Weekly Sunless Skies Questions, 25/02/2019

Here’s this week’s thread for quick questions about Sunless Skies!

Can the personal quest of the Clay Conductor be solved in a way that changes him permanently, even after the current lineage has ended?

This is probably answered somewhere obvious, but why aren’t ex-Neathers decimated by starlight in the High Wilderness?

I’m pretty sure that’s why Victoria had to kill Albion’s sun before the big colonization. The Dawn Machine–the prototype for The Clockwork Sun–was built specifically to serve as a source of light and heat but not Law, which is what kills Neathers.

Of course, that doesn’t explain why they aren’t killed by the Azure in the Blue Kingdom. But maybe it’s only the light of your own star, ie, Sol, Earth’s Sun, that would do it? And then we know that the King of Hours, Albion’s star, isn’t Sol… yeah, this game gets confusing sometimes.

The light of distant stars definitely drives Neathers (and everyone) crazy and self-destructive over time, presumably because it’s a slow drip of Law, much less intense than direct sunlight but with a cumulative effect.

I have a burning need. A need for increased speed!

[quote=naraoia]I’m pretty sure that’s why Victoria had to kill Albion’s sun before the big colonization. The Dawn Machine–the prototype for The Clockwork Sun–was built specifically to serve as a source of light and heat but not Law, which is what kills Neathers.

Of course, that doesn’t explain why they aren’t killed by the Azure in the Blue Kingdom. But maybe it’s only the light of your own star, ie, Sol, Earth’s Sun, that would do it? And then we know that the King of Hours, Albion’s star, isn’t Sol… yeah, this game gets confusing sometimes.

The light of distant stars definitely drives Neathers (and everyone) crazy and self-destructive over time, presumably because it’s a slow drip of Law, much less intense than direct sunlight but with a cumulative effect.[/quote]
I had the same thought about Albion’s sun, that it must have been killed to protect the colonists from Law. As for the other stars, maybe there’s an explanation that hasn’t been revealed yet, but it seems like any star would obliterate the Neathers…there are references in certain FL stories about the potential of other Judgments bringing Law to the Neath (and destroying it).

And here I thought she wanted to kill it so she could sit on the Throne of Hours. (Can you really imagine Her Enduring Majesty living contentedly in someone else’s dominion? For one thing, she wouldn’t be Her Enduring Majesty then.)