Why isn't there an "s" in Mr Iron's name?

We have 16 &quotMr&quots if double-counting is allowed: Apples, Candles, Chimes, Cups, Eaten, Fires, Hearts, Iron, Mirrors, Names, Pages, Sacks, Spices, Stones, Veils, Wines.
15 if Mr Names is excluded, 13 if a certain dead one are rejected, 11 if two possible &quotshared accounts&quot are removed, and 9 if some traded names are ruled out. All of them except Mr Iron and the eaten one have an &quots&quot in their names. Maybe I am a little OCD but Mr Iron always catches my eye when I list the names of the Masters. Consider Fires and Wines, it doesn’t seem to be a matter of &quotcountable&quot versus &quotuncountable&quot: Mr Iron is the purveyor of more than one sort of iron, I suppose. Or is it simply to avoid the ambiguity of chains?
edited by Fadewalker on 7/30/2016

He was previously the Khan of Knives in the Fourth City, so it is not a weird quirk?

A development! You are now [b]Seeking Mr Iron’s name.

[/b][spoiler]Turns out it’s actually &quotRon&quot. &quotI, Ron.&quot

You are no longer Seeking Mr Iron’s name.[/spoiler]

Yes, the Khan of Swords who does not speak, so it is at least not always a weird quirk. But I wonder why he doesn’t fit in this &quotformat&quot in London…

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]A development! You are now [b]Seeking Mr Iron’s name.

[/b][spoiler]Turns out it’s actually &quotRon&quot. &quotI, Ron.&quot

You are no longer Seeking Mr Iron’s name.[/spoiler][/quote]

What shall I do to seek Mr Iron’s name? Mute myself for 7 years and loom over 7 cakes, I think? BEWARE SUGAR. BEWARE CREAM. BEWARE CALORIES.

Iron is uncountable. Wines and Fires are countable.

[quote=Fadewalker]Consider Fires and Wines, it doesn’t seem to be a matter of &quotcountable&quot versus &quotuncountable&quot: Mr Iron is the purveyor of more than one sort of iron, I suppose.[/quote]There are different sorts of iron??

[quote=Curious Foreigner]Iron is uncountable. Wines and Fires are countable.[/quote]I would agree with that. Even if there should be different sorts of iron, I have never heard anyone say &quotBring me two irons!&quot - except when meaning shackles/chains.
edited by phryne on 7/30/2016

Well, a blacksmith might have several irons in the fire. A duellist might lunge at their opponent with an iron in each hand. A whaler might appear on deck, armed with a set of irons.

[quote=phryne][quote=Fadewalker]Consider Fires and Wines, it doesn’t seem to be a matter of &quotcountable&quot versus &quotuncountable&quot: Mr Iron is the purveyor of more than one sort of iron, I suppose.[/quote]There are different sorts of iron??

[quote=Curious Foreigner]Iron is uncountable. Wines and Fires are countable.[/quote]I would agree with that. Even if there should be different sorts of iron, I have never heard anyone say &quotBring me two irons!&quot - except when meaning shackles/chains.
edited by phryne on 7/30/2016[/quote]
I’m not a native English speaker so forgive me if I’m wrong, I look it up in the Oxford English Dictionary and it says: Iron noun definition 2 with 2 examples

[quote=Fadewalker][quote=phryne][quote=Fadewalker]Consider Fires and Wines, it doesn’t seem to be a matter of &quotcountable&quot versus &quotuncountable&quot: Mr Iron is the purveyor of more than one sort of iron, I suppose.[/quote]There are different sorts of iron??

I’m not a native English speaker so forgive me if I’m wrong, I look it up in the Oxford English Dictionary and it says: Iron noun definition 2 with 2 examples [/quote]
Except that there are 5 definitions of the noun on the very page you’ve linked, along with 1 verb. Also, &quot[color=rgb(42, 42, 42)]A tool or implement now or originally made of iron&quot can apply to a lot of different things, and this is what Sir Frederick was referring to here.[/color]
[color=rgb(42, 42, 42)]
[/color]
[color=#2a2a2a]Edit: sorry for having half the message unreadable unless highlighted. That’s a problem with this forum: can’t copy text from another site without messing the system up.[/color]
edited by Vavakx Nonexus on 7/30/2016

Hmmmmm. All I can think of, reading this thread, is that maybe it was Mr. Irons once, but Mr. Wines wanted specific dominion over shackles and chains - ‘the countable irons’, for his Parlour of Virtue, which is curiously a part of Wines’ domain, perhaps suggesting prior intrigues of this kind also. And thus, Mr. Wines stole the “s” right out of Mr. Irons name and put it on the menu of the Parlour, where it remains to this day.

[quote=Vavakx Nonexus]

Except that there are 5 definitions of the noun on the very page you’ve linked, along with 1 verb. Also, &quotA tool or implement now or originally made of iron&quot can apply to a lot of different things, and this is what Sir Frederick was referring to here.
Edit: sorry for having half the message unreadable unless highlighted. That’s a problem with this forum: can’t copy text from another site without messing the system up.
edited by Vavakx Nonexus on 7/30/2016[/quote]
(It is because some format remains in your clipboard when you copy text from another site, you can first paste it into a txt file and then copy-paste it from the txt if you are using Windows.)

[quote=phryne]There are different sorts of iron??
Mr Iron domains &quotTools, weapons, engines&quot. So yes, I think there are different sorts of iron.

You. I’m calling the special constables.

Is he also the Master in charge of neatly pressed slacks and wrinkle-free shirts? :P

Maybe we can Iron Veils and put it into an undertaker’s laundry basket with feet…Oh, sorry, I didn’t know it’s you, Mr Spices.

Mr Iron doesn’t oversee the trade of irons, he oversees the trade of things made of iron. Iron (as in the thing things made out of iron are made of) is uncountable, as seen for example here: iron_1 noun - Definition, pictures, pronunciation and usage notes | Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com
edited by Curious Foreigner on 7/30/2016

My point exactly, Curious Foreigner! I always understood the ‘iron’ in Mr Iron to mean the chemical element and the things industry makes out of it (steel etc), and that’s definitely uncountable.

[quote=Curious Foreigner]Mr Iron doesn’t oversee the trade of irons, he oversees the trade of things made of iron. Iron (as in the thing things made out of iron are made of) is uncountable, as seen for example here: iron_1 noun - Definition, pictures, pronunciation and usage notes | Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com
edited by Curious Foreigner on 7/30/2016[/quote]

Maybe that is the point. I don’t know where I got such an impression that the Iron & Misery weapons are applied with more than one kind of metal, at least some copper, maybe from Sunless Sea, but maybe the main and core parts of all his weapons and tools are made of iron and steel, so in his name there is only one iron, without any &quots&quot.

[quote=Fadewalker]We have 16 &quotMr&quots if double-counting is allowed: Apples, Candles, Chimes, Cups, Eaten, Fires, Hearts, Iron, Mirrors, Names, Pages, Sacks, Spices, Stones, Veils, Wines.
15 if Mr Names is excluded, 13 if a certain dead one are rejected, 11 if two possible &quotshared accounts&quot are removed, and 9 if some traded names are ruled out.[/quote]

For the record, there are cannonically 11 masters. Once, there were 12.

Now, I’m picturing Mr. Iron using an Iron at an Ironing Board, trying to get the wrinkles out of clothes.

…Wait a minute. He is secretly trying to take over Mr. Veil’s job!

He’d name himself Mr. Metal(s), but then people would expect him to bring an electric guitar everywhere.