Why I am Supporting Her Royal Highness

Fallen London is dreary, dismal, decrepit, and, altogether, not very nice to look at. There is no greater testament to this sad reality then the fact that so many Londoners flee daily into the sickly sweet embrace of honey dreams. There they hope to find the beauty, light, and excitement missing from their dreadful, dim lives.

The Captivating Princess herself is no exception to this rule; for all her wealth, she longs for the awe inspiring charms, sights, and treasures of faraway places: the Surface, the High Wilderness, and the Elder Continent. The honey she uses might be a slightly different shade from the usual, but her motives are essentially the same as any Vielgarden Bohemian or Society Heiress. In this sense the Princess represents the spirit of Fallen London far better than any other candidate. Her infamous depravity arises from the ever present dullness of our half-ruined neathtropolis.

The solution is to make the real, waking world as beautiful and exciting as any honey dream. The pleasures of Parabola and faraway places will lose their luster in comparison to the city’s new grandeur. In this way the compulsive dreamers shall be coaxed to remain with us a little longer each day. The Neath has many artists and visionaries who can accomplish this great work, whether at home or across the Unterzee, but until now denial and complacency have stopped our city from bringing them together.

The Captivating Princess has been accused of narcissism, of focusing purely on her own wants and desires. This is certainly true, but her medicine will also be London’s medicine. In diverting herself from her addictions, she will help all her subjects. And for this reason I am proud to help Make London Magnificent for Her.

I best most people in London are Narcists or Hedonists. Thus it’d make sense if the Princess won!

Why I Am Not Supporting Her Royal Highness

Simply put: I find her campaign shallow. Not in the sense that it’s a poor campaign, per se, but that it’s a poor solution for what it claims to achieve. The Princess focuses exclusively on beauty and appearance. What good will it do to the honey-wretches, the soulless, the simply unfortunate, living in poverty and squalor, if their quarter is decorated and now they live in lustrous squalor? No-one builds a house and declares, &quothere will stand a ramshackle building filled with moulds and mildew, for the poor to live in&quot. No; such things happen over time, precisely because the poor live there. Decorate it, and, yes, I admit that for a time - however brief - London as a whole will resplend again; perhaps even the poor will enjoy the new looks; but a beautiful house does not provide food, clothing, medicine, freedom from life-destroying addictions, and all the other very real problems faced by the unfortunate of this city. Nothing will really change in their daily lives, and within a short time you can be sure things will go back to the way they were. At best, the Princess as mayor might endeavour to keep things up at her own (or rather, the city’s) expense; but it will certainly not last beyond her term.

Is that wrong? I am not arguing either way; I respect anyone’s desire to vote for a candidate that does nothing of substance to improve the lot of the less fortunate. However, what’s wrong is suggesting that the Princess is not exactly such a candidate. Tell me, what good will an art competition do to those who beg for scraps of food, or who drown their sorrows in the back-alleys of spite? If the alleys should be redecorated - they will still be drowning the very same sorrows in the very same alleys.

In a honey-dream you need not eat, or drink, or sleep; after a dream, good or bad, you wake up and, if you so desire, never come back there again. The real world is not so, and &quotbeauty and excitement&quot serve little purpose if the rest of your life is in shambles. You say her medicine is London’s medicine, but I say that it is not medicine - what would the Princess need medicine for? It is to medicine what a bottle of exotic wine is to a vial of pharmaceutical tonic. It’s purely entertainment and hedonism, something to tickle the fancy of mind and soul. And her lavish hedonism may well be London’s lavish hedonism, but is that really what our city needs?

Perhaps. But do not pretend that this is what our city’s ordinary, less-fortunate citizens need.
edited by Dudebro Pyro on 6/28/2018

[quote=Anne Auclair] Fallen London is dreary, dismal, decrepit, and, altogether, not very nice to look at.[/quote]Are you sure the reason is, &quotLondon denied art&quot and not &quotLondon is damn poor and surrounded by assorted carnivores&quot?

[quote] Her medicine will also be London’s medicine. [/quote]Yeah, I bet both tax-payers and criminals would greatly appreciate the wonders of monumental architecture on Spite.

[quote] In diverting herself from her addictions, she will help all her subjects.[/quote]Maybe let’s elect the Vake next year, it also needs a diversion from its human-hunting addiction.
edited by incerteza on 6/28/2018

The Princess is a walking testament to the destructive power of unchecked intemperance, a sobering reminder that drugs can turn even the most charming, beautiful and cultured person into a desperate addict. If her reckless consumption of a substance too vile and dangerous to even be properly illegal wasn’t damning enough, her current campaign shows that even red honey - one of the hardest drugs available in the Neath - can no longer satisfy her cravings. Like a drunkard in the throes of delirium who is chugging all liquids in sight, no matter how poisonous, she leaps from diversion to diversion, and it’s only a matter of time before disaster strikes.

I respectfully submit that the Princess is entirely unfit for the Mayoral office due to the clear and present danger that her state poses to herself, those around her and London as a whole. Like any other late-stage honey sufferer, she needs to undergo extensive medical care (including total abstinence from the wretched stuff) before she can be again considered a full member of society.

Once her recovery is complete, I will be the first in line to express my support. Until then, I implore Her Royal Highness: &quotPull yourself together!&quot
edited by Passionario on 6/28/2018

[quote=incerteza][quote=Anne Auclair] Fallen London is dreary, dismal, decrepit, and, altogether, not very nice to look at.[/quote]Are you sure the reason is, &quotLondon denied art&quot and not &quotLondon is damn poor and surrounded by assorted carnivores&quot?

Yeah, I bet both tax-payers and criminals would greatly appreciate the wonders of monumental architecture on Spite.[/quote]
Exactly why an art contest sponsored by Her Royal Highness is such a tremendous idea, fewer of your precious tax-payer echoes will be ‘wasted’ on it and it will give artists an opportunity for showcase their work and gain new commissions, some even of royal degree, all paid for by the palace. And who knows, large building projects requires workers which would create new jobs and opportunities for the less fortunate.

The Princess’ ideas may seem frivolous and shallow to those of a practical mindset, but it’s the first step in an historically proven way to help a a poor nation get back on its feet and strive for something more than it is.

And quite frankly, yes, criminals and tax-payers are humans too (most of them anyway, do devils pay taxes?) I’m sure they wouldn’t mind watching something to inspire wonder and pride.

I for one would rather see a London that is proud of its new heritage and aspiring to do better, rather than one drowning in its own melancholy and regret. And if splendorous new marvels for the city is the first step in that direction, then I will personally be happy to help.

[quote=incerteza]Maybe let’s elect the Vake next year, it also needs a diversion from its human-hunting addiction.
[/quote]

What a silly proposition, why would we ever need to elect the Vake when it already sit in office full-time?

It is one thing to be hedonistic to the point of trampling everyone else to get your Desire. But to cast a vote for someone who is hedonistic and narcissistic - this is pure self destruction, worhty of a Seeker.
Of course, one might think they are well above such concerns for the Princess would only prey on the lowly ones. Of course, these people will be soon reminded that in her red eyes, we are all lower than low. Spite may be a nusiance for you, but for her, there is no difference between Spite and your opulous residence.
edited by Jolanda Swan on 6/28/2018

[quote=Akernis]all paid for by the palace.[/quote]And the palace gathers money out of thin air, and pouring these money into the city’s economy would not cause a devaluation?

[quote]it’s the first step in an historically proven way to help a a poor nation get back on its feet.[/quote]Honestly, I’m awful at history. I work with statistics, though, and cannot it be that the cause and effect are switched here? That once a nation actually gets enough resources to get back on its feet, it can start investing into art?

Kind of. You are entirely correct in that art for its own sake generally only become a thing once a nation is fairly wealthy, Greece, Rome, Spain, England, and France in their respective golden ages all comes to mind.

But state-created construction projects such as houses, bridges, roads, revisions of poorer districts (such as the one the Princess proposed for Spite) is one of the ways that a nation can create jobs and help economy flow again.

Of course, like many things when it comes to actual history it isn’t guaranteed to work. Sometimes it helps create a steady income for more people which help the money circulate back into the system, and at other times it just leads to huge loans that the state might not be able to pay off etc.

Investment in development can be a boon, for sure, but clearing out houses, shops, and factories, only to replace them with pleasure palaces that, in the long term, only significantly economically engage the wealthy… that seems likely to do more harm than good.

There is a difference between building museums in a problematic area and demolishing houses where people actually live to build places that only a few will benefit from.
Now, if the princess was considered compassionate or even effective in politics, one could give her project the benefit of the doubt. But when one doesn’t know that people use doors to go through, well, even if she was well-intentioned I doubt you would trust her with public works.
I have no doubt that any support for her plans is due to her good looks. Imagine the Detective or the Campaigner making such a proposition, and examine what your reaction would be.

Supporting the Captivating Princess to advance Temperance is like going to the Cave of the Nadir to improve one’s memory.

Perhaps you ought to be more careful what you say about the beloved Princess, sweet things. If you’re really so appalled by a little honey-sipping and some peculiarities of diet, it stands to reason you’d be far keener to avoid the edge of her carving knife. But perhaps that’s your problem, yes? You’re drawn in by the luscious possibilities she presents, the midnight liberties she embodies, but your own cowardice holds you back, and you resent her for taking the leap that you cannot. Perhaps. But know this: Her artistic transformation of London will bring more wealth to the people than any charity ever could. Wealth measured in self-knowledge, in redemptive transformation, in the enlightenment that flits at the ragged edges of desire, and in tear-stained tatters of still-living flesh. To offer this shows wisdom and compassion beyond the capacity of ordinary Londoners. To offer anything less only demonstrates the shallowness of your love.[li]

[quote=Gul al-Ahlaam] Her artistic transformation of London will bring more wealth to the people than any charity ever could. Wealth measured in self-knowledge, in redemptive transformation, in the enlightenment that flits at the ragged edges of desire, and in tear-stained tatters of still-living flesh.
[/quote]
So in layman’s terms, what London actually needs is some kinky art?

Forgetting something you’d rather not know can count as an improvement.

Careful? Careful?

[quote=incerteza][quote=Anne Auclair] Fallen London is dreary, dismal, decrepit, and, altogether, not very nice to look at.[/quote]Are you sure the reason is, &quotLondon denied art&quot and not &quotLondon is damn poor and surrounded by assorted carnivores&quot?

[quote] Her medicine will also be London’s medicine. [/quote]Yeah, I bet both tax-payers and criminals would greatly appreciate the wonders of monumental architecture on Spite.

[quote] In diverting herself from her addictions, she will help all her subjects.[/quote]Maybe let’s elect the Vake next year, it also needs a diversion from its human-hunting addiction.
edited by incerteza on 6/28/2018[/quote]

Though why the Vake would run is beyond me, if as is said it is Mr. Veils. For a Master, being Mayor would be a step down.

[quote=Jolanda Swan]
I have no doubt that any support for her plans is due to her good looks.[/quote]
I honestly just want a public arts festival. And Her Highness’s public art festival is very well thought out.

Probably nothing. But then, none of the candidates are really offering to help the poor this year. In fact, one could argue that Slowcake and the Contrarian plan to make their lives worse through infernal surveillance and inferior policing, respectively. I think the Princess honestly has the best platform when it comes to helping London. If she were running against, say, Sinning Jenny, the Bishop of Southwark, or the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner then that would not be true - but she’s not running against those people, is she?

[quote=Jolanda Swan]
Of course, one might think they are well above such concerns for the Princess would only prey on the lowly ones.[/quote]
Actually, as the Princess preys on her suitors and courtiers and people with exciting memories, she usually consumes people much higher up the social ladder then the average Londoner. Ironically, these also happen to be the high Society people who support the Throne and that the Revolutionaries want to kill. Perhaps explaining this rare burst of genuine emotion from the Contrarian:

The Jovial Contrarian’s grin is wicked. &quotOh, I think she’s superb. I can’t think of anything worse that could happen to the monarchy.&quot

I mean, think about it for a second - if the Princess hates Spite because its drab and ugly, would she drink the memories of someone who lived there their whole life? No, she likes drinking the memories of people who have seen the Surface, Space, or the lands across the Zee - memories full of pleasurable and exciting sensations, sights, wonders, treasures. In short, it’s a lot more dangerous to be someone like Feducci, the Merchant Venturer, or His Amused Lordship…or yourself, for that matter (as the Gift shows).

This isn’t a defense btw or saying that this is somehow better then preying on the poor. I’m just pointing out you’ve got this particular predator/serial killer pegged wrong when it comes to her usual choice of victims.

I also think it worth pointing out that there seems to be a clear link between Her Highnesses Red Honey consumption and her artistic endeavors and support of imperialism. She wants the physical things she’s seen in her scarlet dreams physically brought to London.

Come to think of it, one could also argue that in summoning the leading artists from across the Neath she’d also be summoning quite a few potential victims…people with exciting and pleasurable memories… But hopefully her Highness will be too busy actually building things to take advantage of that.
edited by Anne Auclair on 6/28/2018

Slowcake doesn’t pretend that he will improve the lot of anyone in particular - he just wants a different order, and of course he argues that it’s &quotbetter&quot in some vague terms, but doesn’t really state why or for whom. The Contrarian plays a double or triple game with the Constabulary, but I believe that whatever his agenda is, he truly cares for London: more on this below.

And here’s where I fundamentally disagree. London is its citizens; there’s also stuff like the historical heritage, but that’s already been mangled pretty much beyond repair (or would need heavily revolutionary measures to restore - as seen in The Bones of London), or the notable architecture and landmarks - but those are not under any particular threat. The citizens, the Londoners, are what truly makes London, and they are suffering. Helping London doesn’t necessarily mean suddenly uplifting everyone out of poverty, or establishing a welfare state, for instance; a long-term plan to improve living conditions could work just as well.

Here is why I say the Contrarian is good for London: not only has he expressed patriotic feelings (and criticized the Princess for lack of those), but as far as we know his stated goals would improve the lives of everyone. What’s the most basic goal of the Revolution, after all? To rid the city of the tyrannical rule of the Masters and the Bazaar. The Liberation of the Night just happens to be the path to it. (One can argue that it’s the other way around - especially since there’s good evidence of the Liberation being something far bigger than London - but from the point of view of debating London politics, the first interpretation makes more sense.) Forget the Liberation for a second; is freeing London from the Bazaar’s rule a good thing? Almost certainly, unless it were to descend into chaos and anarchy worse than the Master’s rule.
So what does the Contrarian do? He supports the Revolution… but not the Liberation. Those destinies precisely about chaos and anarchy once the Liberation happens? Obviously not caused by the Masters departing, but by what made them depart in the first place. Without the Liberation, if there was a &quotthird way&quot, you’d get all the benefits with almost none of the drawbacks. Someone as level-headed as the Contrarian, were he in charge of the changeover, would almost certainly make proper arrangements for an interim government that would keep basic order and prevent the city from crumbling into chaos, from where a new life could be built.

So is this good for London? Fundamentally, I can’t fathom how one could argue it’s not: the vast majority of the problems in London right now are caused by the Masters and the Bazaar. The few exceptions are caused by other Neathy inhabitants and phenomena, but exacerbated by the defacto government not doing anything (and the parliamentary &quotofficial&quot government being essentially useless nowadays, by all accounts). Remove the Masters, and it’s not a question of whether there would be benefits, it’s a question of whether any drawbacks would outweigh the vast benefits. There is a good case to be made that the Liberation is so awful for the common man that, indeed, it manages to do so; but the Contrarian’s stated &quotthird way&quot simply doesn’t have anything nearly as bad going for it, so it would have to work very hard indeed to not result in a net positive for the city.

And the Princess? She wants an art competition. And a redecoration. My argument wasn’t only about how this doesn’t directly benefit the poor - neither do the Contrarian’s schemes - but also about how it’s entirely useless in the long-term. Tick forward your plans for a grand reform for the common good, and said common good is a step closer - even if nothing tangible improves right now. Decorate the streets and fund some artists, and not only is everyone else still just as poor and hungry, but you have achieved nothing for the future and they will continue to be poor and hungry.

We, thankfully, have history to show her idea is doomed to fail.

Basically, urban renewal’s goal was to improve city living. This was done by destroying supposedly low quality housing, and making better housing in its place. Thus, landlords charged higher rent and eventually threw out their lodgers, who were now both poor and homeless. Unless her Highness wishes to house the people she displaces in the Palace herself, I doubt she has the attention span, nevertheless the magnanimity or humility to help those lower than herself. If the results displease her, much like her campaign, she will just ignore it and move on.

worddump finishes