Where to find Letters for the Name-Which-Burns?

After having a few conversations with the Carnelian Exile, she now wants me to find my Name-Which-Burns. What?::

I’ve never seen any reference to this anywhere in the game. The wiki says they exist, but not where you can find them. Could someone point me in the right direction, please?

Judging by a requirement I couldn’t meet I saw, some of the places you have to go are not places, to then go to the place that is not even that.

[quote=phryne]After having a few conversations with the Carnelian Exile, she now wants me to find my Name-Which-Burns. What?::

I’ve never seen any reference to this anywhere in the game. The wiki says they exist, but not where you can find them. Could someone point me in the right direction, please?[/quote]

Start with a F. That snowy place with all the terror. Make sure you have sailed off all four edges of the map beforehand.

You need a bit more than that. :P

The story in question is pretty involved and you should probably be careful about progressing in it unless you’re ready.

Sorry, but if what you’re saying does make any sense it’s beyond me…

OK, thank you. Not sure I want to do that though… East and West are not a problem, North is survivable, but South is very tough - making it safely back with 1 Hull. Guess I’ll shelve this storylet until I’ve played through everything else ;)

[quote=WormApotheote]You need a bit more than that. :P
The story in question is pretty involved and you should probably be careful about progressing in it unless you’re ready.[/quote]
Does it hurt your stats? I hate it when something hurts my stats!
edited by phryne on 3/21/2015

[quote=phryne]

[quote=WormApotheote]You need a bit more than that. :P
The story in question is pretty involved and you should probably be careful about progressing in it unless you’re ready.[/quote]
Does it hurt your stats? I hate it when something hurts my stats!
edited by phryne on 3/21/2015[/quote]

For a more helpful but very spoilers answer:

It unlocks one of the hidden ambitions, which will eventually lead to winning the game, but also will prevent you from passing down any stats or money to your next captain.

It also requires, in addition to having survived sailing off the maps edge in all directions, a Dread Surmise and a high amount of Yearning, Burning from trading sunlight. And probably a judgments egg so you can safely escape frostfound.

It damages your stats but you don’t really need them for the rest of the ambition.

How do you sail West off the map? Is there an opening down by the Dawn Machine?

Yes, there are gaps on both sides of the Dawn Machine (the outer spinning circles are actually not touching the see so you can sail through them)