What is the Dawn Machine? [Spoilers]

I want to know about the dawn machine.
My best guess is it’s some sort of artificial star. though i’m not clear who built it, or how, or why.

I’ve gotten Supremacy: The Dawn Machine to the max value before, and triggered the event. It was a year ago though, i’ve forgotten what it said, or what happened. all i can really remember is that it didn’t explain much.

I’m very curious about this topic, give me information, throw all your spoilers at me.

[spoiler]
We learned from Fallen London that the Dawn Machine was built by the Admiralty to ensure London’s power. It is an artificial star and gained sentience due to the dodgy physics of the neath and information the Admiralty didn’t know about (Judgement information). It started mindcontrolling people in the start of an attempt to become the sole God of the Universe.
[\spoilers]

The actual information is in the conversation bit for the wry functionary and the fate locked last-dog society.

edited by suinicide on 1/5/2016

[quote=suinicide][spoiler]
We learned from Fallen London that the Dawn Machine was built by the Admiralty to ensure London’s power. It is an artificial star and gained sentience due to the dodgy physics of the neath and information the Admiralty didn’t know about (Judgement information). It started mindcontrolling people in the start of an attempt to become the sole God of the Universe.
[\spoilers]

The actual information is in the conversation bit for the wry functionary and the fate locked last-dog society.

edited by suinicide on 1/5/2016[/quote]
is there any information on how it was built, or why an artificial star might help london?
Also why then, is the dawn machine’s supremacy opposed to the admiralty? as i recall, you can only max out one.
what exactly is the meaning of the supremacy event it gives?

also, why does the admiral vanish when you do it?

The reason why the supernatural entities in Sunless Sea can exist is because they are not seen by the stars - or Judgements, as they are called. The Judgements decide what can be and what cannot, but they can’t see in the Neath so that’s why all the absurd things can happen there. The Admiralty wanted to construct their own Judgement in the Neath so they could banish whatever entities they wished and rule, and bring some sort of order. The plan backfired because they did not expect for the nascent Judgement to be able to control them instead - resulting in the New Sequence, a brainwashed Admiralty that protects the ongoing birth of the artificial Judgement.
edited by Foxman8472 on 1/6/2016

this has been very helpful, thank you.

How might the dawn machine be defeated, is such a thing possible?

The Liberation of Night would probably do it. I’d bet other Judgements could deal with it too (I mean, it is hiding in the neath right now, probably for a reason). Other than that, not much.
edited by suinicide on 1/6/2016

[quote=suinicide]The Liberation of Night would probably do it. I’d bet other Judgements could deal with it too (I mean, it is hiding in the neath right now, probably for a reason). Other than that, not much.
edited by suinicide on 1/6/2016[/quote]

Actually, that’s always been a theory of mine regarding the dawn machine: that it may become more and more dangerous (and horrifying) until it literally seems unstoppable, only to attract too much attention from other Judgements which end it, even at the point when it truly seems unstoppable.
[li]
edited by SouthSea Rutherby on 1/6/2016

I’m curious about this topic too. What exactly is the liberation of night? i only know it has something to do with those damnable revolutionaries

the LoN is a project that will kill the judgments and with them the light but if you want to know more i suggest the spacemarine blog http://saint-arthur.tumblr.com/
edited by wraith on 1/6/2016

The Liberation of the Night is the only way forward. Yet I shall miss the flash of dawn on scintillack, the madness wrought by a young and sickly law. Would that there were two Neaths, that we could fight Judgment and Memory on two fronts.

[quote=wraith]the LoN is a project that will kill the judgments and with them the light but if you want to know more i suggest the spacemarine blog http://saint-arthur.tumblr.com/
edited by wraith on 1/6/2016[/quote]

Honestly I thought the Liberation of Night was only meant to kill the Bazaar and the Dawn Machine – not the other stars. If I can recall, they oppose the Bazaar’s authority, not the Judgements’. I have no idea how they could tackle all of the stars at once. It just doesn’t seem like something they’d be powerless against.

[li]

Liberation will begin in the Neath, but the sights are set on the entire universe. It may take some time to get there…

if they can kill the dawn machine that is a false god potentially more powerful than judgements, they can kill judgement too and with them their law (by the way the judgments aren’t good person, are stars also god that consumes the soul of the people who dies)

Killing them gets rid of linear time and death, though. I’d rather have my soul devoured than live eternally in an anarchic mess.

[quote=suinicide]The Liberation of Night would probably do it. I’d bet other Judgements could deal with it too (I mean, it is hiding in the neath right now, probably for a reason). Other than that, not much.
edited by suinicide on 1/6/2016[/quote]

I kinda want to build a giant parabolic reflector on Aestival and use it to melt the stupid machine.
edited by Zyzzyva on 1/7/2016

Personally, I’d rather live forever in some way that might get better, than just have everything end in sadness.

To that end, is there really any faction out there that’s just trying to prolong Fallen London itself? I have too much fun living the hedonist’s life in its parlors to want something so drastic as soul-destruction or mindless chaos…

[li]

All I am saying is that I know NOTHING about any revolutionaries. That would just be silly.

[quote=Nanako]this has been very helpful, thank you.

How might the dawn machine be defeated, is such a thing possible?[/quote]

Well if you shoot a doomed monster hunter out of the Icarus in Black and hit the 2 meter exhaust port it will kill the nascent Judgement.

You could also kill two birds with one stone if you reverse the Dawn Machine’s polarity to make it a darkness-emitting Dusk Machine of sorts, which negates any authority from all other Judgements (as they can’t see shit) without the need to destroy them.

That, or tune it up to eleven blind the false-starts. I wonder what anti-Judgement measures the Iron Republic uses, if its freedom is based on more than a pact with them.

actually the entire neath can’t be under judgements’ law because the irrigo blind them
edited by wraith on 1/17/2016