Weekly Questions, Beginning 24/02/2016

Hullo, folks! We’re beginning a bit of a new venture here, inspired by the fine folks at the Fallen London subreddit. Every week, we’ll have a thread where folks with questions can find answers, or advice… or at least earnest encouragement! To keep these threads accessible, up-to-date, and generally peppy, I’ll be closing them one week after their creation.

So, if you need to know what a quality is for, or where to earn Memories of Distant Shores, or what the difference is between the Cantigaster and a cantilever, this is the place to ask! And I hope and trust that the forum’s thoroughly impressive, and sweetly-scented, collective brains will do their best to answer. I’ll be closing this thread at noon GMT, Wednesday the 2nd of March.
edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 2/24/2016

I was thinking of making a thread for this, but now that this exists…

I need a way to advance liberation of the night that still provides some profit, I know you can use some items to get it but that doesn’t really give me much, am I stuck with this option?

[quote=The Master]I was thinking of making a thread for this, but now that this exists…

I need a way to advance liberation of the night that still provides some profit, I know you can use some items to get it but that doesn’t really give me much, am I stuck with this option?[/quote]Grinding Connected: Revolutionaries in the Forgotten Quarter and cashing it in using Call in Favours in the Flit is reasonably profitable even taking the suspicion into account, but it does require you to draw the right opportunity card in the right place, so it’s not grindable.

Well, it’s very very slowly grindable. As in, it took me about three months to ditch all the Connected: I’d gained during Hallowmas (which was a lot).

By lucky chance, Jermion has come by a bottle of Black Wings Absinthe, which he gathers he can either drink alone or in company. He is uncertain whether this is a polite invitation to issue, since the beverage seems, let us say, dodgy.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Jermion

Who killed Cock Robin, then?

– Mal

What is the most profitable way of getting Someone is Coming? Which I suppose boils down to two sub-questions: 1) What is the most profitable non-Conflicts SiC source? and 2) What is the most profitable Conflicts strategy if the sole reason for playing them is to accrue SiC (with a view to cashing it later with the drunken rat)

[quote=Jermaine Vendredi]By lucky chance, Jermion has come by a bottle of Black Wings Absinthe, which he gathers he can either drink alone or in company. He is uncertain whether this is a polite invitation to issue, since the beverage seems, let us say, dodgy.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Jermion[/quote]

Yes, it does raise scandal for the both of you. So not everyone will be happy to share.
On the other hand, it is a nice experience to do at least once, just to find out what it is. Try suggesting your friends via another social action (&quotI have achieved this marvelous dreadful hallucinogenic wine from Spite. Care to join me for a drink? I warn you it may have a slightly menacing effect for the both of us…&quot).

On the flip side, does anyone know how best to get rid of my Revolutionaries connection without progressing the LoN? I’d prefer it to be as profitable as possible, but the main goal is to lower their connections. Any ideas?

Not profitable, but effective: Gain 4 turncoat via AotB and reset that quality using Revolutionaries. Lowering it very quickly.

Thanks Gonen! Also, what about nightmares? What are the best ways to raise nightmares that can be somewhat profitable or beneficial (such as raising dreams or getting exhibition supplies)? I’m wanting to test out some stuff with nightmares so I’ll be needing as much of the stuff as I can get. Might as well make something off of it while I’m at it.

@ Gonen

Thank you!

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Jermion

I think seeking curios in the Forgotten Quarter can be quite profitable and effective at raising your Nightmares as well. The lower your watchful the quicker your Nightmares will rise, as you will fail the tougher challenges, but even with high watchful you will accumulate nightmares.

[quote=Sir Joseph Marlen]Also, what about nightmares? What are the best ways to raise nightmares that can be somewhat profitable or beneficial (such as raising dreams or getting exhibition supplies)? [/quote]Forgotten Quarter; Seek Curios and Secrets (Airs dependent) or use Appalling Secrets for Expedition Supplies. (Reference.)

[quote=genesis]What is the most profitable way of getting Someone is Coming? Which I suppose boils down to two sub-questions: 1) What is the most profitable non-Conflicts SiC source? and 2) What is the most profitable Conflicts strategy if the sole reason for playing them is to accrue SiC (with a view to cashing it later with the drunken rat)[/quote]1) I can’t think of any particularly profitable non-Conflict SiC source aside from Zee cards, and then it’s mainly profitable in contrast to how unprofitable all your other actions are.

1. The Docks/Urchin conflict card (Youthful High Spirits) favoring the Urchins overall is probably the most profitable if you’re willing to flip cards in the Flit to cash in excess Urchins connection. The Rubbery Men/Revolutionaries card favoring the Revolutionaries overall with the same cash-in card is even more profitable, but it might be difficult to maintain sufficient Rubbery connections without cluttering your deck with a lot of extra cards. If you don’t want your deck flooded with less profitable conflict cards, Urchins requires you to tank Hell and Widow connections, while Rubbery Men require you to tank Tomb Colonists and Constables.
    edited by Kaigen on 2/24/2016

I would say, though this is probably obvious, that the church-vs.-great game is one of the best methods for stat boosting- so you should bother with that.

Making a small donation to the widow gives 1 echo in inklings, which isn’t bad, though it costs 20 pence, it also gives stat boosts, and inklings are one of those items that can be really irksome to gather.

Not profitable, but effective: Gain 4 turncoat via AotB and reset that quality using Revolutionaries. Lowering it very quickly.[/quote]

[li]
You can also use the &quotAmber in the well&quot opportunity card, with a better rate of return, and that will get it much lower than the Traitor’s Feast.

I have to make up for these weak-in-the-knees turncoats. What’s the fastest way to advance the Liberation of Night?

That will give only 0.32 echos and +1 to someone is coming. And a +1 in scandal, with only reduction of -15CP of Revolutionaries instead of -100CP (!) at once at the Traitor’s Feast.
It’s card dependent, so it will take a lot of time (Traitor’s Feast is repeatable - only 5 actions to it. 4XTurncoat and Feast) and will raise a lot of Rubbery connection, which will clutter the deck with another useless connection (I think the point of the reduction of Revolutionaries was to decrease the deck size).[/li]

The fastest? I could be mistaken, but presuming you have a decent stockpile of Luminosity items, you could just upconvert until you max it, no? Only hearsay. Atticus takes no truck with revolutionaries… despite him accidentally becoming a &quotRingleader&quot during Hallowmas. Those folks REALLY need to get better screening processes.
[li]