Weekly Fallen London Questions, 18/02/2019

I received starvelling cat from a bundle. Anything useful to do with it?

It’s useful if you want to go seeking Mr Eaten’s name, but you definitely shouldn’t do that.

Otherwise no, it’s not very useful, although despite the thing’s horrendous reputation it doesn’t do anything more than sit quietly. There are a few opportunities to do things with it, but they’re all bad ideas unless for some reason you really want to pick up wounds and nightmares.

Not really. The most it’s good for is things that are best described as the direct opposite of useful.

Thanks a lot for answers.
I’ve started playing couple months ago after discovering sunless seas. It’s nice to see active player’s forum for that “old” web browser game.

There is actually one very niche use of a Starveling Cat outside of Seeking, specifically unleashing it on an invading rat horde as part of Making Your Name: Dangerous. There’s a 50/50 chance of either losing 2 x Troubled by Vermin or halving the quality and losing the cat (along with gaining Unaccountably Peckish, which can help begin Seeking). It’s fairly useful, especially if you’re lucky early on.

Either way, I highly recommend keeping the kitty around for Seeking, though.

Right, so I have Stormy-Eyed 19, What the Thunder Said 22, 40 Urchin Renown and 7 Urchin Favours. Anything else I could/should prepare before heading off into the long-dead mind?

Get your Wounds as low as possible.

And expect to be there for a while.

[quote=Dudebro Pyro]Right, so I have Stormy-Eyed 19, What the Thunder Said 22, 40 Urchin Renown and 7 Urchin Favours. Anything else I could/should prepare before heading off into the long-dead mind?[/quote]Refuse the gift and farm those screams!
Not sure if possible anymore, but you can have another player send you a lot of Wound reduction social actions. When leaving the Mind with 77 wounds level you could try and go to messages tab and start accepting them. :)

Aaaah, the possibility of gaining a menace to level 77! I need to get rid of this item and get it again!

[quote=Skinnyman][quote=Dudebro Pyro]Right, so I have Stormy-Eyed 19, What the Thunder Said 22, 40 Urchin Renown and 7 Urchin Favours. Anything else I could/should prepare before heading off into the long-dead mind?[/quote]Refuse the gift and farm those screams!
Not sure if possible anymore, but you can have another player send you a lot of Wound reduction social actions. When leaving the Mind with 77 wounds level you could try and go to messages tab and start accepting them. :)

Aaaah, the possibility of gaining a menace to level 77! I need to get rid of this item and get it again![/quote]
Wounds 77 are not possible unless you start with Stormy-Eyed 77 (refusing the gift exchanges 1 CP of Stormy-Eyed for 1 CP of Wounds and a Scream).

Cheers guys. Gonna get my wounds low and plunge in.

Oh no no no no no, that would take me over 5,200 actions on average to heal. Unless you’re absolutely certain social actions can be used to avoid the Boat, I’m keeping my wounds as low as possible, thank you very much. Now, 77 Nightmares, that might be worth a try - according to the wiki that’ll only cost 2,600 CP of every stat…