Welcome to Polythreme! (spoilers)

I actually enjoy the Sea of Voices more than Polythreme. Being forced to dance with your clothes all the time make Polythreme a rather unpleasant place for me.

I actually enjoy the Sea of Voices more than Polythreme. Being forced to dance with your clothes all the time make Polythreme a rather unpleasant place for me.[/quote]

Needing to get 13 of a quality over and over again against luck storylets whilst keeping 1 Unnatural Exhuberance to allow me a look at anything interesting has turned Polythreme into days of frustration for me. I know there’s fabulous stuff around if I could beat the odds, but for now it’s a bit of a tease, and I really must be going.

You can always try the Grunting Fen.

Needing to get 13 of a quality over and over again against luck storylets whilst keeping 1 Unnatural Exhuberance to allow me a look at anything interesting has turned Polythreme into days of frustration for me. I know there’s fabulous stuff around if I could beat the odds, but for now it’s a bit of a tease, and I really must be going.[/quote]

Don’t play the odds. That’s the frustrating way to do Polythreme.

There’s a better way. First, use the cheap bribery to get EITHER your fascinating OR your investigating high. By “cheap” I mean the options that take surface-silk scraps and romantic notions; both of those are grindable at Polythreme. In doing so, you probably got some successes, so you have at least a little of the quality you’re not aiming for. Trade that in for the quality you want.

Then, begin the story starting with “A little Spy Work” or “A guided tour of polythreme”.

Those stories will each unlock one card which isn’t a luck-based card, it’s a stat check! Then, while in polythreme, spend your time grinding the 1.2 echo/action silk or romantic notion options; play ONLY the cards that are GUARANTEED to raise the stat you want. This way, you can get to all the stories without waiting for luck to go your way.

Little The, when finally I steamed away from Polythreme, I found myself on the Sea of Voices, which I’m quite enjoying, though I haven’t yet encountered the Grunting Fen.

M_L_G, I will copy that advice and use it upon my return, for I won’t be satisfied until I know why The Hundred agreed to the tithe that created the lowly (and lonely) Clay Men of the Neath. Thank you both for your generous assistance. -Miss McKenna

The Grunting Fen was charming enough, but now that I have scampered about every island on the blasted Unterzee, I seek new diversions…

What about a date with clay woman?

Oh yes, the Grunting Fen is turning out to be quite rewarding!

Although frustrated that I have to return all the way through the Sea of Voices, I must say…I’m rather excited to return. Polythreme holds great charm for me.

Now that there are new companions to be obtained in Polythreme (and new stories to hear), going back does not feel like a chore anymore. How exciting!

A new pet is a delightful prospect - though I do hope that some of the new content relating to the clockwork of the Neath lets us find some worthy home for our Albino Rats, to make room in the ol’ Pets bar. She’s a dear little thing, but I don’t have much use for her, and would rather she go to a family with children. (Possibly the Disgraced Bandit Chief could retire with her. He deserves it.)

I just realised something about the Sea of Voices. When psetting your course based on what the voices tell you, you get the following result:

[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]“Could that long ululating moan be ‘A path unmarred by obstacles’? Or perhaps ‘A future consumed and forgotten’ would be more accurate? Well, you’ll find out soon.”[/color]

What isn’t immediately obvious is that both phrases can be translated as the same English sentence: [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]“There is nothing ahead of you.”[/color] Clever!

[quote=M_L_G]Don’t play the odds. That’s the frustrating way to do Polythreme.

There’s a better way. First, use the cheap bribery to get EITHER your fascinating OR your investigating high. By “cheap” I mean the options that take surface-silk scraps and romantic notions; both of those are grindable at Polythreme. In doing so, you probably got some successes, so you have at least a little of the quality you’re not aiming for. Trade that in for the quality you want.

Then, begin the story starting with “A little Spy Work” or “A guided tour of polythreme”.

Those stories will each unlock one card which isn’t a luck-based card, it’s a stat check! Then, while in polythreme, spend your time grinding the 1.2 echo/action silk or romantic notion options; play ONLY the cards that are GUARANTEED to raise the stat you want. This way, you can get to all the stories without waiting for luck to go your way.[/quote]

Having had to do the cycle repeatedly to further my Ambition, I found this guide very useful! After getting access to the skill-based cards, I always tried to get the relevant car in inventory, then my usual routine was grinding Surface Silk until I got 100, then use it to bribe four times, then instead of starting grinding Romantic Notions I exchanged what Progress quality I didn’t need (usually the lucky successes allowed me to do it twice), at which point I used the card. At that point I could usually afford luck-based cards for the last CP needed; having 4 actions and needing only one success (if the skill based card popped out again it was a 100% chance^^).