Weekly Fallen London Questions, 27/12/2021

Hey folks! Here’s this week’s quick questions thread!

Not sure if this would be better in the Christmas thread, but I’m wondering why the “Stick with what you know” option on Day 4 of Mr Sacks is available to me if I’ve completed the investigation? At least, I thought I’d completed it, got the item at the end and everything.

After experiencing rather disturbing dreams for some time I woke up in the middle of the night and coughed out an odd red pearl. My contacts at the docks continue to give me conflicting advice on what I should do with it. I could either cast it into the zee or barter with a Listless-Pearl Diver. Or keep it. I’m having a hard time deciding. What would you recommend fellow Londoners?

You can trade it for a colour of the neathbow which…I don’t think has any uses currently but might eventually, otherwise you can just trade it for an assortment of goods, you’ll get a repeatable way to grind these in the khanate eventually so they seem rarer than they are at first

You get to do a new investigation every year (if you want). Day 4 is when you pick which investigation to do and start it (or none of them - that’s the &quotstick with what you know&quot option).

[quote=amalgamate][quote=theonie]Not sure if this would be better in the Christmas thread, but I’m wondering why the &quotStick with what you know&quot option on Day 4 of Mr Sacks is available to me if I’ve completed the investigation? At least, I thought I’d completed it, got the item at the end and everything.[/quote]You get to do a new investigation every year (if you want). Day 4 is when you pick which investigation to do and start it (or none of them - that’s the &quotstick with what you know&quot option).[/quote] Right, I thought that was the &quotKeep your plans to yourself&quot option, but I guess that starts a new investigation as well. Not sure why that struck me as ambiguous this year! :)

Oh! Yeah, you’re right, I misinterpreted your question. I was thinking of “keep your plans to yourself”.

[quote=Emma DeLeskie] You can trade it for a colour of the neathbow which…I don’t think has any uses currently but might eventually, otherwise you can just trade it for an assortment of goods, you’ll get a repeatable way to grind these in the khanate eventually so they seem rarer than they are at first[/quote] Thanks, I have elected to go with getting the Peligin-filled Mirror-Catch Box. I have however another question for my fellow Londoners. I happen to need a prodigious and particular amount of skyglass knives to present to the Esurient Smith in order to progress my Ambition. My paltry ~1800 echoes isn’t enough to afford the amount he asks so I would like to know what would the best echo grind be? Do you think I should focus on other things before pursuing the rudely specific and expensive amount of knives? I would very much like to know what my next course of action should be.

P.S. I currently don’t have access to the Bone Market, Nadir, Parabola, the Khanate and probably other places I don’t know about. And no sadly I do not own a lab as of yet.

Hmm, anything that is rat-market sellable is a good idea - since you can buy skyglass knives at the rat market a little cheaper than at the Bazaar.

Not sure what’s best yet with those limitations you’ve posted. Probably using the Newspaper to grind Uncanny Incunabula, see comment at Uncanny Incunabulum - Fallen London Wiki ?

[quote=amalgamate]Hmm, anything that is rat-market sellable is a good idea - since you can buy skyglass knives at the rat market a little cheaper than at the Bazaar.

Not sure what’s best yet with those limitations you’ve posted. Probably using the Newspaper to grind Uncanny Incunabula, see comment at Uncanny Incunabulum - Fallen London Wiki ?[/quote] Ah, I suppose I probably should’ve mentioned that I also don’t own a newspaper and have not started anything railway related as well. I’m starting to think I should pursue all these things I don’t have and put my Ambition to the side until I have more options available to me. Or I could go with my current echo grind and brawl dockers for about a month. Not sure if I want to do that though as it’d certainly make the game quite boring. Ugh, decisions decisions!

[quote=Sir Jedidiah ][quote=amalgamate]Hmm, anything that is rat-market sellable is a good idea - since you can buy skyglass knives at the rat market a little cheaper than at the Bazaar.

Not sure what’s best yet with those limitations you’ve posted. Probably using the Newspaper to grind Uncanny Incunabula, see comment at Uncanny Incunabulum - Fallen London Wiki ?[/quote] Ah, I suppose I probably should’ve mentioned that I also don’t own a newspaper and have not started anything railway related as well. I’m starting to think I should pursue all these things I don’t have and put my Ambition to the side until I have more options available to me. Or I could go with my current echo grind and brawl dockers for about a month. Not sure if I want to do that though as it’d certainly make the game quite boring. Ugh, decisions decisions![/quote]

Ambitions are meant to be a long-term goal and you’ll only actually finish your ambition in the late game, if a goal currently seems boring or unreasonable you’re meant to put it off until you’re in a better position to deal with it, so yes I’d personally recommend putting it off for now

I second Emma’s point. I’ve been here for three or four years and just finished mine a couple of months ago.

[quote=Emma DeLeskie] Ambitions are meant to be a long-term goal and you’ll only actually finish your ambition in the late game, if a goal currently seems boring or unreasonable you’re meant to put it off until you’re in a better position to deal with it, so yes I’d personally recommend putting it off for now[/quote] Okay, yeah I’ll put it aside for now and explore all the other content London has to offer. Thanks for your input everyone I really appreciate it.

Agreed with everyone else. Plus I’ll add my own note: you will find that your ambition needs require - or are at least made much easier by - progressing other parts of the story.

I really have to have a pretty advanced lab to craft some weapons that I need, for example. (Not to mention the several thousands of echoes in materials, well beyond me for now.) I needed to get to Parabola, earlier. And well before that, a ship was vital - which meant POSI, and I recall that seemed quite costly. I sold almost everything I had to buy a fancy suit.

Now I have 3 parallel steps to take for my ambition and I’m pretty sure I’m going to get to Paramount Presence first, as well as at least halfway to hell on the railway. There’s some really interesting and fun content up that way.

Anyone got a rough estimate of how many unique cards there are in the deck of an endgame player? I’m trying to estimate the value of cards in London compared to cards in the Hinterlands now that I’ve got a hellworm.

[quote=amalgamate]Anyone got a rough estimate of how many unique cards there are in the deck of an endgame player? I’m trying to estimate the value of cards in London compared to cards in the Hinterlands now that I’ve got a hellworm.[/quote]I’ve been pondering this for the last week as well. I don’t have a count for London, but you’ve got a ~12.4% chance of drawing the Hellworm card if you flip cards in Balmoral or Marigold. It might be anecdotal, but my EPA for Upper River is insane now compared to what I was getting from cards in London.

Of course now there’s the new New Year’s card that’s like 10 EPA or something, so that might sway things a bit. Between that new card, the Zero-action Discordant Ripple cards, and only playing high EPA cards (A Visit, the Arbor card, etc.), I’m finding it hard to decide which is better to draw cards in. Currently I spent the first half of the day Milking my Worm (…yeah), and the other half in London drawing cards and building Brass Lollipops.

My journal says the year is 1900. Should I keep quiet about it?

[quote=Eric Kuritzky]My journal says the year is 1900. Should I keep quiet about it?[/quote] Yes. The Ministry of Public Decency already has thrown countless calendars and journals that have the true year into pyres. Don’t let them burn yours as well. Vive la révolution!