Weekly Questions, Beginning 24/02/2016

The fastest way is probably by converting Memories of Light since you can side convert your other resources into Luminosity. After you’re through with Memories of Light (or whenever you have enough) you can convert the Mourning Candles for even more points until you hit the LoN cap.

Edit: Actually, I think even the lowest tiers of Luminosity raise LoN now, so using those would probably be your best bet.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 2/24/2016

I would say, though this is probably obvious, that the church-vs.-great game is one of the best methods for stat boosting- so you should bother with that.

Making a small donation to the widow gives 1 echo in inklings, which isn’t bad, though it costs 20 pence, it also gives stat boosts, and inklings are one of those items that can be really irksome to gather.[/quote]

Thank you, both. I am capped so stat gain is, unfortunately, not very valuable for me. The inkling idea is interesting, I’ll have a think. Basically, I want to calculate the effective worth of the drunken rat route but it has to account for the opportunity cost of playing SiC gaining cards instead of some other more profitable ones.

[quote=Sara Hysaro]The fastest way is probably by converting Memories of Light since you can side convert your other resources into Luminosity. After you’re through with Memories of Light (or whenever you have enough) you can convert the Mourning Candles for even more points until you hit the LoN cap.

Edit: Actually, I think even the lowest tiers of Luminosity raise LoN now, so using those would probably be your best bet.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 2/24/2016[/quote]

Yes, the lowest tier does increase LoN, you can farm it in unfinisehd business in ladybone road and get it to 50 in probably about a week.

Let me give piece of advice here as someone who’s ground my SiC up to 19 for the 2nd time: you might want to be prepared to bank The Gift from the Relicers because it was otherwise popping up all the time for me once you’re over 4.

I haven’t crunched any numbers here, but I’ve been doing something similar through Zailing the high seas. Zailing is somewhat profitable if you have the luxury pleasure yacht, and you tend to accrue SiC quite quickly from the opportunity cards. Apis Meet is a good place to Zail too, since a) it’s very lucrative while you’re there, and b) you get kicked out pretty quickly.

This might be a terrible strategy. But I like it.

What is the fastest/easiest way to grind up each of the quirks?

That is a complex enough question that it might take a guide to answer it! It depends on how high you want to raise them [5/10/15] and whether you’re just going for one or multiple quirks, since raising one will often lower another. And some can only be raised beteen 10 and 12 via non-repeatable means. Are you thinking of a particular quirk, or wondering how to grind all of them up to 5, or 10? (15 I think can only be done on new characters at this point.)

[quote=metasynthie]
And some can only be raised beteen 10 and 12 via non-repeatable means. Are you thinking of a particular quirk, or wondering how to grind all of them up to 5, or 10? (15 I think can only be done on new characters at this point.)[/quote]

I’ve looked around the wiki, and I’ve found that quirks can be increased to 15 with connected items, but to do that you need at least 12 of the quirk itself. Would you know how to do that (increase quirks to at least 12, that is)?

Short answers…

Austere: loop though the first half of the Iron Republic repeatedly

Hedonist: have debauched affairs in Court, at the University (with the Summerset Provost), or with the Melancholy Curate & sister; if those are all locked, pay Fate to play croquet with a Deviless or wait for the Feast of the Exceptional Rose and enjoy the decadence at Mrs. Plenty’s

Heartless: betray the Sardonic Music-Hall Singer by borrowing moon-pearls from her; or, be a Spirifer and sell souls to Hell; or, let a Noman die carelessly

Ruthless: let a Noman die and fight it in its final moments (&quotwait with a bucket&quot)

Subtle: let a Noman die and go wait on a park bench while it dies

Steadfast: there’s a grindable option partway through the Velocipede Squad fate-locked story; or you can raise Criminals Renown very high with an Old Bone Skeleton Key

Magnanimous: be a Shepherd of Souls and turn in souls & infernal contracts together; or let a Noman die and be nice to it

Melancholy: huff Tears of the Bazaar

Everything else is either non-repeatable (like say, many of the Making Your Name gates when those qualities go up, or climactic points in Ambition stories, Tales of the University, etc) or has other problems.
edited by metasynthie on 2/25/2016

Well… My immediate need is Ruthless to 8 (for something Fate locked), and I don’t have a Noman.

I was advised to hire clay laborers, but I was hoping that there were other, less expensive options.

I got Master Thief up to five recently, and also performed a grand seance for War of Illusions. Both told me that they would open up new story branches, but I’m not seeing anything popping up. Have I missed something.

[quote=th8827]Well… My immediate need is Ruthless to 8 (for something Fate locked), and I don’t have a Noman.
I was advised to hire clay laborers, but I was hoping that there were other, less expensive options.[/quote]

[ul][li]&quotTrounce the fellow&quot from the notorious City Vices card can get you up to 5
[/li][/ul][ul][li]you can reach 6 by poisoning your acquaintances. You could look on the forum for people wanting to be poisoned ;)[/li][/ul][ul][li]Past that, repeatedly visit Mutton Island to pick up the quality that lets you &quotBlackmail Mrs Plenty&quot in London…[/li][/ul][ul][li]… and while you’re at Zee, &quotHoist the black flag&quot - but keep an eye on your Suspicion…[/li][/ul]-------
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 2/25/2016

[quote=metasynthie]Short answers… etc…
[/quote]

Thanks for the info! Funny how more of the ‘cold’ options require the dying of your noman, huh.

[quote=malthaussen]Who killed Cock Robin, then?

– Mal[/quote]
&quotI!&quot said the Cat
the Starveling Cat
&quotI killed Cock Robin!&quot

[quote=th8827]Well… My immediate need is Ruthless to 8 (for something Fate locked), and I don’t have a Noman.

I was advised to hire clay laborers, but I was hoping that there were other, less expensive options.[/quote]

Yea. Zail and use the card which depicts a sinking ship. Choose to zail ahead and not helping. Caps at 10. (Don’t confuss with &quothoist the black flag&quot. Thats another card which raises heartless).
Rinse and repeat. You can zail forever, untill completing desired ruthless
edited by Gonen on 2/25/2016

If you include: goods directly from the card (1E) and Calling in Favors (.3E) the Church/Hell Card is OK.
1 The Great Game/Church card keeps my Church high
2 I convert to Hell
3 Call in favors, and
4 when SiC reaches 16cps I go rob a rat. Only once.
If you include the SiC, then the profit isn’t bad.

[quote=Gonen][quote=th8827]Well… My immediate need is Ruthless to 8 (for something Fate locked), and I don’t have a Noman.
Yea. Zail and use the card which depicts a sinking ship. […] You can zail forever, until completing desired ruthless.[/quote]
Unfortunately, that’s not quite right - this option increases Heartless, not Ruthless. &quotHoist the black flag&quot, however, does increase Ruthless up to 10, and gives Bundles of Oddities on top. But watch your Suspicion…

[quote=Rupho Schartenhauer][quote=Gonen][quote=th8827]Well… My immediate need is Ruthless to 8 (for something Fate locked), and I don’t have a Noman.
Yea. Zail and use the card which depicts a sinking ship. […] You can zail forever, until completing desired ruthless.[/quote]
Unfortunately, that’s not quite right - this option increases Heartless, not Ruthless. &quotHoist the black flag&quot, however, does increase Ruthless up to 10, and gives Bundles of Oddities on top. But watch your Suspicion…[/quote]

Correct! Got them both switched. Thank you for that correction.
I just sent them to rob the wrong ship… Oh my

On Ruthless:
Depending on where you are in the Labyrinth of Tigers story, Capture a new exhibit (off The third coil) will give you +3CP per action.

So what’s the deal about scraps, exactly? I know they’re extremely valuable, and you can trade them with the Relicker for… Stuff. He offers a lot of options, though. Which offers are the best? And how can I acquire more scraps? The few I have are all from the ‘making your name’ storylines.

EDIT: Another question! What’s a good way to increase my Dangerous 59 stat? I’m trying to follow the Black Ribbon stuff at the docks, but the success rate is still low for me and I’m gaining more wounds than exp.
edited by Zeroebbasta on 2/26/2016