Wikia is detestable garbage

It seems that in the first instance, the wiki is not agreeing with your cell phone. On my computer, CP changes are almost always listed as either unknown or numerical values.

I’m not sure what your problem with the companion list is . . . .

[quote=DonaghyLogan]
I’m not sure what your problem with the companion list is . . . .[/quote]

No names.

And yeah… wikia’s mobile site isn’t the best.

[quote=DonaghyLogan]I’m not sure what your problem with the companion list is . . . .[/quote]It’s the total and egregious lack of names. Who’s that at the top of the list? The wiki isn’t gonna tell me. I can only find out by clicking the image, taking a key part of the URL (in this case, &quoturchingirlsmall&quot), plugging that into a web search, and hoping another wikia page shows up. How terribly user-friendly.

If possible, switch to Desktop Mode. Until they fix this issue, that should work.

Fixed (I hope)

Loss still doesn’t work on mobile, but the other templates seem to work properly. Good work.

If you were a real tryhard, you’d recognize the images and stats without need for the name.

The name.

THE NA-

In which Anchovies realizes their folly

[quote=Azothi]If possible, switch to Desktop Mode. Until they fix this issue, that should work.[/quote]And here I was thinking there simply wasn’t such an option. I’d have expected it to be in the menu at the top left, but no; it’s hidden at the very, very, very, very bottom of the page. Thank you very much for mentioning that the option existed.

I still don’t like wikia, though. Since they reorganized and took on the Fandom branding they’ve been annoyingly pushy about their non-wiki content, which is strewn with direct advertisements and with no-doubt-paid promoted links to other sites. I’m personally of the opinion that we should take our wiki and our web-traffic over to gamepedia, where the Sunless Sea wiki has got on just fine.

edit: oh, neat, did my complaint end up getting the attention of someone who knew how to fix the templates? Bravo, dov!
edited by Anchovies on 7/12/2017

Example?

Actually, is that template even still used? I was testing all the templates I could think of through the mobile site preview option, rather than looking for pages that used them.

“Loss” isn’t used normally. Maybe on some old pages. Generally it’s either “Drop” or “Gone” (if it applies).

Yeah. That’s been working for me. Scroll down to the bottom of the page in the mobile browser and click on &quotVIEW FULL SITE&quot and it gives you the desktop version. It’s fine in that form.

We still use the Gain/Loss templates where a quality increases/drops but the message to be displayed is custom.

Example: http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Silencing_the_Fence

[quote=Tystefy]If you were a real tryhard, you’d recognize the images and stats without need for the name.

The name.

THE NA-[/quote]

I’ve obviously been far too long in the game because I never noticed that there weren’t any names!!!

Yeah, I’ve gotten used to just having my phone browser (Chrome) “Request Desktop Site” from the most readily available menu, which I actually also do for these forums as I hate it’s mobile format

That sure is a half-assed presentation of the wiki on mobiles.

That said, the user who started this thread might be barking up the wrong tree here. Failbetter’s staff don’t administer or design the Wikia sites - Fandom does.

In this very particular case it was my fault, as I had assigned the template causing the problem and didn’t notice it wouldn’t work on mobile. Fortunately dov fixed the problem right after becoming aware of it.

In general, it would be nice to contact us either on wikia, reddit or here and let us know if there’s a problem instead of starting flaming right away. The wiki is a community project and every bit of information in there has been added by players in their free time, trying to help other players.

Edit: I just noticed that some pages are still not displayed correctly. If you come across such a page, go to Edit -> Refresh. This will cause a rebuild of the page using the correct templates. Even unregistered users can do that. However, I think the Edit menu is only displayed in the browser-view (at least I couldn’t find it on mobile).
edited by rahv7 on 7/14/2017

And I for one have used it a lot and found it to be extremely helpful! Thanks to all of those who have contributed - it really helped me figure out a lot about how to play the game, which made it less stressful to learn!

I don’t think Anchovies is raging at the volunteers of our wiki so much as raging at &quotthem evil Wikia company folks and their annoying layout changes&quot.

Which is… a fairly common bit of sentiment, really. There was some considerable rage at the jump from Monobook to the new layout before, too, and any services large enough tend to ruffles a lot of feathers with any change.
edited by Estelle Knoht on 7/14/2017

“Detestable garbage” is a bit strong for describing a thorough and helpful fan wiki that happened to have some formatting issues, whoever its parent company. I’d suggest future discussions of such issues could instead be titled something like… “Formatting Issues on Wikia”, for instance!