Where the Seekers are (Spoilers)

So, they went beyond the Gate. Since no one know the text except for them, I’ll be taking Sunless Sea’s. The Seekers don’t have a guide… So they don’t know where to go. Maybe they’res a community of ravenous individuals next to it? Or maybe just a large pile of bones. Or… I dare not to think about what would happen if St. Gawain’s Candle were to hatch.

Maybe they’re the reasons the stars are dying.

Well, really, there shouldn’t any seekers in the high wilderness in sunless skies. Each fallen London character is in their own universe, as far as the lore is concerned. Sunless skies takes place in a universe that isn’t the same as any FL characters.
Also, seeking to the very end can only be done by one person, lorewise. So even if there is a seeker that took it to the end in the SS lore, there would only be one, not piles of bones.

I highly doubt any Seekers survived long enough to travel beyond the gate in any case, assuming they attempted to pass through at all after opening it. They may open the way, but they don’t exactly have any space vessels.

Guess you’ll have to seek to find out!

I’m seeking already, and to find out quite a lot more than just what lies beyond the gate.

Yeah, I realized after I replied that I was speaking to the seeker that got the 7 fluke cores. I admire your dedication!

[quote=Pumpkinhead]Well, really, there shouldn’t any seekers in the high wilderness in sunless skies. Each fallen London character is in their own universe, as far as the lore is concerned. Sunless skies takes place in a universe that isn’t the same as any FL characters.
Also, seeking to the very end can only be done by one person, lorewise. So even if there is a seeker that took it to the end in the SS lore, there would only be one, not piles of bones.[/quote]
Well, since Seekers essentially obliterate their individual identities in the process of Seeking, one Seeker could theoretically be every single Seeker who has ever gone through the gate.

That’s a little too deep for me. All I can say is there’s a definite answer to OP’s question. As far as the high wilderness is concerned only one seeker ever came through, so no pile of bones. You’ll have to seek to get the details. ;)

As any Seeker will just be a Seeker and all Seekers experienced the same ordeal, one Seeker could be literally any Seeker from Fallen London ^_^ So all Seekers are one - metaphysically speaking it doesn’t matter if there’s one or a thousand.
edited by Anne Auclair on 4/25/2017

Of course, in truth NORTH is the name of the Wilderness’s most exclusive salon right outside the Gate, and the Name is needed to show that you know the owner and thus have the right to VIP access. Unaccountably peckish is the effect that hearing about their delicious snacks has on mere mortals.

NORTH, where everybody knows his name.

[quote=John Moose]
NORTH, where everybody knows his name.[/quote]

Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name …

Thanks for the smile. I really needed it today :)

The House of the Question is a place to gain the favor or forgiveness of the gods of the Unterzee. In Sunless Sea, a visitor may also ask about the ‘Drowned Man’. Here is what that visitor may learn:

[quote]He is not a god. He came from the North, where it is too cold for gods, and to the North he will return. If you go North, nothing of you will remain.

The Drowned Man’s brothers - aye, and sisters - gave him to the knives and the lacre. Here we have no lacre, only snow. Snow comes from the North. Lacre comes from pain. We have it a little easier.[/quote]Mr Candles accompanied the Bazaar on its flight from the High Wilderness to the Neath. There, he was betrayed and murdered by the Bazaar’s other attendants, and then consumed by the God-Eaters. The parts of him which remain are now known as Mr. Eaten, and he seeks to return to the High Wilderness. He also hasn’t forgiven his former comrades: &quota reckoning cannot be postponed indefinitely&quot.

In the Recurring Dreams: Death by Water cards, the call to go North comes not from the North itself, but from the boat or other vessel which the dreamer finds themselves on. My take on this is that the dreamer is the vessel. Mr Candles’s physical form is gone, but his identity and willpower - his Name - linger as Mr Eaten. A Seeker’s identity and willpower are gone, consumed piece by piece as they acquire various candles in their search for the Name, but their physical form remains. Mr Eaten’s Name, united with a seeker who has no Name, would make Mr Eaten whole again and allow him to leave the Neath for the High Wilderness.

While he was a Master of the Bazaar, Mr Candles was intimately familiar with the Bazaar, its assets and plans, and its other servants. What better way to get back at the Masters who betrayed him, and the Bazaar who allowed the betrayal, than by taking the secrets of the Bazaar back into the High Wilderness and giving them to the Judgements? Mr Eaten seeks to end the postponement of a reckoning with his betrayers, and the wrath of the Judgements guided by Mr Eaten’s knowledge of the Bazaar would bring that postponement to a screeching halt. It would also be a tragic end befitting the Bazaar’s penchant for romantic tales; an agent, betrayed and destroyed, claws its way back out of nonexistence and carries out a betrayal of their own which spells doom for their former master.

Personally I don’t expect or even particularly want to see much or anything related to Mr Eaten in Sunless Skies. There are scattered pieces of Mr Eaten lore in Sunless Sea, but zee-captains aren’t more than tangentially involved in SMEN. Instead, there’s an entirely original self-destructive &quothard mode&quot story route (the Name-Which-Burns) tied only to lore presented in Sunless Sea itself, and I think it would be best for Sunless Skies to have a self-contained Seeking-style quest of its own.
edited by Anchovies on 4/27/2017
edited by Anchovies on 4/27/2017

I don’t think eaten will appear at all in Skies, except maybe tangentially. He was just another space bat of the presumed multitudes of others out in the wilderness. The only reason he is of any importance in the Neath is his/candles’ connection with dreams and parabola. Out in the eyes of the judgements, I doubt parabola is particularly influential.
Also, just to clear up a common misperception: Eaten isn’t actually in the north. Whether he really exists at all is debatable. He wants seekers to go north, but it isn’t to meet him.

He very well might be buried in the North, somewhere. I’m sure there’s wells up there for potential resting sites. NORTH UNDER GRANITE, after all.

Ah, to clarify, I meant high wilderness rather than the northern part of the Neath. My bad.
I still take the stance that Eaten doesn’t really exist anywhere. Candles’ remains might be buried somewhere, but that’s not Eaten, really.
edited by Pumpkinhead on 4/27/2017

[quote=Pumpkinhead]I don’t think eaten will appear at all in Skies, except maybe tangentially. He was just another space bat of the presumed multitudes of others out in the wilderness. The only reason he is of any importance in the Neath is his/candles’ connection with dreams and parabola. Out in the eyes of the judgements, I doubt parabola is particularly influential.
Also, just to clear up a common misperception: Eaten isn’t actually in the north. Whether he really exists at all is debatable. He wants seekers to go north, but it isn’t to meet him.[/quote]
Don’t those Seeking Mr Eaten’s name essentially become Mr Eaten? Just as those seeking Salt’s Song essentially become Salt? So if there is at least one Seeker in the High Wilderness, Mr Eaten is present.
edited by Anne Auclair on 4/28/2017

Salt is salt, eaten is eaten. They are different and treat people differently.

You still need to become them to understand them. And to become them you have to empty yourself as they were emptied. That’s what they have in common - that and the fact their stories will never have a happy ending. The key difference is that Mr Eaten was violently deprived of everything while Salt voluntarily gave it all up.