The wiki has a more detailed picture that helps, but the thumbnail in-game is a little disconcerting. There’s only so much room, but still, the whites of her eyes (sclera) are all I see from time to time.

[quote=Lady Sapho Byron][quote=Cordelia Blackburne]
For years–yes, years–I thought the Midnight Matriarch was an owl sitting at the end of a branch.[/quote]
ME TOO! It wasn’t until I finally got around to inviting the Duchess to a Salon and reading the text, which made me go &quotWait, what? What cat??&quot
edited by AmouryDeDomremy on 1/27/2016

From the time I first unlocked the Forgotten Quarter, the strange shape on the banner’s right side reminded me of the Alien creature from the Ridley Scott movie. I only recently realized it’s meant to be the snout of a horse-statue… :spock:

[quote=phryne]From the time I first unlocked the Forgotten Quarter, the strange shape on the banner’s right side reminded me of the Alien creature from the Ridley Scott movie. I only recently realized it’s meant to be the snout of a horse-statue… :spock:
[/quote]
Oookay, only now, looking at picture in your post, I understood that strange shape in the middle is apparently the Silver Fountain. I’m totally not slow at all.

I definitely also thought this.

…and this.

OMG, I totally see what you mean about Mrs. Plenty! That’s actually creepier looking than the Prim Baronet’s pic! Speaking of whom, I went to the wiki to see if they had a bigger picture of him so I could solve the mystery of where his pupils are, but nope. He still looks like he’s been possessed by aliens.

I guess now we know what was REALLY going on at the Marsh House :P

And yes, I thought the Midnight Matriarch was an owl at first too.

[li]

[quote=Cordelia Blackburne]Well, I feel very silly. I finally realized what the image on Touching Love Stories is supposed to be–a mushroom with a bow tied on it. Even though I knew it couldn’t be right, I have been parsing this strange image for an embarrassingly long time as one of those Christmas-tree-shaped car air fresheners.

This is hilarious. I’ve always vaguely thought of the image as a stone spearhead, but the incongruity never really sunk in.

It’s not a snout, you criminal!