Welcome to Night Vale

Am I seriously the first person to recommend Welcome to Night Vale here? It’s a twice-monthly podcast in the form of a community radio show. Night Vale is a small town in the U.S. desert, but, well, here’s a bit that is very FL-ish:

[quote]And now a word from our sponsors.

Seven lights in the window. Seven lights in the hall. Seven lights, seven lights, all in all. Six notes in the melody. Six notes form a dirge. Six notes to rid you of the urge. Five ways of escaping. Five ways all blocked off. Five ways, each one broken and lost. Four words in a whisper. Four words in your ear. Four words that fill you up with fear. Three taps of a finger. Three taps on a wall. Three taps as you try to stall. Two eyes, wide and desperate. Two eyes squinting scared. Two eyes open, yes, but nothing there. One light in the window. One light in the hall. One light, one light, all in all.

Taco Bell. Live más. [/quote]

(Episode 21, &quotA Memory of Europe.&quot)

Most of it hits the sweet spot for me of delightfully, weirdly inventive that FL does. (A few bits have been creepy, but not horrifying; and some of it has been surprisingly beautiful.) Y’all should check it out. (You can listen online if you don’t want to subscribe to the podcast.)

I just had this recommended to me by a friend last week. Only listened to one episode so far but enjoyed it a lot. Does have this uneasy, dream-like quality to it. Though that could be aided by the fact I usually listen to podcasts while drifting off to sleep.[li]

Whereas I usually listen while driving or cleaning, which drops the atmospheric effect by at least 25% . . .

Confirmed: Night Vale is pretty rad, especially while heard on the cusp of sleep.

I keep hearing this plugged…it also sounds quite FL-ish.

Its so strange, I’d never heard of Welcome to night vale until a week ago but now that i’ve started listening to it it seems to be everywhere…And i mean Everywhere.
But it is wonderful and i understand exactly what you mean by ‘Dream like quality’

There is one small detail though that makes my toes curl slightly and that’s the way the pronounce Cecil, with a looooong ‘ee’ sound but i suppose that’s just me being picky

[quote=Hex]Its so strange, I’d never heard of Welcome to night vale until a week ago but now that i’ve started listening to it it seems to be everywhere…And i mean Everywhere.
But it is wonderful and i understand exactly what you mean by ‘Dream like quality’

There is one small detail though that makes my toes curl slightly and that’s the way the pronounce Cecil, with a looooong ‘ee’ sound but i suppose that’s just me being picky[/quote]
It’s an American thing, I think? I’ve never heard someone in the US pronounced it with a short &quote&quot.[li]

I may have to get into this; I heard a random clip (something about &quotkill your double&quot and &quotO.M.G. it is the cutest thing ever&quot), and wasn’t sold on the ambience/quality of the voice acting.

(Apologies for necro-ing a 2.5-year old thread, but I figured it’d be best to keep this in the same place.)[li]

+1 to the Night Vale / FL resemblance. I don’t think it’s intentional, but they definitely seem to be mining from similar philosophical bedrock.

The Neath would also handily explain most of the weird stuff on the podcast:

• the &quothooded figures&quot: can you say, &quotMasters&quot, kids?

• the glow cloud. Actual quote from that episode:

• The mysterious giant pyramid, that appears and then starts sending dream-communications out

• Whatever was in that box You stole for a little while in A Story About You.

• the entire &quotkill your double&quot arc

• the magnitude 9.1 earthquake under the town (that nobody noticed)

• the waterfront complex where there is no water. Perhaps the Masters were nostalgic for Wolfstack. Perhaps the Zee has dried up.

• the five-headed dragon/felon running for Mayor

• houses that don’t actually exist, the Man in the Tan Jacket that nobody can remember the face of, etc etc etc

If Fallen London ever gets a telegraph system, watch out for people named ‘Cecil’ :)

AAHH! I’m so glad this thread exists. I’ve always liked to think that the subway (you know the one that had a flyer with “indecipherable glyphs” ahem correspondence anyone?) was actually a passage to Fallen London.

Well, It probably was. Of course, it probably traveled in a (sic) parabola to get there, too. You know, like what you get when you put a quarter of a circle up to a mirror.

The biggest difference, though, is night vale believes in the inexplicable, that their reality doesn’t have to make sense, doesn’t make sense, can’t make sense. Meanwhile, fallen london feels like night vale at first, but while cecil would never truly understand the rules night vale runs on (there aren’t any), if you explore fallen long enough, you can understand it. or, well, not understand it, truly, but approach such a point. fallen london is impossible to understand in the same way our reality is- there’s simply not enough time or oppurtunities to understand it all, but it all can, theoretically, be understood. meanwhile, night vale is impossible to understand what will happen and why. or at least, that’s how each feels.
edited by Grenem on 1/6/2016

the glow cloud reminded me the dawn machine (by the way i dicovered it through this post)

Ah yes, Welcome To Night Vale is delightful! I find it the perfect companion for long road trips.

What was that?

[quote=wraith]the glow cloud reminded me the dawn machine (by the way i dicovered it through this post)[/quote]I’m so excited to hear that!