Weekly Questions, Beginning 30/03/2016

Here’s this week’s thread for questions you want answers to, and vice versa! If you want a quick pointer for where to grind Romantic Notions at cap, or who’s maintaining the current directory of London’s most melancholy souls, here’s the place to ask.

The profitable way is to draw cards in the Flit until you find the Calling Favours in the Flit card which lets you cash in on Revolutionaries connection.

While (very) profitable, it also advances the Liberation of Night, so you might not want that on your conscience.

Are there any negative repercussions for the Plotting Against the Masters storyline?

[quote=th8827]Are there any negative repercussions for the Plotting Against the Masters storyline?[/quote]Once you start it, you are forevermore cursed with a pointless card in your deck.

By “Start it” do you mean “gain the Plotting Against the Masters quality” or “have enough stats and connections to get the nag card”?

My character loves the Masters and hates the Revolutionaries.

You get the card by getting the Plotting Against the Masters quality, but you can always change your mind. If you do carry out their commission, however, you’re stuck with the card.

I only did that out of curiosity, and because I was explicitly told I could accept the commission for the money rather than out of sympathy with the revolutionary cause, which I’ve never had. Much good it has done me…

What happened with the journal? And is it fixed?

I tend to be overly prepared. Because, of course I do.
Thing is, I lost my chance to read an important part of the story, because I wanted to change my hat while escaping a fire. That can happen to anyone, ok?
Is there a way to read a story result you have neither in your journal, nor can get back to? (Ambition: Light Fingers 48)

[quote=Jillius]I tend to be overly prepared. Because, of course I do.
Thing is, I lost my chance to read an important part of the story, because I wanted to change my hat while escaping a fire. That can happen to anyone, ok?
Is there a way to read a story result you have neither in your journal, nor can get back to? (Ambition: Light Fingers 48)[/quote]

In your Myself tab, under &quotAmbition&quot you can click on the red button(I forgot the text) to see text from your ambition.

[quote=The Master][quote=Jillius]I tend to be overly prepared. Because, of course I do.
Is there a way to read a story result you have neither in your journal, nor can get back to? (Ambition: Light Fingers 48)[/quote]

In your Myself tab, under &quotAmbition&quot you can click on the red button(I forgot the text) to see text from your ambition.[/quote]

&quotREMINISCE about your adventures&quot, apparently. I had no idea about this, myself. Thanks!

Any sources for bundles of oddities that aren’t luck based(I mean actions like fun with fisher kings that are a luck check to get the bundle), bundles of oddities seem to be the only sources of scraps that you don’t get through cards.(And yes, I already have all the lodgings that give scrap expect the Knife and candle one, I only need a way to get scraps without having to use cards).

The Student Body would be just the ticket if you aren’t done with the university storyline just yet. Otherwise, I think getting Urchins rep and flipping cards in the Flit is probably the best you’re going to do.

So, I just came back to FL from a long absence and started my character over. I’m primarily Persuasive, and want to focus on the Great Game (not the smartest combination, I know), but I’m not sure where to go to increase either of those further. Persuasive is 43, so I’m not really high enough to do stuff in the Palace yet (and can’t afford to get there anyway), but everything I’m finding is either extremely unlikely to succeed or 100% and gives almost no Persuasive gain. Am I missing something? Should I just keep playing cards and hoping? And on the Great Game (4, currently), I can’t really find any ways to increase it much. I’ve done the Tattooed Courier storylet, but everything else that seems to increase it requires higher than I have to start. So yeah, could definitely use some pointers on both counts.

Also, it feels so, so good to be back.

[quote=Psirynn]So, I just came back to FL from a long absence and started my character over. I’m primarily Persuasive, and want to focus on the Great Game (not the smartest combination, I know), but I’m not sure where to go to increase either of those further. Persuasive is 43, so I’m not really high enough to do stuff in the Palace yet (and can’t afford to get there anyway), but everything I’m finding is either extremely unlikely to succeed or 100% and gives almost no Persuasive gain. Am I missing something? Should I just keep playing cards and hoping? And on the Great Game (4, currently), I can’t really find any ways to increase it much. I’ve done the Tattooed Courier storylet, but everything else that seems to increase it requires higher than I have to start. So yeah, could definitely use some pointers on both counts.

Also, it feels so, so good to be back.[/quote]

The GG Is hard to increase in general. I would recommend getting a sulky bat for early-game gains. You may want to increase your church connection a little to run into their conflict card and farm GG that way.

[quote=Vavakx Nonexus][quote=Psirynn]So, I just came back to FL from a long absence and started my character over. I’m primarily Persuasive, and want to focus on the Great Game (not the smartest combination, I know), but I’m not sure where to go to increase either of those further. Persuasive is 43, so I’m not really high enough to do stuff in the Palace yet (and can’t afford to get there anyway), but everything I’m finding is either extremely unlikely to succeed or 100% and gives almost no Persuasive gain. Am I missing something? Should I just keep playing cards and hoping? And on the Great Game (4, currently), I can’t really find any ways to increase it much. I’ve done the Tattooed Courier storylet, but everything else that seems to increase it requires higher than I have to start. So yeah, could definitely use some pointers on both counts.

Also, it feels so, so good to be back.[/quote]

The GG Is hard to increase in general. I would recommend getting a sulky bat for early-game gains. You may want to increase your church connection a little to run into their conflict card and farm GG that way.[/quote]

Definitely a tricky connection. You might stop by the carnival sideshows to get it up to 5 (in range of conflict cards), then convert Church faction to Great Game.

Check out this guide. It has some other suggestions that could help around the edges.

Thank you muchly!

Does the ‘A Power in the Waiting’ quality have broad effects, outside of completing the Affair of the Box? I am sympathetic to the cause and so on, but also I like power and wealth. Will siding against the Masters (…ish) have repercussion?

It won’t have any negative repercussions, or at least none currently exist. The upside of siding with the Revolutionaries in this is that one of the options along the cycle gives you a couple Correspondence Plaques, so it’s more profitable.

I’ve still got my Recent Visit to Millicent quality. Also, is there a living story associated with making the Captivating Princess acquaintance this Feast? I was planning to go out to zee for the next two weeks but I wanted to be sure first.