What's next in Fallen London

[color=#0066ff]We turned ten years old in January, so strictly speaking we’ve been celebrating our birthday for six months. It’s time we gave up the indulgence, as fun as it’s been! The conclusion to all four ambitions, Parabolan Base Camp, University Lab, Paleontology, new map, the brand new Whitsun festival and Railway have kept you - and us - very busy since January![/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Now the anniversary festivities are over, we’re going to relax the pace for the latter half of the year. That isn’t a pace we can sustain even when Fallen London is our main focus (we started work on the anniversary updates months in advance). Also, we are now working on two new games. One of these is set in Fallen London. We’ll have more to say about them later in the year![/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]But also, the global events of the last few months have affected the rate at which we can work. We’ll be working remotely for the foreseeable future. Those of us with children are often working different or reduced hours, to handle childcare commitments while schools and nurseries are closed. In these circumstances, hitting our anniversary commitments was sometimes a struggle. Some people did overtime to make that happen.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]It’s important to us that Failbetter be a good workplace for people with families, and that we don’t create situations in which people need to put in extra work out of hours. So we’ll need to find a pace that fits what we can do, given how the world is now. It’s possible that might mean releasing certain things later than we said we planned to; if it does, we hope you’ll understand.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]That said, we’ll still be working on many more substantial updates for Fallen London. In the past, we’ve sometimes neglected it while our focus has been on other projects. We didn’t want to do that again, so we’ve planned accordingly and made some additional hires. [/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]We’d like to thank you all for celebrating with us. The number of people who’ve returned to the game or rediscovered what they loved about it has been astonishing; your support and enthusiasm has meant a lot to us.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
edited by h4nchan on 6/24/2020

[quote=Hannah Flynn][color=#0066ff]We turned ten years old in January, so strictly speaking we’ve been celebrating our birthday for six months. It’s time we gave up the indulgence, as fun as it’s been! The conclusion to all four ambitions, Parabolan Base Camp, University Lab, Paleontology, new map, the brand new Whitsun festival and Railway have kept you - and us - very busy since January![/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Now the anniversary festivities are over, we’re going to relax the pace for the latter half of the year. That isn’t a pace we can sustain even when Fallen London is our main focus (we started work on the anniversary updates months in advance). Also, we are now working on two new games. One of these is set in Fallen London. We’ll have more to say about them later in the year![/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]But also, the global events of the last few months have affected the rate at which we can work. We’ll be working remotely for the foreseeable future. Those of us with children are often working different or reduced hours, to handle childcare commitments while schools and nurseries are closed. In these circumstances, hitting our anniversary commitments was sometimes a struggle. Some people did overtime to make that happen.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]It’s important to us that Failbetter be a good workplace for people with families, and that we don’t create situations in which people need to put in extra work out of hours. So we’ll need to find a pace that fits what we can do, given how the world is now. It’s possible that might mean releasing certain things later than we said we planned to; if it does, we hope you’ll understand.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]That said, we’ll still be working on many more substantial updates for Fallen London. In the past, we’ve sometimes neglected it while our focus has been on other projects. We didn’t want to do that again, so we’ve planned accordingly and made some additional hires. [/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]We’d like to thank you all for celebrating with us. The number of people who’ve returned to the game or rediscovered what they loved about it has been astonishing; your support and enthusiasm has meant a lot to us.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
edited by h4nchan on 6/24/2020[/quote]

And thanks to you, Hannah, and all of Failbetter! I wouldn’t have stuck around for 10 years if you hadn’t produced great games, and if there hadn’t been such great people to discuss things with on the forums!

Thank you, indeed. Time for a much deserved rest!

Agreed. You have given us more than enough this year already, and under extremely challenging circumstances.

I’ve been loving all the new content, and will be looking forward to every new tidbit that you offer, but it’s important that you don’t burn out. You need to preserve your strength for another ten years :)

Thank you all for your great work, and above all, stay healthy and safe!
edited by Aardvark on 6/24/2020

Thank you for all this fantastic new content and the work you’ve all done to get it out there so quickly, it’s been mind-boggling how much new content you’ve been putting out, and doubly so in such difficult circumstances. And thank you also for prioritizing a healthy and life-compatible workplace for all employees; we need more companies like that, and Failbetter is an excellent example to show that it doesn’t stand in the way of doing amazing work for its fans. I hope you all enjoy your very well-deserved more restful pace!

Yes, thanks!

While it’s been stressful for you, it’s been a godsend to the rest of us. Even the “explaining to children what you’re doing” part that I thought I’d gotten over when remotely working.) :)

Railway is exciting and I can’t wait to access it! Y’all have done a great job!
edited by Jel on 6/24/2020

All the new content this year has been incredible. Thank you to everyone at Failbetter for working so hard to give us these experiences! Your games have been an excellent distraction from the stress of current events. That said, our enjoyment is less important than your own wellbeing. If you need more time, we’re willing to wait.

Thank you so much for all the new content. It came at the perfect time. Please take care and know that you folks having a healthy work situation matters to us too.

Thanks for the great content!

Totally understood! But given this, I really wish you’d release a bit more info on what you can and can’t pass on when your character has the chance to meet a “permanent end” down the road.

What about the Knock, for example? Or cider? Or our unlocked exceptional stories? Or our Ubergoat? Or our fate-purchased festival items?

Could we choose a new ambition while keeping some of the final rewards for the old one?

If you don’t know the answers yourselves yet, it’s perfectly fine to say that. But if you do know, for a lot of us, that information will dramatically change how we spend the next few months in-game and it would be really nice to have that heads-up.

Thank you for all of the work that you’ve been doing this year. Fallen London has been a real anchor for me during the Covid pandemic, and I hope that you’re all staying safe.

Being pretty busy on the Surface and all this new content makes me feel like I’m living the beginning of Fallen London again! So many things to try, not knowing much about them and the size of it makes it overwhelming, but pleasant!
Thank you delicious for doubling the size of the game (at least in my mind)! Well done, well done!

Rest well, and thank you for everything.

two new games?

[quote=Tystefy]Rest well, and thank you for everything.

two new games?[/quote]

[color=#0066ff]Ohhh yes.[/color]

I expect them to be the runner-ups in the polls that led to Sunless Skies.

One of them is probably about rats.

What were the runner ups?