What Are We All Eating?

Over the years I have become very well acquainted with all kinds of wines, teas, and other neathy delights. However, I don’t have the foggiest idea what I have for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on an ordinary day. Does anyone know what the the staple foods of the neath are?

Rats.

Mushroom. Fish. Meat of uncertain origin. The occasional fruit from across the Underzee.

Makes sense. I shall pay closer attention to what I’m having for dinner next time.

Touching love stories and despair.

Edit: Oh, you meant human food. There’s always Fungus. Can’t go wrong with Fungus.
edited by An Individual on 1/1/2015

The wealthier residents of the city can afford to enjoy food imported from the surface at considerable cost. In the Sophia and Soap comics there was one food item called a &quotTrump and Fotheringay Esteemed Meat Pie&quot with ingredients including eel, kidney, mutton, cloves imported from the surface and apparently some powdered jade. More common pies are just filled with ratmeat I believe. Cave fish have also been exhibited as a possible item,and dishes of fried kippers are favored at the docks. Rubbery Lumps can be eaten at the carnival and roasted chestnuts can be found at the Labyrinth of Tigers. Lastly, various zeebeasts from angler crabs to sharks can be eaten so perhaps some captains bring them to shore for sale.

So a mix of surface goods, zee bounties and whatever can be grown or hunted within and near the city itself.

edited by Owen Wulf on 1/1/2015

Root vegetables seem popular. Real ones aren’t always available, of course, but on a good day, you can find a good haul of potatoes, turnips and so on at the Spite markets.

^ isn’t it hinted on mutton isle and a certain card on the zee, that rubbery lumps aren’t actually “rubbery” but some kind of mystery meat made with well-water?

You can offer Silas a jugged lizard, so lizards are apparently on the menu as well.

Crumpets. People drop crumpets in horror. People murder others over crumpets. Things like that.

I guess pretty much anything that grows/walks around in the Neath is on the menu and asking what it actually is you’re eating is never a good idea.
It’s probably even considered an improper question among polite society (except for the Apicius Club). Because well-off people don’t have to ask – they know the get the best, or at least better, stuff.

I wouldn’t be surprised either if there were some people kidnapping Urchins as a reliable source of fresh meat. I’m just saying…

Actually, isn’t that kind of what you’re literally eating if you decide to eat and/or spice a meal with lacre?

So, even if it’s not a staple, concentrated despair might at least be considered a seasonal snack food, like candy canes.

Well if the lacre options say you can feed it to wild boars there must be wild boars around, although I don’t recall them being mentioned anywhere else. We could eat them I suppose. Or the various other monsters we hunt. Seems like we might get scurvy though with so little fruit and vegetables, not to mention rickets without sunlight.
Do we have milk? Haven’t heard of any cows, neither shepherd isles nor mutton island seem to have any sheep, and the only goats are…well I don’t think we should try to milk them, that’s all.
Isn’t there a club for epicures trying neatly delicacies? I don’t remember what the food options on that card were but they were definitely interesting.

You can milk pigs!

(It’s just difficult)
edited by MidnightVoyager on 1/6/2015

[quote=KatarinaNavane]Well if the lacre options say you can feed it to wild boars there must be wild boars around, although I don’t recall them being mentioned anywhere else. We could eat them I suppose. Or the various other monsters we hunt. Seems like we might get scurvy though with so little fruit and vegetables, not to mention rickets without sunlight.
Do we have milk? Haven’t heard of any cows, neither shepherd isles nor mutton island seem to have any sheep, and the only goats are…well I don’t think we should try to milk them, that’s all.
Isn’t there a club for epicures trying neatly delicacies? I don’t remember what the food options on that card were but they were definitely interesting.[/quote]

The wild boars certainly aren’t a staple, at the very least; the card unlocked by having a Newspaper on the go suggests the meats most Neathy citizens ‘enjoy’ are of a, shall we say, poor quality

Unterzee animals. London’s right on the coast and a thriving port. Dockers seem to be the blue collar profession that comes up the most, which lends credence to the idea. Not to mention the Rubbery Lumps. In addition, this would help mitigate the aforementioned problem with rickets.

Unterzee animals don’t appear to taste particularly good, but I suppose we already knew London’s food was bad from the opportunity cards.

That’s the Apicius Club I mentioned. They make it a point of having tasted everything once, but of course that’s an extremely select group of extremely bored, extremely well-off individuals… ;)

Having sold “rubbery lumps” taken from a trash bin at the riverside when the ur-mob gathered for one event or another (okay, okay, the drowning of a child by a zea monster) I’m not quite sure that the rubbery lumps we sample at the carnival are authentic sea monster.

I’ve heard from zailors that when they sample such beasts from the zea, that there is zomething differnt about ze taste…

Well, it’s certainly prepared differently, at the very least.