Weekly Fallen London Questions, 24/05/2021

Here’s this week’s thread for quick Fallen London questions.

I just realized I seem to have missed completing the story of the Wandering Gondolier in Jericho Locks.

I have the Call of the Wanderer quality of 16, which according to the Wiki isn’t the end of the story, I think. I have discovered the Sere Palace, so it’s my understanding that I can’t go back there to check if the Gondolier is hanging around still? At least it’s not an option on the “charter a barge” list of options (I’m a Doctore of the Guild).

Any hints what to do next?

I completed the story with an alt, but now I have no memory of how I finished it.

[quote=Myrto]I just realized I seem to have missed completing the story of the Wandering Gondolier in Jericho Locks.

I have the Call of the Wanderer quality of 16, which according to the Wiki isn’t the end of the story, I think. I have discovered the Sere Palace, so it’s my understanding that I can’t go back there to check if the Gondolier is hanging around still? At least it’s not an option on the &quotcharter a barge&quot list of options (I’m a Doctore of the Guild).

I completed the story with an alt, but now I have no memory of how I finished it.[/quote]

Call of the Wanderer 16 means that you betrayed the Wandering Gondolier, which locks you out of finishing his story (you were warned that this would happen)
edited by 34Witches on 5/25/2021

[quote=34Witches][quote=Myrto]I just realized I seem to have missed completing the story of the Wandering Gondolier in Jericho Locks.

I have the Call of the Wanderer quality of 16, which according to the Wiki isn’t the end of the story, I think. I have discovered the Sere Palace, so it’s my understanding that I can’t go back there to check if the Gondolier is hanging around still? At least it’s not an option on the &quotcharter a barge&quot list of options (I’m a Doctore of the Guild).

I completed the story with an alt, but now I have no memory of how I finished it.[/quote]

Call of the Wanderer 16 means that you betrayed the Wandering Gondolier, which locks you out of finishing his story (you were warned that this would happen)
edited by 34Witches on 5/25/2021[/quote]

Ah, yes, you’re right! I’d forgotten about that direction of the story. Thank you for your reply.

The actions that consume 5 2nd chances for a promise to “substantially” increase the relevant stat. Is that just me, or are they an utter ripoff?
Unless i’m missing something, they’ve consistently giving me a meager few CP, sometimes fewer than 5. Is that normal?

[quote=the Inquisitive Masseurse]The actions that consume 5 2nd chances for a promise to &quotsubstantially&quot increase the relevant stat. Is that just me, or are they an utter ripoff?
Unless i’m missing something, they’ve consistently giving me a meager few CP, sometimes fewer than 5. Is that normal?[/quote]
It’s a random number of CP between 1 and 70. And the Fallen London PRNG is notoriously misanthropic. I’ve definitely seen it hand out 50+ at once. Usually followed by giving 10 CP total over the next four attempts.

It is criminally easy to betray the Gondolier with a single click, on a button that’s far too close to the buttons you would press if you actually did want to explore the locks. And the &quotreward&quot you get if you click it by accident* is practically worthless.

*Because no one would ever click it on purpose
edited by PJ on 5/25/2021

Forum super slow and game won’t load at all for me this morning. The rest of the internet seems fine, so I don’t think it’s me. Am I alone in this?

Edit: Never mind. Whatever the problem was it seems to have gone away.
edited by Plynkes on 5/26/2021

A question about Reputation at Court / Crafting a Masterpiece / Names Signed with a Flourish:
Do i understand correctly that, unless my ambition is HD, i must create multiple works of art before progressing?
If so - how many?
Is there a quality that counts them?
Do the more time-consuming opi count as much as the quicker ones, for this purpose?

Thank you!
Perhaps FBG’s choice to describe it as &quotrandom but significant&quot is a bit misplaced, then. &quotPotentially significant&quot would be fairer.

It’s okay to opt for the shorter works if I recall correctly. You don’t get the published volumes as part of the reward, but you advance the quality. And it makes it easier to do other things and then dip back into composition. That part of making your name also significantly builds the Persuasive aspect of your character.

Wren is a Paramount Presence, but some recently raised caps on my stats (and a disastrous recent trip to the Nadir) have left me wanting to raise my attributes back up to lofty heights.

I find that Directing my Own Research at the Lab raises Persuasive quite nicely, but I haven’t found good options for the other attributes.

Can anyone recommend actions that effectively raise Watchful, Shadowy and Dangerous above 213? Many thanks in advance.

I have acquired, I know not how, a mark of credit page that promises use for a treasure from the bazaar.I guess if I acquire more pages? But there’s no green rim saying I can use it, which most usable things have, even if I don’t have enough. What’s going on here?

[quote=Bluestocking]I have acquired, I know not how, a mark of credit page that promises use for a treasure from the bazaar.I guess if I acquire more pages? But there’s no green rim saying I can use it, which most usable things have, even if I don’t have enough. What’s going on here?[/quote]You have to increase the quality ‘Counting the Days’ to 14, which will allow you to draw the card ‘Secrets and Spending’ where you will be able to either purchase more mark of credit pages if you have sufficient ‘A Pocketful of Loose Change’ or spend your pages. You can increase ‘Counting the Days’ through certain cards drawn in the deck, or at a select number of areas around London. I’m not going to list them all, but here’s the link to the wiki page if you’re curious.

Thanks for the info. I won’t go spoiler hunting, it’s enough to know it will eventually be of use without me having to become a POSI or get to the back streets of the bazaar in a hurry.
edited by Bluestocking on 5/28/2021

[quote=Wren]Wren is a Paramount Presence, but some recently raised caps on my stats (and a disastrous recent trip to the Nadir) have left me wanting to raise my attributes back up to lofty heights.

I find that Directing my Own Research at the Lab raises Persuasive quite nicely, but I haven’t found good options for the other attributes.

Can anyone recommend actions that effectively raise Watchful, Shadowy and Dangerous above 213? Many thanks in advance.[/quote]
If you’re spending time in the lab, you can raise Watchful by working with your students, which will also give you the desired Research for your experiment.

[quote=Wren]Wren is a Paramount Presence, but some recently raised caps on my stats (and a disastrous recent trip to the Nadir) have left me wanting to raise my attributes back up to lofty heights.

Can anyone recommend actions that effectively raise Watchful, Shadowy and Dangerous above 213? Many thanks in advance.[/quote]
Social actions (specific mails) are the best. 70 cp per action. But limited on per week basis, 6 mails, maybe 8 per week.
Other good options depend on your access to endgame content. Warabola is great for raising Dangerous and breath grind in Hurlers too. Shadowy in Doubt Street newspaper. Watchful in lab.

I have recently begun playing the Parabola War content. And I can see from a guide that you can get generals that you can upgrade etc.

I have taken the option of planting the human arms in the ground which it says were required, but nothing happened. Is there something different you have to do as well before the generals are ‘ready’?

You have to choose new campaign (for cats or FKs). After that new storylet (Choose a General) should appear in your pavilion. In the end of campaigns you will have opportunity to upgrade your general to lvl 2. Lvl 3 upgrade is in the Lab.
edited by Waterpls on 5/30/2021

[quote=Waterpls]You have to choose new campaign (for cats or FKs). After that new storylet (Choose a General) should appear in your pavilion. In the end of campaigns you will have opportunity to upgrade your general to lvl 2. Lvl 3 upgrade is in the Lab.
edited by Waterpls on 5/30/2021[/quote]
Ah! Thank you ^^

Each general is associated with a specific faction, and you need the level 3 upgrade to use them with a different faction.