What would you want the Sixth City to be?

That said, Sputum and Xenu, please stop. Please take a step back.
You two had a disagreement about games. Games that might exist, or not.
Now you are just fixated on making each other look bad and hurting each other with words. For what, and then what?

Come to Hong Kong, kids, and enjoy the epic struggle for living space. Lack of resource and extreme urban density should make for some pretty painful grind. The utter lack of food production should make poverty even more horrid than London, but I guess… actually, the historical effects would be pretty weird consider its ties to Britain and China. The lack of powerful characters might be a bigger problem, though, compared to other cities.

The Bazaar has, thus far, only ever taken the capitals of major empires. Hong Kong is not a capital, and is part of two separate empires.

Kind of curious about what’s going on in Vienna. Not asking for spoilers, but could I ask where I could find out more about it?

Let’s not throw around insults here. We should be polite and respectful on the forum.

The game outright states that destinies are possible, not certain. They’re possible futures.

Unlike previous cities, word has gotten out, world-wide about London, about the benefits and banes of a city in the Neath. Although it is extremely unlikely, what if almost nobody wants the deal the Master’s offer? What if they have to settle for somewhere like Yuma?

There will never be a 6th city, one way or another London will be the last. Whether or not Mr. Fires succeeds in holding the bazaar here, The Liberation occurs, or whatever Seeking the Name involves happens I very much doubt there will be anything left to make a 6th city with.

If there is a 6th city though, I believe it was stated to be Paris.

[quote=Victor Alexander]There will never be a 6th city, one way or another London will be the last. Whether or not Mr. Fires succeeds in holding the bazaar here, The Liberation occurs, or whatever Seeking the Name involves happens I very much doubt there will be anything left to make a 6th city with.

If there is a 6th city though, I believe it was stated to be Paris.[/quote]
You do forget- Fires is outnumbered by the others, the human element of the revolution is quite likely to be doomed without assistance, and the … other elements probably don’t care about delays as much as getting it right the first time. It’s entirely plausible that the bazaar will survive to the sixth city in some timelines.

Title of the thread: &quotWhat would you want the Sixth City to be?&quot
Content of the thread: &quotLet’s all argue about why everyone elses answer is wrong.&quot

My preference would be Vienna or Paris. The Bazaar cannot fail and they seem like sure bets.
edited by TeslaWalker on 10/28/2016

[quote=TeslaWalker]Title of the thread: &quotWhat would you want the Sixth City to be?&quot
Content of the thread: &quotLet’s all argue about why everyone elses answer is wrong.&quot[/quote]

Exactly. I dunno who this guy thinks he is, but the blatant personal attacks and grade-school insults would have copped him a ban by now on just about every forum I’ve visited.

That said: the Masters certainly would like to buy Paris, but there’s no guarantee they’ll be able to do so. Besides, the his thread isn’t called &quotWhat does the existing lore say the Sixth City is probably going to be?&quot

Paris is IMO a boring choice. What really sets it apart from London other than a change in scenery and cast?

Vienna could be interesting if it were to fall in the midst of WWI. Trench warfare and Sturmpanzerwagens would make for an interesting change of pace. Hell, do we even know what lies to the west of London?

[quote=Xenu’s Paradox]

Exactly. I dunno who this guy thinks he is, but the blatant personal attacks and grade-school insults would have copped him a ban by now on just about every forum I’ve visited. [/quote]

Okay. I’m done. The downvotes, the self righteous ridicule for defending myself, the anger gotten from me returning an insult after I was reported for disagreeing is too much. This is ridiculous. Forgive me if I ‘baited discussion’ (as the mods once told me I did when threatening me with a ban for voicing an opinion that eventually led to two other people, with whom I had scarce connection, starting a separate argument that I had no part in) but I really didn’t expect to be the one so hated for being called ‘puerile’ and ‘ridiculous’ and then being reported for ‘personal attacks’ that had never happened at that point. Voicing your opinion is a bad thing, apparently, worthy of both a report and a threat of a ban from the beloved mods for something you had no part in, and if you don’t report someone for cursing and calling you puerile, they will report you for disagreeing with them.
A lot of this community is generally really, really wonderful people. I love it. I’ve made lots of dear friends from this community, and I respect a large part of it to no end.
Unfortunately, this abuse, from both the mods, Xenu, and the populace, is rather too much. I’m done.
Feel free to ban, downvote, name-call away for this post.

Look, you two had an disagreement about how a future game might be, then it turned into a fight over sharp words.

Both of you don’t have any ill intention to begin with. None of you are some evil mastermind trying to socially ruin the other side.

Please stop hating each other or trying to hate each other over this. Neither of you deserve the hate and scone of each other. Nor is it the right thing to do.

This thread isn’t called &quotInsult/attack each other until only one is standing&quot, either, nor is it called &quotwhat is west of London&quot.See, we all talk about some off topic things, once in a while.
A thread is never only about its main topic, however, because each topic has some sub-topics linked to it. What the lore currently says is, I think, linked to the topic.

As you say, there is no guarantee about the next city. Some story let us believe it will in all likelihood be Paris, but the same story states it is possible to keep the Masters from getting Paris.

What exactly makes you think, and others, that Vienna would be such an interesting city ? I’m really curious, since I don’t know well its history.

Atumian, what was the discussion in question? Very difficult to judge your innocence (or guilt) when you’re not showing what conversation you started, or how you started it.

And you and Xenu both need to stop pretending you were innocent in this. You were both throwing insults around like crazy. And, as you’ve probably noticed, Xenu is receiving far more downvotes than you are. The only post of yours that was downvoted was the one which was comprised entirely of insults.

Emain, Vienna was the cultural center of the time, and was ruled by the Hapsburgs–the dynasty which ruled the Holy Roman Empire. The Austrio-Hungarian Empire was also the country which had the biggest part in initiating World War One, and fell very quickly soon after; that’s a pretty decent reason to make a deal with the Masters.
edited by Snowskeeper on 10/28/2016
edited by Snowskeeper on 10/28/2016

Looking at the thread in question: he did bring up a pretty sensitive subject, and that subject went on to cause problems. Unless they took a very different tone in PMs, I don’t see how anything they did was unreasonable.

The PM is for a past discussion, I believe, not this particular thing. But it might be best not to talk like jurors right under what seems to be a very upset post.

You can visit the place itself in Sunless Sea. Some of the other pieces of the puzzle include The Waltz That Moved The World exceptional story amd some of the later stages of SMEN storyline.
edited by Passionario on 10/29/2016

I don’t think the Bazaar’s going to survive long enough for there to be a Sixth City.

When somebody claims that they are being harrassed, especially by moderators, my instinct is to examine the evidence and find as much information on the subject as possible. The fact that the moderators have always been, in my experience, very kind and civil in nearly every situation made me even more eager to make sure this isn’t something serious.

So to clarify: wasn’t trying to judge the individual in question, exactly. Just wanted to gather more information, if podsible. That was an irrational instinct, and possibly also aggravating to others, so I appologize.

Passionario: thanks for the information! I have Sunless Sea, but for some reason I have difficulty staying with it, despite the subject matter; more reason to keep going, then.

M. Cinder: Maybe, maybe not.

[quote=The Atumian Sputum][quote=Xenu’s Paradox]

Exactly. I dunno who this guy thinks he is, but the blatant personal attacks and grade-school insults would have copped him a ban by now on just about every forum I’ve visited. [/quote]

Okay. I’m done. The downvotes, the self righteous ridicule for defending myself, the anger gotten from me returning an insult after I was reported for disagreeing is too much. This is ridiculous. Forgive me if I ‘baited discussion’ (as the mods once told me I did when threatening me with a ban for voicing an opinion that eventually led to two other people, with whom I had scarce connection, starting a separate argument that I had no part in) but I really didn’t expect to be the one so hated for being called ‘puerile’ and ‘ridiculous’ and then being reported for ‘personal attacks’ that had never happened at that point. Voicing your opinion is a bad thing, apparently, worthy of both a report and a threat of a ban from the beloved mods for something you had no part in, and if you don’t report someone for cursing and calling you puerile, they will report you for disagreeing with them.
A lot of this community is generally really, really wonderful people. I love it. I’ve made lots of dear friends from this community, and I respect a large part of it to no end.
Unfortunately, this abuse, from both the mods, Xenu, and the populace, is rather too much. I’m done.
Feel free to ban, downvote, name-call away for this post.[/quote]

Let’s review, shall we?

[quote=The Atumian Sputum]
First : Um, because it’s literally a sequel to the Fifth City? It’s the Sixth City. It’s a sequel. It’s the events following those of FL. A sequel. You can’t really debate this. I don’t know where you went wrong on the train of thought of ‘1 + 1 = 2.’[/quote]

So you start off by insulting my intelligence.

Third : Um. What? If I’m throwing out unrelated, completely different, irrelevant games, I may as well throw out FL… For making a game in the FL universe? So… What universe would it be in, then, exactly? Can’t very well be the Sixth City if there’s no five cities before it, now can it? 6 - 5 = 1, so it’d be the first city, then, you see.[/quote]

Followed by disingenuousness (calling The Silver Tree, Sunless Sea, and Sunless Skies &quotunrelated, completely different, irrelevant games&quot) and then double down on the insults.

[quote=Xenu’s Paradox]
First: there is absolutely no reason a game set in the Sixth City would have to be a browser game any more than Sunless Sea is. And a game in a completely different format won’t compete with an existing one, so there’s no reason it would &quotend&quot FL as you seem to think.

Second: Chicago in the 1930s has FAR more in common with late 19th Century London than late 19th Century London has in common with medieval Mongolia. And if you don’t think gangsters and private eyes can mix with eldritch horror and absurdist humor, I suggest you check out Problem Sleuth.

Third: What the bl__dy h_ll are you talking about? Failbetter has three browser games, a PC game, and another PC game set for future release. All but one of those is part of the Fallen London universe. If you seriously intend to argue that Sunless Sea, The Silver Tree, and the upcoming Sunless Skies are irrelevant, then yes, you should damn well disregard FL as well.

And speaking of Sunless Skies, IT IS A DIRECT SEQUEL. And guess what? It’s NOT A BROWSER GAME. It also pretty definitively and irrevocably alters the storyline, so all your bl__dy arguments against a Sixth City game are also arguments against THE ACTUAL OFFICIAL GAME FAILBETTER IS MAKING NEXT.

:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

:microphone:[/quote]

Here we have me being aggressive and confrontational, as one does with bullies, but you’ll note that there isn’t a single personal attack, just arguing.

Yeah, and you’d know that through living through both time periods, right? Not through being another small child obsessed with the ‘mafia’ you heard about in a videogame? Firstly, tell me how many games there are about medieval Mongolia. Okay, now tell me how many games, movies, comic books, etc, are about the wonderful, glorious mafia. You know what, throw in noir, too, since you keep mentioning gumshoes and private eyes. Yeah, exactly. It’s incredibly tedious stuff. We’ve been over the subject a million times in Hollywood, and a million more in gaming. It’s run through the mill. If I came to Fallen London for 1930’s-esque gumshoes and mafia, I’d play the Cheery Man content and nothing else. Apparently that’s what you want in a game. Also, I have better things to read, lol.[/quote]

Once again, insults. Implying I want &quotthe Mafia&quot (which Capone wasn’t part of by the bye) because I’m a &quotchild&quot (I’m 35) who dun sawr it in dem were vidya gamez.

Third : I was saying you can’t make a Fallen London sequel without Fallen London, darling, I’m sorry you couldn’t understand the equation I laid out for you. I guess you were too worked up into a fervo- I’m sorry, ‘passionate.’ You’re very passionate.[/quote]

Translation: &quotlol u mad bro?&quot

And I think I’ll repeat Snowskeeper’s point - you should probably step away from this if the discussion of Fallen London’s future games can work you into an ulcer. I know I’m rather snarky, but caps? Really? And light cursing? How uncivilized. Perhaps you watch too many mafia movies.[/quote]

&quotY U MAD THO?&quot

[quote=Xenu’s_Paradox]
LOL. I’m not worked up, nor even &quotpassionate&quot. Just don’t like ridiculous and puerile arguments attempting to derail the discussion. Your transparent attempts to rile me up won’t work either. I have, however, reported you to the mods for your blatant personal attacks.[/quote]

Pretty sure I’m allowed to do that.

Reported me to the mods.
For disagreeing with you and being a bit sassy when you got angry, started caps-raging, and began to curse.
Here’s a personal attack for you, dear - I’m disappointed you exist.
There.
Report me for that, thank you.
You utter slime.[/quote]

Apparently being &quota bit sassy&quot consists of insulting people’s intelligence, calling them children, attempting to bait them into sinking to your level, and when all else fails, hurling outright epithets.

And when nobody circles the wagons for you, you turn on the crocodile tears and play the martyr.

Sorry, pal. I’ve known your kind my entire life. All you ever had to do was exercise a modicum of civility and self-control instead of being a passive-agressive bully. In fact, you still have that option.

Or you can sit in the corner and pout. I don’t care.

That is quite enough. We’re supposed to be polite and respectful on the forum, not aggressive. I’m locking the thread for the time being so we can all cool off.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 10/30/2016