What would it be like if your city was taken?

Fallen Louisville: Why hello there, Mr. Bourbon.

I’m a transplanted Philadelphian (by which I mean the suburbs), which already has excellent RP-ing sounding sections: University City, Port Richmond, Old City, North Liberties, Germantown, Center City, Fishtown - and a few I didn’t know, like Harrowgate. Come, what lies beyond the Harrowgate? Besides, Mr. Scrapple is about as threatening as they come.

Fallen Boston, Massachusetts. It would probably be a month or two before we realized anything was amiss.

Plus we’re already the seat of a revolution. I think the Masters would have a bit of a hard time working with us though. I wonder if they would be able to use their space-bat voodoo to fix the mbta
Edit: I wonder how the whole The University thing would work out with our like 20 colleges. Also would it be the greater Boston area or just the city itself?
edited by Dean Lee on 6/13/2016

[Fallen Boston here as well]

No Master is up to the task of fixing the MBTA, please.

And, let’s hope not, I don’t want to shovel lacre like I shoveled snow last year. Do you?

As far as the University, that’s easy. There’s Harvard and &quotThat quaint Technical School Down the Road.&quot Of course… ;P

edited by absimiliard on 6/13/2016

[quote=absimiliard][Fallen Boston here as well]

And, let’s hope not, I don’t want to shovel lacre like I shoveled snow last year. Do you?

As far as the University, that’s easy. There’s Harvard and &quotThat quaint Technical School Down the Road.&quot Of course… ;P
edited by absimiliard on 6/13/2016[/quote]

No one wants to shovel 10 feet or more of lacre, on anything else. That’s why you pay Urchins to do it.

I think this is a fun thread. However, remember the number one criterion for a city to join the Fallen–a love relationship involving the rulers of the City that could be exploited by the Masters. That aspect of some of the suggested Cities is worth discussion.

I think this is a fun thread. However, remember the number one criterion for a city to join the Fallen–a love relationship involving the rulers of the City that could be exploited by the Masters. That aspect of some of the suggested Cities is worth discussion.

The love relationship between us and our basketball team? Maybe the Masters will allow us to at least make it the final four or even win. . .

What I wouldn’t do for some Favors: Real Estate Agents.

Favors: Farmers can be traded for substance items.

Hm. The city I’m living now didn’t exist when London fell, if we are talking about it falling instead of London. If we are talking about it falling now, hm.

Fallen Belo Horizonte (it means Beautiful Horizon) would not have any stolen rivers, because we don’t have any proper river, just a few streams. But I’m pretty sure that we would have plenty of stolen hills. Our important buildings are pretty small (specially at the center of the city), so I suppose that the Bazaar will have to replace our central bus station. The streets at the center of the city are perfectly straight and planned and the names of the street are themed, so it will be glaringly obvious that they were changed by the Bazaar’s arrival.

The city is also waaay bigger than London was at the 19th century, so I imagine that most of the Neath’s landmass is going to get a chunk of city falling on top of it, too. It’s a running gag that, since we live in a landlocked State, people here looove beaches. Hey, guess what? WE WILL HAVE OUR OWN BEACH NOW, EAT THAT ESPÍRITO SANTO.

Ahem, where was I? Oh, yeah, factions. Don’t really think we do have factions. About location, there is a giant University here, a kinda bohemian place full of pubs and expensive shops, the stadium in which Brazil lost from German (no hard feelings against the Germans, yet we will pretty much mourn it for the next one hundred years or so), a big artificial lake next to the rich neighborhood and… I dunno if there is any more location of importance.

It’s not an old city, it’s not too full of mysteries. My bithplace is an older city, which used to be full of asylums. Every rich and influential people would send there their mad relatives. It had scheming politicians, steep hills, mists at night and at dawn and a few landmarks (no river, though). It could have fallen in the 19th century or now, the only problem is that it has always been a very small city compared to London. Most of the previous cities would be visible yet. There wasn’t a lot of factions, but they could be the Asylum Crew, the Madmen (some of them used to roam the city), and the two opposing rich families that almost torn the city politics in half, the Costas and the Andradas. Rubbery Men would still be a thing, I guess, as would the Devils. Soldiers in lieu of the Constables, and that’s it I guess.

Fallen Oxford would likely be similar to London, and indeed the Stolen River would still be the Thames, but the University would be much more prominent. The Bazaar would likely swallow the Radcliffe Camera and Mr Pages would confiscate most of the other libraries. Perhaps the Masters would style themselves Professors and not Misters, perhaps some of the larger colleges would have their own factions. Such things could be possible, had Victoria picked a city slightly further North.

(As a side-note I have no idea how the old Oxbridge rivalry would continue if we fell. I suppose Cambridge would have to come down to us for the boat race since we’d all burst into flames or die if we tried to go up to them. They’d better get used to fighting off zeebeasts.)
edited by Hark DeGaul on 6/13/2016

Fallen Nashville, Tennessee… Now that would be weird. I can’t imagine Southern Sensibilities getting along too well with the grimy 'Neath

The Masters have made the “Batman Building” (and yes, that is its actual nickname) into their new home, adding yet another layer of irony.

Religious conservatives getting up in arms at devils while the devils do their best to provoke them, finding their antics “hilariously charming”. Southern Baptist preachers go out in the streets with their entire congregation waving signs at Devils, warning the world that This is The End.

Mr. Wines, now Mr. Whiskey, goes to country music bars and during a especially spirited rendition of Rockytop loses itself in a fit of euphoric glee. Sinning Jenny becomes Sinning Jessica and wears cowboy boots over those red red stockings. Men and women dressed as Jesus parade up and down the sidewalks outside these bars, smiling serenely in the flashing neon lights while passerby fling coins at them and pose for pictures.

The Cumberland river, previously known for its catfish, now is home to monstrously sized cavefish, descended from the in habitants of the smaller but no less impressive caves honeycombing the limestone above. Riverboats glitter on the dark water, reminding the citizens of the stars that were lost oh so long ago.

The Parthenon has become a new home for the Museum of Mistakes; crime in Centennial Park has skyrocketed as Jack of smiles has made it his new stomping ground. Regardless, the neathy citizens come out in droves on Sunday afternoons to picnic on the grass while Rubbery Men operate popsicle stands and hand clumps of sticky amber to childern who have escaped the eye of their watchful parents.

Vanderbilt University has largely consolidated most of the other, smaller universities in the area (how could they run with their access to out of state students largely cut off??) and a new branch of science has opened up studying the biology of all these new creatures discovered in the caverns. In the quieter, darker classrooms, small classes gather to discuss samples taken surreptitiously from the bazaar herself. It she real? Can her taxonomy be discovered by ordinary means? The Masters don’t approve, but oftentimes aren’t fully aware of the extent this little project has been taken on.

Fallen Frankfurt… the Bazaar could pick whether to replace the Stock Exchange or the ECB - both, probably. Mr Wines & Mr Apples might actually merge into Herr Apfelwein in sheer delight and Herr Bratwurst would sell Rubbery Frankfurters of only slightly more worrying origin than their surface counterparts. Herr Zettelwirtschaft would be delighted with the annual Book Fair; and the Römer would be the Ministry of Public Decency’s new headquarters. There’s a Zoo, the Main would be the new Stolen River, and I’m sure at least one of the skyscrapers would fall into it to provide a location for the new House of Chimes.

Survivors of the 5th City would at least have the English Theatre. The Senckenberg would become the new Museum of Mistakes while the Goethe-University, the University of Applied Sciences and the School of Finance & Management would come to represent Celestial, Nocturnal and Bazaarine schools of thought. There’s enough churches around to support any number of Snuffer-turned-Bishops; the Central Station would benefit immensely from being taken over by Hell, while the Brass Embassy could take its pick in the Consulates Quarter. Concerning the weather, not much would change. Overall, I think people would adapt really well.

As to the tragic love story causing the sale of the city, it would probably be a desperate Eintracht fan trying to save the club from another relegation…

[quote=absimiliard][Fallen Boston here as well]

Hah! Fair enough XD
I’m still curious as to how much of the Greater Boston Area would fall.

[quote=Dean Lee][quote=absimiliard][Fallen Boston here as well]

Hah! Fair enough XD
I’m still curious as to how much of the Greater Boston Area would fall.[/quote]

Not enough to include Arkham, one should hope. The confluence of weirdnesses would make the Neath explode.

Fallen Los Angeles would probably take over a large section of the Zea, since the city is larger than some smaller countries.

The stolen river will also probably be dry, making the slow boat even easier to get off of.

The observatory for the blind astronomers will now be on top of a mountain, as the Griffith Park Observatory.

City Hall will be a poor replacement for the Shuttered Palace, but at least the ruler changes every few years.

No one will know how to properly shovel Lacre, since we are not used to snow.

Mr. Veils will need to invest in making warm clothes, since we will have trouble adapting to how cold it is in the Neath.

The Downtown skyscrapers will brush against the Stalactites. Beware the thing that lives on the roof.

Good luck to the mushrooms to find places to grow.

Hollywood = Veilgarden
Skid Row = Spite
LA Harbor = Wolfstack
Forgotten Quarter = remains of Fallen London

Fallen Belfast… god help the Neath

The Great Phoenix Metropolitan area erupted in great cheers as, for the first time in known history, the blasted yellow hate orb was temprorarily gone from the sky. Something about bats, urchins, yadda yadda yadda, but my god we can finally go outside without two tubes of sunscreen.

Praise be the Bazaar and the Masters.

I live in Saint John, New Brunswick. That’s the oldest city in Canada and arguably the worst city in Canada. If this one got taken, the air quality stay exactly the same and The Irving Family would become The Masters of The Bazaar. But they’d all become Mr Irving. So, not much would change, actually.

The Shuttered Palace would be uptown and every other place in the entire town would be Spite.

Why do I live here
edited by The Absurd Rogue on 6/16/2016