"You have an opportunity to change your face!"

[li]Hello,
I’m trying to give people a … face. I’ve added the exotic change face thing, and it says &quotYou have an opportunity to change your face! Use it from the Me page.&quot
But - can’t seem to do anything on the Me page to actually … change anything. Or find anything to change …
(arrgh)[/li][li]
I feel like I’m being spectacularly bad at this.[/li][li]
edited by Jack on 9/5/2013

The exotic effect isn’t actually how you grant an avatar quality to people. Instead, you need to make a new quality, maybe call it Face or something (I don’t think there’s any way for a player to even see the quality name anyway) and set it to the Avatar quality. Then, under &quotLevel options&quot, you can give Level Images to the quality.
So say, 1 is a picture of a man, 2 is a picture of a woman and 3 is a picture of a roast chicken; you then set the quality like any other. So you set up a Face Change storylet with 3 branches; the first sets the quality to 1, the second to 2 and the third to 3. So if someone picks a branch, they’ll get the corresponding avatar in the top left.

i don’t really think i explained this that well at all, but if you ctrl-f &quotAvatar&quot in the Storynexus Reference you’ll get another, probably less vague explanation of the whole thing from the Failbetter staff themselves.
edited by Spacemarine9 on 9/5/2013

[quote=Spacemarine9]The exotic effect isn’t actually how you grant an avatar quality to people. Instead, you need to make a new quality, maybe call it Face or something (I don’t think there’s any way for a player to even see the quality name anyway) and set it to the Avatar quality. Then, under &quotLevel options&quot, you can give Level Images to the quality.
So say, 1 is a picture of a man, 2 is a picture of a woman and 3 is a picture of a roast chicken; you then set the quality like any other. So you set up a Face Change storylet with 3 branches; the first sets the quality to 1, the second to 2 and the third to 3. So if someone picks a branch, they’ll get the corresponding avatar in the top left.

i don’t really think i explained this that well at all, but if you ctrl-f &quotAvatar&quot in the Storynexus Reference you’ll get another, probably less vague explanation of the whole thing from the Failbetter staff themselves.
edited by Spacemarine9 on 9/5/2013[/quote]

You’re hired. (Thank you. It seems I do need a computer ninja to make this do what my word brain desires.)

So er … what does that exotic effect do then, if anything? And do I have to choose the face for them - I can’t give them a FL like choice?
[li][/li][li]
edited by Jack on 9/6/2013

You can give them a FL like choice, by having it split in two, I guess…

That exotic effect doesn’t actually do anything at all, from what I’ve seen. I think it’s a FL legacy thing, a few of the exotic effects are.

You have to provide the avatars yourself by setting the Quality Level Images and then making a story that lets players select the one they want. They can’t just select whatever image from the Storynexus database they want or anything like that.

I have it set up like this, to give an example; There’s a pinned storylet called the Emblem Emporium. It has fourteen branches; each one gives a different level of an Avatar quality named Emblem. Each level of the quality has an attached image (so, for instance, Emblem 1 is Rat, Emblem 2 is Brew and so on.) Each branch in the Emporium is set up to say “Choose the Emblem of the {thing}”. So the one entitled “Choose the Emblem of the Brew” sets the Emblem quality to 2, giving the player the roast chicken avatar.

I can explain further with screenshots and things if needs be! But maybe that’ll do.

[quote=Spacemarine9]That exotic effect doesn’t actually do anything at all, from what I’ve seen. I think it’s a FL legacy thing, a few of the exotic effects are.

You have to provide the avatars yourself by setting the Quality Level Images and then making a story that lets players select the one they want. They can’t just select whatever image from the Storynexus database they want or anything like that.

I have it set up like this, to give an example; There’s a pinned storylet called the Emblem Emporium. It has fourteen branches; each one gives a different level of an Avatar quality named Emblem. Each level of the quality has an attached image (so, for instance, Emblem 1 is Rat, Emblem 2 is Brew and so on.) Each branch in the Emporium is set up to say &quotChoose the Emblem of the {thing}&quot. So the one entitled &quotChoose the Emblem of the Brew&quot sets the Emblem quality to 2, giving the player the roast chicken avatar.

I can explain further with screenshots and things if needs be! But maybe that’ll do.[/quote]

I have seen that storylet. That makes sense - and really helps. Thank you!
[li]