Which lodgings are actually worth getting?

I recently started a new alt, and I want to avoid clogging his deck as much as possible. Which lodgings should I avoid?

That’s…unfeasibly expensive, isn’t it? If the alt’s new, it’ll take ages to get enough for a big lodging. And all that time you’d have to play with next to no opportunity cards.

Yeah, you’re right. The decommissioned steamer is a good one. Also the town house, and the lair in the marshes. Sorry about that.

As far as I remember you only need handsome townhouse unless they changed something since then. However it is fairly expensive (500 romantic notions) soI would sugest geting any of the other lodgings wich allow 3 cards on hand until you are redy to become a PoSi then buy the handsome towhose.

I’ll just let myself out after getting these answers so wrong. Sorry.
edited by suinicide on 7/1/2016

A guest room at the brass embassy for the scraps
A room at the royal Bethlehem hotel for the scraps
Premises at the bazaar for the scraps and the profitable card
One of these should be upgraded at Sackmass to a 5 card lodging
If you want an orphanage or a salon then get the handsome town house.
A rooftop shack for the profitable opportunity card.
And if you’re tired of city vices then get a remote lodging at sackmass.

As a note, for POSI requirements there are several paths to choose from: you don’t have to pick one of the two lodging options (and some will develop naturally over the course of the game).

Among the 3-card options, the rooftop shack is my favorite. My favorite of the fours is the Bazaar, but there’s less difference I feel between the fours.

How does the lair in the marshes stack up? Is the society increase worthwhile?

Definitely bad / to be avoided:
Cottage by the Observatory (1 Scrap, or below 1E of profit)
A Room Above a Bookshop (1 Scrap, Fate-locked Shepherd option is useless)

Very bad, potentially useless:
A Smoky Flophouse (1 Scrap, or 1 Criminal Favour if Jack is Alive, terrible MW option)

Quite bad, but has specific function
Gambling Den (1 Scrap, or 80 Amber, or spend a Night on the Town for a MW boost)

========================

Decent:
Decommissioned Steamer (2 Scrap + 1 CP Great Game, 10-Fate emergency MW boost)
Lair in the Marshes (1 Scrap + 30 CP Society)

Recommended Lodgings Progression Path:
Newgate (1 Card)
Spare Bedroom (2 Card)
Rooftop (3 Card, Price: 150 Primordial Shrieks, 1x Scrap early game, 3 Echoes / per action profit with Forger)
Townhouse (3 Card, Price: 500x Romantic Notions, for Making Waves Scheme / Person of Some Little Consequence Card)
All 4/5 Cards Lodgings

This is my take exactly. The only things unmentioned are a Fate-locked lodging that is quite a convenience early on and to remember your Sackmas seasonals.

Edit: Also the K+C Lodging when it comes back. Could be a while though.
edited by MrBurnside on 7/1/2016

[quote=Estelle Knoht]Definitely bad / to be avoided:
Cottage by the Observatory (1 Scrap, or below 1E of profit)
A Room Above a Bookshop (1 Scrap, Fate-locked Shepherd option is useless)

Very bad, potentially useless:
A Smoky Flophouse (1 Scrap, or 1 Criminal Favour if Jack is Alive, terrible MW option)

Quite bad, but has specific function
Gambling Den (1 Scrap, or 80 Amber, or spend a Night on the Town for a MW boost)

========================

Decent:
Decommissioned Steamer (2 Scrap + 1 CP Great Game, 10-Fate emergency MW boost)
Lair in the Marshes (1 Scrap + 30 CP Society)

Recommended Lodgings Progression Path:
Newgate (1 Card)
Spare Bedroom (2 Card)
Rooftop (3 Card, Price: 150 Primordial Shrieks, 1x Scrap early game, 3 Echoes / per action profit with Forger)
Townhouse (3 Card, Price: 500x Romantic Notions, for Making Waves Scheme / Person of Some Little Consequence Card)
All 4/5 Cards Lodgings[/quote]

Note that the Smoky Flophouse may also grant favours with the revolutions eventually(we don’t know how it’s going to work on the other hand, my guess is that it won’t be a luck challenge and it will give either 1 favour with the criminals or the revolutionaries but we will just have to wait).

I mostly agree with estelle’s post, but there are a few things i disagree with:
While the final outcome is up in the air, if jack is left alive, the smoky flophouse may well be an amazing card- if and when revolutionaries are converted to favors. as it stands, it’s a 50% chance of a favor and a few cp revolutionaries, with a 2.5 echo rare success, but if they transfer it the way they should, IMO, then it’ll be a 50% chance of each favor type, or maybe 1-or-the-other. If this is the case, then it has been moved into niche territory, as for some people- those who would rather know who made jack than destroy him- it’s good through the entire game, if you get a certain quality. [since favors all have been worth at least 4.4 echoes on their best cash in action, and that’s assuming you aren’t after renown.]

Additionally, it’s easy to fall into the trap of getting all 4-card lodgings because you can. but if you have little-to-no interest in scraps, the only substantially profitable one is the premises at the bazaar- so get that one first, and if you want, only.

I skipped straight from homeless to the Rooftop, because I kept failing the persuasive. It didn’t take that long.

&quot…[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]One of these should be upgraded at Sackmass to a 5 card lodging…&quot[/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]
[/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]This is tantalizing. Does this mean I don’t necessarily have to keep saving up trillions of bottles of wine just to get one Vial of Masters’ Blood to upgrade my premises on the bazaar?[/color]

Oh, absolutely.

All 4-card lodgings can be upgraded very very cheaply to their 5-card version during Hallowmas.

The only one I got the expensive way was the Sanctum, since during Hallowmas, while cheap, it does require one to have no soul. And, alas, my soul is too stained to (safely) sell.

Not that you should make much difficulty with 6 months real time ahead of you, but as a warning to anyone else to comes across this thread later, you need to be a POSI with several levels of Notablity to upgrade those to 5-card lodgings.

Good to know! I have 5 bottles of 4th City Airag, and can’t fathom saving up for, what, 30 more? How many bottles of Greyfields 1882 is that?

you should save up wines starting from Absinthe instead of Greyfields, less conversion work

Greyfields 1879 Can be converted in bulk directly to Broken Giant 1844 via the Sommelier opportunity card.

It requires a lot of portly sommelier cards, but grinding Masters Blood is actually rather simple later on using it. Quell riots on Watchmakers hill for the velocipede squad, use your criminal favors to do the 7 favors option on smuggle brandy, grab a plated seal anytime you go to zee and breed a hound of heaven in Coil 4, turn in favors society in the shuttered palace, ambush smugglers from the Smokey Flophouse card,etc… there are tones of variety in grabbing the wines to make cellars then converting those to Airag. Once you have gotten to the Nadir picking wisdom from The End of Battles in the Nadir is an instant Airag for 3 Sudden Insights. Trust me, its not that bad once you have a decent amount of sources.
Of course if you just want the Spire, converting Notability and ToL is the best way, but if you want Masters for anything else, it isn’t that bad. As far as end game item grinds go it is actually one of the easier ones tbh.