Which members of the Seven are mandatory?

When seeking the immortality ambition, I know that certain members of the Seven require finding replacements if the originals are somehow indisposed. The financier was one that definitely couldn’t rejoin the group, so you had to seek his fiance as a replacement. I remember seeing three options to investigate other potential replacements. Surprisingly, I only had to follow through with the one seeking Isery as a replacement guide for Lorenzo.

This makes me wonder if there was in fact a way to recruit Lorenzo that I missed somewhere. Is there an option available if you put off his quest line and delay his mothification? It just seems odd that only one of those three options would be manadatory. I’d also like the option for future captains to seek immortality without having to kiss up to Isery and be onboard with the whole Red Honey business.

I tried getting all of the original Seven in my second playthrough of this ambition. I tried putting off his quest and searching the 'Neath for a (temporary) cure, but sadly I don’t think there’s any way you can get Lorenzo (or Mr. Lytton for that matter) to join you. =C

Afterwards a cursory look through the game files seemed to affirm this - though I am no experienced dataminer, so someone better than I might find a way.
(I just searched events_import.json for all mentions of “Guide” and “Financier”)

I see. Any idea what happens if you’ve previously pissed off Isery by either rejecting his patronage or returning without the Scholar’s notes? Does it just become impossible to complete the ambition?

If Isery isn’t your patron, you lose like 6-7 stats in the recruitment process. You can choose a stat to remain untouched. The sooner you get this out of the way, the better… before you hit 100 on any stats would be ideal.
edited by Bino on 10/19/2016

[quote=Bino]If Isery isn’t your patron, you lose like 6-7 stats in the recruitment process. You can choose a stat to remain untouched. The sooner you get this out of the way, the better… before you hit 100 on any stats would be ideal.
edited by Bino on 10/19/2016[/quote]

Ugh, it sucks that we have to kiss up to that smug bastard. Of all the members to make mandatory, why him? Can’t I just go recruit Lorenzo’s moth?

[quote=Scienceandponies]

Ugh, it sucks that we have to kiss up to that smug bastard. Of all the members to make mandatory, why him? Can’t I just go recruit Lorenzo’s moth?[/quote]

It’s the guy that takes Secrets or Recent News that upset me…I was too lazy to stick to the news option >.>

Isery is indeed mandatory. Lorenzo is doomed either way and that moth isn’t waiting the necessary seven years. Rosina and Bourdain can both be replaced, though it isn’t mandatory, and for some reason you get the option to replace Bourdain before even searching for him. Arik, Batuk, and Evelyn (the Philanthropist) have no alternative.

Scienceandponies: Also, a minor nitpick. Isery is an Individual of Mysterious and Indistinct Gender.

[quote=Optimatum]

Scienceandponies: Also, a minor nitpick. Isery is an Individual of Mysterious and Indistinct Gender.[/quote]

Ah, yes. Of course. I do often switch up the pronouns used in my various statements of disdain regarding the King’s Claw from moment to moment.

And yes, I do suppose asking Lorenzo to hold off on that emergence for another 7 years is a bit of an imposition.
edited by Scienceandponies on 10/20/2016

OMG, did you just &quotBut why didn’t Gandalf just get the b____y eagles to carry him and Frodo to Mt. Doom in the first place?&quot us?

wickedly approving grin

[quote=Mint Humbugs]Why can’t we get Lorenzo to lead us in moth form?

He could merrily flap along through the continent, leading us.

And as an added plus, no-one would try to shoot him down because the Presbyterate taboo against shooting at flying things would work to our advantage.[/quote]