What would you want the Sixth City to be?

New York, Las Vegas or Los Angeles don’t seem ok to me, I don’t know why.

But New Orleans… now that had be a good setting ! I like the idea ! Blues, jazz, voodoo, vampires, ghosts, bayous, french influence.

Paris seems nice, but my poor understanding of history gives me the feeling Paris and London wouldn’t be very different.
But Paris is the city of love, and that’s the very reason it’s going to be the sixth. :)
edited by Emain Ablach on 10/26/2016

Rethinking the “Berlin” part. The Austrian empire was, despite being basically Germany’s sock puppet, the most powerful in the world at the time, and Vienna was renowned as a center of culture, tolerance, love, and art. They’d probably be dominating at least the early half of the 21st century, assuming Britain falls, so Vienna seems like a good candidate for the 6th.

I think the sequel for a game like Fallen London should at least be written in the same style.[/quote]

First: What makes you think this would be a Fallen London sequel? They’re clearly steering away from browser games going forward.

Second: The Silver Tree was Failbetter’s one and only attempt at another browser game set in the FL universe, and it has a completely different style of writing.

Third: If youre throwing out their other games, then you may as well throw out FL as well.

As far as other replies: Yes to noir, yes to fedoras, yes to femmes fatale. New York and Nawlins would both make excellent settings; in fact, the prospect of vodou and bayous in the Neath may be even more compelling than Chicago typewriters and private gumshoes.

I think the sequel for a game like Fallen London should at least be written in the same style.[/quote]

First: What makes you think this would be a Fallen London sequel? They’re clearly steering away from browser games going forward.

Second: The Silver Tree was Failbetter’s one and only attempt at another browser game set in the FL universe, and it has a completely different style of writing.

Third: If youre throwing out their other games, then you may as well throw out FL as well.

As far as other replies: Yes to noir, yes to fedoras, yes to femmes fatale. New York and Nawlins would both make excellent settings; in fact, the prospect of vodou and bayous in the Neath may be even more compelling than Chicago typewriters and private gumshoes.[/quote]

First : Um, because it’s literally a sequel to the Fifth City? It’s the Sixth City. It’s a sequel. It’s the events following those of FL. A sequel. You can’t really debate this. I don’t know where you went wrong on the train of thought of ‘1 + 1 = 2.’ I don’t know what it being in a browser has to do with it.

Second: A fair point. But it was a much, much smaller game - just a peek into the history of the FL universe. Another ‘city’ game like FL, of FL’s scale and FL’s variety, should be written in the same style. And while The Silver Tree was another style, it still wasn’t Al Capone, of all things.

Third : Um. What? If I’m throwing out unrelated, completely different, irrelevant games, I may as well throw out FL… For making a game in the FL universe? So… What universe would it be in, then, exactly? Can’t very well be the Sixth City if there’s no five cities before it, now can it? 6 - 5 = 1, so it’d be the first city, then, you see.

Easy now.

I’d always liked the idea that the sixth city would be Paris, and the seventh New York. We already know the masters have an interest in buying Paris from Napoleon, so I go with that. I feel like New York would be ideal for the seventh and final city because it’s kinda the center of the modern world (Okay, less so these days, but look how many movies are set in New York and try to tell me it’s not a city of stories).

[quote=Emain Ablach]New York, Las Vegas or Los Angeles don’t seem ok to me, I don’t know why.

But New Orleans… now that had be a good setting ! I like the idea ! Blues, jazz, voodoo, vampires, ghosts, bayous, french influence.

Paris seems nice, but my poor understanding of history gives me the feeling Paris and London wouldn’t be very different.
But Paris is the city of love, and that’s the very reason it’s going to be the sixth. :)
edited by Emain Ablach on 10/26/2016[/quote]

I admit that New Orleans would be excellent, set in the Neath, no matter what era we’re talking about. But the thought of New York’s subways running in the Neath–running beneath the Neath–really enchants me.

As far as other replies: Yes to noir, yes to fedoras, yes to femmes fatale. New York and Nawlins would both make excellent settings; in fact, the prospect of vodou and bayous in the Neath may be even more compelling than Chicago typewriters and private gumshoes.[/quote]

First : Um, because it’s literally a sequel to the Fifth City? It’s the Sixth City. It’s a sequel. It’s the events following those of FL. A sequel. You can’t really debate this. I don’t know where you went wrong on the train of thought of ‘1 + 1 = 2.’ I don’t know what it being in a browser has to do with it.

Second: A fair point. But it was a much, much smaller game - just a peek into the history of the FL universe. Another ‘city’ game like FL, of FL’s scale and FL’s variety, should be written in the same style. And while The Silver Tree was another style, it still wasn’t Al Capone, of all things.

Third : Um. What? If I’m throwing out unrelated, completely different, irrelevant games, I may as well throw out FL… For making a game in the FL universe? So… What universe would it be in, then, exactly? Can’t very well be the Sixth City if there’s no five cities before it, now can it? 6 - 5 = 1, so it’d be the first city, then, you see.[/quote]

First: there is absolutely no reason a game set in the Sixth City would have to be a browser game any more than Sunless Sea is. And a game in a completely different format won’t compete with an existing one, so there’s no reason it would &quotend&quot FL as you seem to think.

Second: Chicago in the 1930s has FAR more in common with late 19th Century London than late 19th Century London has in common with medieval Mongolia. And if you don’t think gangsters and private eyes can mix with eldritch horror and absurdist humor, I suggest you check out Problem Sleuth.

Third: What the bl__dy h_ll are you talking about? Failbetter has three browser games, a PC game, and another PC game set for future release. All but one of those is part of the Fallen London universe. If you seriously intend to argue that Sunless Sea, The Silver Tree, and the upcoming Sunless Skies are irrelevant, then yes, you should damn well disregard FL as well.

And speaking of Sunless Skies, IT IS A DIRECT SEQUEL. And guess what? It’s NOT A BROWSER GAME. It also pretty definitively and irrevocably alters the storyline, so all your bl__dy arguments against a Sixth City game are also arguments against THE ACTUAL OFFICIAL GAME FAILBETTER IS MAKING NEXT.

:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

:microphone:
edited by Xenu’s_Paradox on 10/27/2016

Sunless Skies is NOT a direct sequel. We don’t even know if it’s set in the same continuity.

And you really need to either calm down or step away from this discussion at this point. You are getting way too angry about this.
edited by Snowskeeper on 10/27/2016

[quote=Snowskeeper]Sunless Skies is NOT a direct sequel. We don’t even know if it’s set in the same continuity.

And you really need to either calm down or step away from this discussion at this point. You are getting way too angry about this.
edited by Snowskeeper on 10/27/2016[/quote]

&quotOur next game, the sequel to Sunless Sea, will be called Sunless Skies&quot

Oh hey look, it’s right there in the press release

There are other forces at work in Vienna and they do not appear to have the Bazaar’s best interests in mind.

Third : Um. What? If I’m throwing out unrelated, completely different, irrelevant games, I may as well throw out FL… For making a game in the FL universe? So… What universe would it be in, then, exactly? Can’t very well be the Sixth City if there’s no five cities before it, now can it? 6 - 5 = 1, so it’d be the first city, then, you see.[/quote]

First: there is absolutely no reason a game set in the Sixth City would have to be a browser game any more than Sunless Sea is. And a game in a completely different format won’t compete with an existing one, so there’s no reason it would &quotend&quot FL as you seem to think.

Second: Chicago in the 1930s has FAR more in common with late 19th Century London than late 19th Century London has in common with medieval Mongolia. And if you don’t think gangsters and private eyes can mix with eldritch horror and absurdist humor, I suggest you check out Problem Sleuth.

Third: What the bl__dy h_ll are you talking about? Failbetter has three browser games, a PC game, and another PC game set for future release. All but one of those is part of the Fallen London universe. If you seriously intend to argue that Sunless Sea, The Silver Tree, and the upcoming Sunless Skies are irrelevant, then yes, you should damn well disregard FL as well.

And speaking of Sunless Skies, IT IS A DIRECT SEQUEL. And guess what? It’s NOT A BROWSER GAME. It also pretty definitively and irrevocably alters the storyline, so all your bl__dy arguments against a Sixth City game are also arguments against THE ACTUAL OFFICIAL GAME FAILBETTER IS MAKING NEXT.

edited by Xenu’s_Paradox on 10/27/2016[/quote]

Lol, you’re very passionate, huh?
First : Again, never really mentioned anything about browsers - you brought that up. No idea why it should matter whether it’s a browser game or not. Also, I never said it would end FL - it would, however, follow FL, and end Fallen London in its own world, since every city crushes the last. So, yeah.
Second : Yeah, and you’d know that through living through both time periods, right? Not through being another small child obsessed with the ‘mafia’ you heard about in a videogame? Firstly, tell me how many games there are about medieval Mongolia. Okay, now tell me how many games, movies, comic books, etc, are about the wonderful, glorious mafia. You know what, throw in noir, too, since you keep mentioning gumshoes and private eyes. Yeah, exactly. It’s incredibly tedious stuff. We’ve been over the subject a million times in Hollywood, and a million more in gaming. It’s run through the mill. If I came to Fallen London for 1930’s-esque gumshoes and mafia, I’d play the Cheery Man content and nothing else. Apparently that’s what you want in a game. Also, I have better things to read, lol.
Third : I was saying you can’t make a Fallen London sequel without Fallen London, darling, I’m sorry you couldn’t understand the equation I laid out for you. I guess you were too worked up into a fervo- I’m sorry, ‘passionate.’ You’re very passionate. But let me address some points.
Sunless Sea : A game taking place at the same time as London. It covers zee adventures, explores the zee gods, lets you cross the zee. It’s not about the future, another city, London’s fate, etc, as a Sixth City game would be. It’s set in Fallen London, it restricts itself to mainly the zee, and while you can make decisions pertaining to London’s fate, they aren’t regarded as canon.
The Silver Tree : Been over this one, dear. Tiny game, different type of game, different writing style. Not a city game, not on the scale of FL, not for the playtime or variety of FL. Not even that important of a game - just a little peek Failbetter gave us at how things used to be because they love us so.
Sunless Skies : Jesus, you’re really harping on this browser thing, huh? Lol, again, I never mentioned browsers being an important part of it. As for Sunless Skies itself, it’s very, very, very, very likely to be set in an AU. It’ll probably also be written in the same style as Fallen London, and it’s covering turf that’s already heavily discussed in both Fallen London and Sunless Seas - space. In fact, space is an incredibly important part in FL and SS. And I never showed any ‘bloody arguments’ against a Sixth City game - I’d love a game in Paris! How delightful it would be to join Dahli and the rest in a Bohemian rebellion towards the bourgeoisie! How fun it would be to have the next House of Chimes in the Eiffel Tower! How great it would be to eat baguettes!
And I think I’ll repeat Snowskeeper’s point - you should probably step away from this if the discussion of Fallen London’s future games can work you into an ulcer. I know I’m rather snarky, but caps? Really? And light cursing? How uncivilized. Perhaps you watch too many mafia movies.

I am probably not a good person to say this, but maybe this argument isn’t worth having, you two? Also, be civil and kind and blame Sinning Jenny whenever in doubt. ;)
edited by Estelle Knoht on 10/27/2016

First : Again, never really mentioned anything about browsers - you brought that up. No idea why it should matter whether it’s a browser game or not. Also, I never said it would end FL - it would, however, follow FL, and end Fallen London in its own world, since every city crushes the last. So, yeah.
Second : Yeah, and you’d know that through living through both time periods, right? Not through being another small child obsessed with the ‘mafia’ you heard about in a videogame? Firstly, tell me how many games there are about medieval Mongolia. Okay, now tell me how many games, movies, comic books, etc, are about the wonderful, glorious mafia. You know what, throw in noir, too, since you keep mentioning gumshoes and private eyes. Yeah, exactly. It’s incredibly tedious stuff. We’ve been over the subject a million times in Hollywood, and a million more in gaming. It’s run through the mill. If I came to Fallen London for 1930’s-esque gumshoes and mafia, I’d play the Cheery Man content and nothing else. Apparently that’s what you want in a game. Also, I have better things to read, lol.
Third : I was saying you can’t make a Fallen London sequel without Fallen London, darling, I’m sorry you couldn’t understand the equation I laid out for you. I guess you were too worked up into a fervo- I’m sorry, ‘passionate.’ You’re very passionate. But let me address some points.
Sunless Sea : A game taking place at the same time as London. It covers zee adventures, explores the zee gods, lets you cross the zee. It’s not about the future, another city, London’s fate, etc, as a Sixth City game would be. It’s set in Fallen London, it restricts itself to mainly the zee, and while you can make decisions pertaining to London’s fate, they aren’t regarded as canon.
The Silver Tree : Been over this one, dear. Tiny game, different type of game, different writing style. Not a city game, not on the scale of FL, not for the playtime or variety of FL. Not even that important of a game - just a little peek Failbetter gave us at how things used to be because they love us so.
Sunless Skies : Jesus, you’re really harping on this browser thing, huh? Lol, again, I never mentioned browsers being an important part of it. As for Sunless Skies itself, it’s very, very, very, very likely to be set in an AU. It’ll probably also be written in the same style as Fallen London, and it’s covering turf that’s already heavily discussed in both Fallen London and Sunless Seas - space. In fact, space is an incredibly important part in FL and SS. And I never showed any ‘bloody arguments’ against a Sixth City game - I’d love a game in Paris! How delightful it would be to join Dahli and the rest in a Bohemian rebellion towards the bourgeoisie! How fun it would be to have the next House of Chimes in the Eiffel Tower! How great it would be to eat baguettes!
And I think I’ll repeat Snowskeeper’s point - you should probably step away from this if the discussion of Fallen London’s future games can work you into an ulcer. I know I’m rather snarky, but caps? Really? And light cursing? How uncivilized. Perhaps you watch too many mafia movies.[/quote]

LOL. I’m not worked up, nor even &quotpassionate&quot. Just don’t like ridiculous and puerile arguments attempting to derail the discussion. Your transparent attempts to rile me up won’t work either. I have, however, reported you to the mods for your blatant personal attacks.

Xenu, you need to reread that quote you just posted.

Sequel to SUNLESS SEA.
NOT Fallen London.

[quote=Snowskeeper]Xenu, you need to reread that quote you just posted.

Sequel to SUNLESS SEA.
NOT Fallen London.[/quote]

And Sunless Sea is part of the Fallen London universe. They are part of the same overall story. So a sequel to one is a sequel to the other, story-wise.

Gameplay-wise, yes, it takes after Sunless Sea rather than FL, which is great.

And getting back on-topic: Having slept on it, New Orleans has beaten out Chicago. After all, you can still have bootleggers and private gumshoes outside of the Windy City, and the Big Easy brings in so many unique elements of its own that it just makes sense.
edited by Xenu’s_Paradox on 10/27/2016

But it’s not part of the same continuity. The Sea Captain’s actions are not felt in London–not even the ones that are guaranteed to happen.

Regardless, it being a sequel to Sunless Sea doesn’t make it a sequel to Fallen London.

So, just to throw my uneducated opinion into the discussion, a fallen London sequel is a bit, complicated.

So, to dissect the issue, let’s start with Fallen London. It came first, and we can all agree it’s the root from which the other games came from.

Next is Silver Tree, which is technically a prequel, as it was released after Fallen London, but plot wise is before Fallen London.

After that we have Sunless Sea, which is a side-story to Fallen London. It shares the same universe, but not the same focus. In this case, it’s taking a look at all these places you can hear about in London, but could never visit. Time-wise, it takes the same rough span of time as the events of Fallen London, without going into things that are actually happening in London at that time. You are a zailor, not a citizen of London, after all.

And then we have Sunless Skies, the problem game of the timeline. Now, unless the people of London somehow manage to remain a major power in the neath after Paris falls, we have a problem.

To put it simply,
If Paris falls, is London still a major power? Y/N
If Y, then Sunless Skies can share the timeline/universe.
If N, then Sunless Skies cant share the timeline/universe, and is set in an AU.
If Paris does not fall, that removes that issue entirely and Sunless Skies can share the timeline/universe.

See the problem yet?
Everything relies on Paris, which being such a major plot point is causing problems, what with being in a state of flux.
But really, that doesn’t answer anything about a FL sequel. It does straighten out the timeline a bit though. SO, getting back on track, we first have to agree on WHAT a sequel would be. Naturally, the easy answer would be “Fallen London 2”, which, assuming it happens before Paris is relevant is fairly simple to work out. Maybe one of Londons factions makes a powerplay and wins, changing Life in London as we know it. Not entirely likely, but it’s still plausible.
Option #2 would be “Fallen Paris”, which is a bit more complicated. It’s still in the neath, most of the neaths factions are still here in some form, but it’s not exactly a true sequel. As to why that is, it would be because it’s not about London anymore, it’s about Paris, bringing its own culture, history, people, factions, etc. along with it. It would still be in the Fallen London Universe, just not exactly a sequel.
Now, Sunless Sea is a bit different, as Fallen London is still a thing, and pretty much the same. By default as mentioned earlier, it’s a sidequel, not a sequel/prequel, but a sidequel. It takes place at the same time as Fallen London, but it’s not about fallen London.
And once again, we come to Sunless Skies. Now, like sunless sea it’s a sidequel, focusing on a different part of the Fallen London Universe. Despite being in the future, the whether or not Fallen London actually still exists in its current form is a moot point. Let’s say Fallen London still exists in the neath, continuing along as it always has. Doesn’t matter one bit, because like sunless sea, it’s not about fallen London. Alternatively, let’s say that fallen London was, oh, dumped in space for whatever reason. Still irrelevant, as it’s not about Fallen London. So to summarize, Sunless Skies isn’t a true sequel OR something that can be considered a sequel at all.

So, to finish my rambling on the matter, it’s all about what you consider a sequel really IS. Is it a game that comes later in the timeline? Is it a game that carries the same fundamental theme? That’s kinda the problem here, a real sequel can’t be agreed on because folks can’t agree on what IS a sequel. Anyways, just throwing this out there as something to think about.

And I think I’ll repeat Snowskeeper’s point - you should probably step away from this if the discussion of Fallen London’s future games can work you into an ulcer. I know I’m rather snarky, but caps? Really? And light cursing? How uncivilized. Perhaps you watch too many mafia movies.[/quote]

LOL. I’m not worked up, nor even &quotpassionate&quot. Just don’t like ridiculous and puerile arguments attempting to derail the discussion. Your transparent attempts to rile me up won’t work either. I have, however, reported you to the mods for your blatant personal attacks.[/quote]

Reported me to the mods.
For disagreeing with you and being a bit sassy when you got angry, started caps-raging, and began to curse.
Here’s a personal attack for you, dear - I’m disappointed you exist.
There.
Report me for that, thank you.
You utter slime.

Arcanuse hit the nail on the head. Plenty of series (especially video games) are connected by only a few common threads- a shared universe, a recurring character- and nothing else.

Personally, I motion that the Bazaar takes the entire state of Florida. It’s not doing anybody any good anyway.