What Do The Dreams Mean?

I’ve been meaning to ask this one for a while.

Simply put: what do the dreams from the associated Dream qualities mean? Has it ever been proven? I have been unable to find any such explanation to them, only merely how to grind them!

• A Game of Chess = Glimpses of the Great Game, seen through the eyes of past agents (possession/vision style)?

• Is Someone There? = Parabola.

• Stormy-Eyed / What the Thunder Said = Storm? Worshipers of him? I’m utterly convinced that it takes around a year of grinding to even reach the &quotend&quot of Stormy-Eyed!

• The Burial of the Dead = Tomb-colonist secrets?

• The Fire Sermon = The apocalyptic event that is one of the cities crashing down on top the previous?

• Death by Water = Drownies? Mr. Eaten hotline?

About the stormy-Eyed: you can grind it up on an island it took me about what 7 days of actions at most to do it. :)
Edit: It’s mutton Island the option &quotThe Mutton Island Wind…&quot ; in that storylet there’s an option that requires Stormy-Eyed and increases it with 1 CP and time passing with 2 CP. It’s a great place to also farm Favours: the Docks while you’re grinding Stormy Eyed!

Death by Water used to be tied to both the Murdergame that’s now retired Knife-and-Candle [See false Baptist heads] as well as SMEN [see text in dreams: e.g. &quotNorth… North&quot]

I’ve yet to understand the Fire Seremon fully, but I believe it are visions of one of the Previous Cities falling into ruins.
All the others sound quite like my own hypothesis, the &quotIs Someone There?&quot as Parabola is also supported by going to the Mirror-Marshes (the only dream quality that diminishes when you leave there compared to the Betlehem/State of some Confusion)
edited by Honeyaddict on 11/27/2018

Except for What The Thunder Said, all of the dream qualities are connected with both Parabola and Mr. Eaten, to various degrees. Given what Mr. Eaten’s old gig was, this is logical enough.

Also worth noting, all of the dreams except Is Someone There? are taken from the section titles of T. S. Eliot’s The Waste Land. If you’re wanting to play Schlomo and attempt to interpret the One-Eyed Bishop et al., that would be the place to start.

I knew the meanings of the other dreams, but where (which level) does Fire Sermon show the Falls of other cities?

PS: Dreams of Chess aren’t glimpses of the actual Game as we understand it; rather, if I interpret the Great Game item correctly, a resonance of the War in Heaven, in a form we can understand.
edited by Ixc on 11/28/2018

You’re more or less correct about most of them, but the Fire Sermon is about the war over dreams between Mr Wines and Mr Spices.

You’re right that he doesn’t show up much, but he appears in one of the regular Jack of Smiles Case endings, no money required. The Fate ending is just the other two combined.

[quote=Optimatum]You’re more or less correct about most of them, but the Fire Sermon is about the war over dreams between Mr Wines and Mr Spices.[/quote]Care to share more about this?

If I recall correctly [spoiler]

The two Masters, Mr. Spices and Mr. Wines both wanted the dreams after Mr. Eaten/Candles died, having left behind the candles and dreams. Thus they wage war on one another to determine who gets to control the realm of dreams. Mr. Candles still controls the dreams however.

**Edit: the path to dreams Credit to Ixc for correcting me :) [including but limited to Prisoner’s Honey ]

[/spoiler]
SMEN spoiler; you’ve been warned.
edited by Honeyaddict on 11/28/2018

Well, more accurately the paths to dreams, like Prisoner’s Honey.

My favorite snippet from the Dreams is this: Fallen London

Finally. Someone makes sense, and it’s me!

Many thanks, many thanks!
But where can one learn about this?

[quote=Skinnyman]Many thanks, many thanks!
But where can one learn about this?[/quote]
Go Seeking? :p

[quote=The Elfin Cannibal][quote=Skinnyman]Many thanks, many thanks!
But where can one learn about this?[/quote]
Go Seeking? :p[/quote]Even came back, but I don’t really recall these tiny bits. Probably because I did it over the course of too many months or there are some connections I have yet made.

The I’m a Candle Tumblr! It has incredible lore. The game became much more enjoying and less confusing for me after I found it.

Sorry if out-of-game discussion is off-topic for the Salons, I’m still not that acquinted with how things work here, but I do have something to add.

It’s also perhaps worth noting that the names of the Dream storylines, the names of specific Dream cards, and even some lines themselves are taken from T. S. Elliot’s poem The Waste Land. This creates some themes that don’t quite match up with anything in Fallen London lore. For example, how four of the Dreams are associated with the four elements: Earth-Burial, Fire-Sermon, Air-Thunder, Water-Death.

Speaking of dreams, is there a specific unlock quality to get the chess dreams? I’ve been using every single dream card since I joined FL and all of my other dreams are anywhere from 8-15 and I have Stormy Eyed, but I’ve never once seen a card for the Chess dreams.

[quote=Lorelai ]Speaking of dreams, is there a specific unlock quality to get the chess dreams? I’ve been using every single dream card since I joined FL and all of my other dreams are anywhere from 8-15 and I have Stormy Eyed, but I’ve never once seen a card for the Chess dreams.[/quote]Nop! It’s just damn rare because of RNG. Seems that many people have a small problem with the start, but you can always use Nadir’s card.
And I think that dreams are meant to take a lot of time to increase; all depending how active you are and how many cards you draw per day.