Weekly Fallen London Questions, 24/01/2022

Here’s this week’s quick questions thread!

My alt just got the lab, did the initial eolith & coin, but the option for &quotPetition the Dean for materials&quot seems to be missing now. I remember with my main I could get extra eoliths or bones, but that was before the mechanism changed.

It looks like the cheapest option is making a rifle, which takes 100 - trivial, you may say, but when you are getting those black edge undiscardables that give you 1-2 research (filling in forms, opening crates), and your lab is bare bones beginning this is a pain.

Any tips? Am I missing some requirement?

[quote=Bluestocking]My alt just got the lab, did the initial eolith & coin, but the option for &quotPetition the Dean for materials&quot seems to be missing now. I remember with my main I could get extra eoliths or bones, but that was before the mechanism changed.

It looks like the cheapest option is making a rifle, which takes 100 - trivial, you may say, but when you are getting those black edge undiscardables that give you 1-2 research (filling in forms, opening crates), and your lab is bare bones beginning this is a pain.

Any tips? Am I missing some requirement?[/quote] You must finish 5 projects first, unfortunately, before the Dean lets you petition him for materials (or offer you students). I think the 100-research rifle is the best bet, or coming back during Whitsun for some egg-based projects, or egg-based materials to research.

If you pick the starting option which awards 3 Unlikely Connections (instead of the Research Preparations), you can get a few profitable Expert actions (assuming you kept the Numismatrix), and Work With Your Equipment is comparably good even on a fail. But, the 2-4 Prestige bracket is definitely inexplicably rough if you can’t crack open Whitsun eggs for goodies, no getting around that.

My alt had a few pails of so-called snow left when TtH hit and the message read that they lost a number of Direful Reflections equal to the number of pails they had. Can someone check to see if that happens to them, or if it’s a typo?

[quote=Ludovico Santiago]My alt had a few pails of so-called snow left when TtH hit and the message read that they lost a number of Direful Reflections equal to the number of pails they had. Can someone check to see if that happens to them, or if it’s a typo?[/quote] I had 1 pail and lost 1 Direful Reflection, although I don’t remember what the total was before (although the &quotnew total&quot matches what I have now). Probably a bug; seems unusually cruel that you not only missed cashing in your snow, but also lost 12.50 per missed opportunity!

Pretty sure in past years you gained direful reflections instead of losing them. Definitely worth reporting as a bug, and hopefully they’ll fix it.