5 Card or Remote Lodgings: Your personal choice?

This was before my time in FL, but from what I read on the wiki (the old wikidot one) some lodgings used to give stats relevant to the old Knife & Candle.

Yes, that’s part of my thinking. It happened before, how hard to make it happen again?

Well if we’re daydreaming about what we’d like, what I’d really love to see is each lodging have its own top-of-the-page picture instead of them all sharing the same one. It’s a little thing that is entirely unnecessary, but it would be a really cool touch.

I mean, there’s there’s one way of ensuring that you’ll never draw City Vices: What Profit again…
All it’ll require is one tiny stain upon your soul.

If anyone would like to begin this exciting new opportunity (don’t) I can swing by & tell you all about it (betray you).

What’s the worst that can happen (everything you know, everything you love, your very self will be destroyed).

All other things aside, Getting a stain will remove City Vices: What Profit.

[quote=memespawn]I mean, there’s there’s one way of ensuring that you’ll never draw City Vices: What Profit again…
All it’ll require is one tiny stain upon your soul.

If anyone would like to begin this exciting new opportunity (don’t) I can swing by & tell you all about it (betray you).

What’s the worst that can happen (everything you know, everything you love, your very self will be destroyed).

All other things aside, Getting a stain will remove City Vices: What Profit.[/quote]

Let’s not forget that it will stop more than just one devil from bothering you, as someone with a stained soul, I can say the permanent damage of my body was worth it.
edited by The Master on 1/23/2017

Unfortunately, that doesn’t work.

Although having a Stain on your soul prevents the 2 devils from pursuing you, it does not prevent the What Profit card from appearing (and appearing, and appearing…). It’s just that you can’t actually use the card to sell you soul.

There is a way to both “keep” your soul and remove What Profit but it’s not easy and does require you to lose your soul in the first place.

Step 1: Lose your soul
Step 2: Start looking for your soul (pay Fate)
Step 3: Do not actually find your soul that way
Step 4: Find your soul in the bundles of oddities

Huh. Maybe I’ve just been lucky ever since I stained my soul? I am at 7, though, not that that should make a difference (anyone want to be betrayed?).

The plural of anecdote is not data, so I’ll trust what someone who can actually check requirements tells me.

I prefer the five-card Lodgings, as they allow me to effectively allow me much more freedom and adaptability throughout Fallen London.

I prefer to keep four cards at all times, replacing unwanted cards like the Master Jewel-Thief (I don’t want to be heartless to the fellow, even if he is annoyingly persistent despite my marriage) and the Young Stags (I prefer the card to the annoyance of leaving a story partially unfinished. I wish it would lock with “A Member in Good Standing”).[li]

As I acquire cards that I want to save, such as “Restoring souls” (my get-out-of-jail-and-death-and-asylum-and-Venderbight-free card), I discard the slots being taken up by unwanted cards.

Besides, the Sardonic Music-Hall Singer is one of my favorite characters, and both of her City Vices cards are actually quite good. Where else can you get a steady supply of Intriguing Snippets?

[quote=memespawn]Huh. Maybe I’ve just been lucky ever since I stained my soul? I am at 7, though, not that that should make a difference (anyone want to be betrayed?).

The plural of anecdote is not data, so I’ll trust what someone who can actually check requirements tells me.[/quote]
Just drew the &quotCity Vices: what profit?&quot card again so I can confirm the requirements:

• Involved in the Soul Trade 5[/li][li]Connected: Hell 5[/li][li]No having Your Very Own Infernal Contract[/li][li]No Remote Address

I use the 5 card, since the Sardonic Music-hall Singer cards are actually profitable. A bit. Sort of.

Remote Address all the way. 5 cards are situationally useful (if you have to hold an eyeless skull for some reason, for example) but remote address does much more to trim your deck than holding onto any 2 particular cards.

I generally prefer the 5 card lodgings due to their role playing aspect and the ability to still be playable while carrying a number of undiscardable options that tend to accumulate during my play, although I do really wish I could shrink my deck more…

I really wish there was a way to upgrade other lodgings (mainly the remote ones) to 4 cards much like you can raise the three main ones to 5.

Note that favours and renown already added an insane amount of undiscardable cards, and it’s not even close to being finished(I don’t want to imagine the cards when it is)…

The moment I get to 5 favours at least 1 undiscardable card appears before I can finish, this adds up with multiple factions, let’s not forget the monkey menace card if you have one for collection purposes or the midnight matriarch and the scuttling squad conflict card(and if you help criminals alot and don’t get lucky enough to get some menace reducing cards you will have to go to a luck based storylet to waste your actions or you will get another one, let’s not even talk about nightmares).

As more factions are switched over to Favours, I probably will start using a 5-card lodging again. Profitable cards may be rarer that way, but things like using conflict cards inefficiently and switching lodgings for the Nadir consume more actions. Drawing unwanted cards means missing out on potential higher profits, but spending additional actions means missing out on a guaranteed profit.

Most conflict cards are use-as-soon-as-drawn, and if you’ve planned out your favor usage well you can avoid the ones you would never play at all. The favor conversion actually takes out several standard frequency cards if you’ve got high connections (there were quite a lot of standard frequency conflict cards).

The big thing that keeps me from using a remote lodgings is the nadir. The 8 action hit is killer and I’m not sure I’d make back the ~14 echoes from slightly better card draws.

The more I think about it the less I think it’s a big deal. Whichever is more fun and/or less frustrating to you, I say. The difference is a matter of a dozen or two echoes a week and if you really want that, you can play slightly more often.

[quote=Kaijyuu]Most conflict cards are use-as-soon-as-drawn, and if you’ve planned out your favor usage well you can avoid the ones you would never play at all. The favor conversion actually takes out several standard frequency cards if you’ve got high connections (there were quite a lot of standard frequency conflict cards).

The big thing that keeps me from using a remote lodgings is the nadir. The 8 action hit is killer and I’m not sure I’d make back the ~14 echoes from slightly better card draws.

The more I think about it the less I think it’s a big deal. Whichever is more fun and/or less frustrating to you, I say. The difference is a matter of a dozen or two echoes a week and if you really want that, you can play slightly more often.[/quote]

You need to note that you can’t just use a conflict card as soon as you get it if you want renown(even if you use connections, that’s renown lost for that faction in the future now…), and the lack of standard frequency conflict cards is a good thing for all lodgings.

Ah, but it’s better for the remote lodgings.

Take two extreme examples: one situation where your deck has no junk cards except City Vices, and one situation where your deck is filled with junk (including City Vices). In the first situation, removing the City Vices cards is a great benefit, whereas the second situation means the difference is inconsequential.

The less non-City Vices junk in the deck, the better the remote lodgings. The more undiscardable cards you expect to have (and the more often you’d have to switch to 5 card lodgings for things like the nadir), the better the 5 card lodgings.

Ah, but it’s better for the remote lodgings.

Take two extreme examples: one situation where your deck has no junk cards except City Vices, and one situation where your deck is filled with junk (including City Vices). In the first situation, removing the City Vices cards is a great benefit, whereas the second situation means the difference is inconsequential.

The less non-City Vices junk in the deck, the better the remote lodgings. The more undiscardable cards you expect to have (and the more often you’d have to switch to 5 card lodgings for things like the nadir), the better the 5 card lodgings.[/quote]

I don’t get what you are trying to say, in both situations you will lose the same amount of cards, remote lodging or not, we were talking about conflict cards not city vices and of course remote lodgings are better if you want less cards in general because you will get less junk cards but in both lodgings you will lose the conflict cards.
edited by The Master on 2/12/2017

Hrm, I’ll try to use some math to explain.

Imagine a deck of 10 possible cards, 5 of which are worth 10 echoes and 5 are City Vices junk. The average value of a draw is 5 echoes (50% chance of getting 10 echoes, 50% chance of getting 0). Going to a remote lodgings gets rid of the 5 junk cards, so the average value of a draw is now 10 echoes.

Now imagine a deck with 5 cards worth 10 echoes, 490 junk cards worth 0, and 5 City Vices worth 0. Average value of a draw: 0.1 echoes (5/500). Go to a remote lodgings and the average value of a draw jumps up to 0.101 (5/495); a gain of a tenth of a pence.

A real deck is obviously more complicated than that but the principle remains the same; removing junk cards gets more valuable the less junk cards you have in your deck. Recent changes have removed the number of junk cards in most people’s decks, ergo remote lodgings becomes more valuable.