Writing a Vanilla Letter Should be a Free Action in Every Sense

It’s really annoying that I have to burn an action (and a penny) just to be able to inform someone that I won’t be able to accept an invite for tea until later in the week.

Literally the only reason to restrict sending non-mechanically advantageous post that way is to prevent spam… and no one uses social actions to communicate besides me anyways.

Mind saving me some echoes on stamps?

1 Like

I do, when I can’t invite someone to coffee or tea, which I do because, if I’m going to be bothering someone I better give them a small benefit to offset it-and the one penny limit really is nothing. It’s one bloody penny! It might as well be nothing to anyone actually looking to send messages. Now the action cost, that I can see, at least on the surface of it-but it does have an advantage-letting you deliver a message to another player-even if it’s not a mechanical one, so that justifies it in my opinion.

4 Likes

How else are we supposed to communicate with other players if not via social actions? It seems that regardless of the social action (e.g. healing wounds) you have a chance to send a message to another player and these all cost an action. I have sent messages asking questions to other players many times using the message box in social interactions. I do agree that a simple message without mechanical benefit should not cost an action but I disagree with, “no one uses social actions to communicate”.

4 Likes

This is just speculation, but perhaps one behind-the-scenes reason it takes an action is to make it harder for a potential bad actor to flood FL’s servers with millions of spam messages between bot accounts.

7 Likes

That’s Very probable, actually: what you described is a very common attack, and honestly that’s a quite clever way of defending against it on fbg’s part.

1 Like

Absolute worst-case scenario if that happened would be free mugs of darkdrop and a reversion to the old system.

It just sucks that I have to burn mechanically useful actions on literal niceties.

iirc this is why they even did it in the first place; I’m on a new account now but on my Very Old Days Account I remember there being a lot more server stutters than now. I can’t say for sure, but I suspect that realistically when they implemented the action costs before it went live the servers were already barely holding together.

3 Likes

If I have to send a message I just look to see if the other player comes up on the list for sending a wounds or nightmare menace assist and send the message with that. The action goes towards something useful to the other player.

3 Likes

The only problem is that for that to work the recipient has to be sufficiently menaced first.

The players I exchange stuff with typically are, but yes, that is a limitation.

I also use actions to communicate…who knows, maybe there would be spammers if they made it free

It kind of has a role-playing effect too, as if you’re really using your time to write the message and send it in the game. It doesn’t bother me, but then again I don’t mind advancing the story slowly, my character isn’t even a Person of Some Importance yet.

2 Likes

Ohhhh-enjoy your pre-posi adventures! That was one of the most fan parts of the game for me, although I’m sure many will disagree.

1 Like