Zubmariner comes out today!

How time flies! ;) I’ll send in a ticket in the morning…

I think UK_john has a point in that the Game + DLC bundle costs the same as the DLC sold separately. Having waited to buy the game now would’ve cost you a lot less money than having already bought Sunless Sea, oh say, a year ago and then wanting to buy Zubmariner now. The difference is a good 10 Euro which, for adolescents like me that rely on part-time jobs for their income, is a pretty large sum of money.

Merely an observation, no opinion shall be given.
edited by Infinity Simulacrum on 10/12/2016

I think the key difference there is that if you bought Sunless Sea a year ago, you’d have had got a year’s worth of playtime out of Sunless Sea already.

It’s not exactly unusual for games to go on sale a while after release or when some DLC has just come out. It’s a marketing strategy. If someone hasn’t bought the game already, they may do so at a lower price, but lowering the price sooner after release would lose money on sales that would happen anyway.

It’s a perennial problem - people resent if someone else, for whatever reason, pays less than them for something. Even leaving aside the commercial reasons for such price changes - the market’s willingness to pay more for something brand new; the usefulness of incentive for early adoption; the use of sales to revive interest in an established product; and so on - if a product were to stay at the same price for the entire duration of its availability, then it might be &quotfair&quot in the sense that no-one has paid more than anyone else, but it would be profoundly unfair in that those thrifty euro-counters might never, ever be able to afford it - not even if they were courageous enough to get in during early access, or patient enough to wait for a sale.

Mmkay, I got my Steam key already - so I’ve naturally got it in Steam. For now. But I’m still updating the Humble page every now and then, hoping for the ‘standalone’ version there to update too - so far to no avail. Still version 2.1.2.3064 there. Is (or was) that supposed to change there, too, or am I stuck with Steam for now and that’s how it’s supposed to be? (For the record, I backed the KS with Nex in FL back then.)

[quote=Kyron The Wise][quote=UK_john][b]I paid £11.39 for Sunless Sea. Now I see if I had pre-ordered it, part of kickstarter or just buying the game today for the first, I would get the expansion free,

But because I am one of the many who paid the cash so you were able to keep paying the rent over the last year or so, I get no break at all and am expected to pay ANOTHER £7.99 for the expansion on top of what I already paid! That’s a total of £19.38!

Absolutely ridiculous! Are you trying to lose loyal customers[/b]
edited by UK_john on 10/11/2016
edited by UK_john on 10/11/2016[/quote]

People buying Sunless right now aren’t getting Zub as well. There is a bundle for the both. It also happens to be more expensive than Zubmariner, slightly. The only thing being discounted, standalone or in bundle, is the base game, and FBG reserves the right to put that on sale, which they have done so. Newbies are not paying less for the expack than people who had the game.[/quote]

I am sorry, but go to GOG.com. You get the expansion free with Sunless Sea for the same £7.99 that the expansion alone costs! I am just fed up with being treated like a second class gamer. This is like a customer waiting for a cheap GOTY edition of a game, with all the DLC, and gets it for £10, yet at the same time the DLC’s themselves are never reduced and would still cost, say, £20 to buy separately for someone who bought the game before the DLC’s were released for £35!!! Who keeps the game industry going, me or the guy who waits and spends £10 on everything?

The gaming industry seems to be sending out a message that says - buy it later when it’s cheaper… Which makes them less profitable! If Failbetter are happy to give the expansion away free to people buying Sunless Sea TODAY, then they can give previous purchasers of the game a break!

Zubmariner is 10.99 on GoG as well. In the bundle they cost 17.38.
edited by suinicide on 10/12/2016

[color=#0066ff]As Suinicide points out, the price for both on GOG is £12.88. If you’re seeing otherwise, please email a screengrab to zubmariner@failbettergames.com and I will take it up with the store. [/color]

But then, there’s no real limit on time I have to finish Sunless Sea. If I’d bought another game a year back, I’d have had my fill of whatever for the full year, and could be enjoying Sunless Sea now for the first time. Count in other factors like people being discouraged by the sharp price and preffering to pirate or whatever, and there’s no real way to tell if anyone’s right in the matter.
Like I said, I don’t really have an opinion on the matter, I just buy what I like and if I don’t have the money I’ll wait or work till I do have it, but it’s always nice to understand why other people feel insulted in the whole deal.

That’s… that’s a crime. That’s stealing art from a hardworking indie studio. That’s fairly unambiguous in terms of who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong! Now, no more of this nonsense talk - back on topic, and that topic is, can I move to Scrimshander because I think those people would -get- me.

I didn’t even make it past the door at Scrimshander Sir Frederick. I’m afraid my Absimiliard heard their conditions and said (metaphorically), “Nope, I ain’t enterin’ history yet, and no one gets any pieces of me.”

I’m sure I shouldn’t have, but there it was. (I’ll do it eventually, can’t hold back Curiousity of course, just gonna take a bit for my Abs to want it enough to just give in and enter the settlement.)

I just got the bundle about 3 hours ago, and have only now emerged from the game to share the excitement with good people here! I am still not owner of Zubmarine, since I decided to start with a new Captain, but I am on my way to Khan’s Shadow, hopefully it isn’t too long until I can dive in the deep waters where there is Nothing of Consequence…

Is there any word on when the latest patch will become available for the GOG version?

[color=#0066ff]Prob in the next 3 or 4 hours. Not being on the same timezone as them leads to the occasional delay like this. :)[/color]

Now that Zubmariner’s out, any chance the public release of the Pirate Poet/Cladery Heart DLC is on the horizon? (I’m very excited at the possibility of going under the unterzee in the Heart.)