Weekly Fallen London Questions, 15/03/2021

Here’s this week’s quest quickions thread!

I am currently on the fence about keeping my Ambition content for a later date to enjoy it as a complete story. What level of stats/items/wealth is required to achieve one’s Ambition? Alternatively, how much to get to the turning point in Light Fingers where the narrative changes significantly?

EDIT: does the in-game interaction textbox have a character limit? Did it ever have one?
edited by Huey on 3/16/2021

[quote=Huey]I am currently on the fence about keeping my Ambition content for a later date to enjoy it as a complete story. What level of stats/items/wealth is required to achieve one’s Ambition? Alternatively, how much to get to the turning point in Light Fingers where the narrative changes significantly?

EDIT: does the in-game interaction textbox have a character limit? Did it ever have one?
edited by Huey on 3/16/2021[/quote]
Light Fingers has a few spots where you will need a few hundreds of echoes to complete it. It would be hard to say where without spoilers.

[quote=Huey][…]EDIT: does the in-game interaction textbox have a character limit? Did it ever have one?

I think so, I’ve spent many a pleasant hour (well, minutes) editing stuff out to be able to send the complete message &quotarc&quot in some way. Especially in roleplaying contexts, of course. Not recently, however, so maybe it’s more generous now.

[quote=Huey]I am currently on the fence about keeping my Ambition content for a later date to enjoy it as a complete story. What level of stats/items/wealth is required to achieve one’s Ambition? Alternatively, how much to get to the turning point in Light Fingers where the narrative changes significantly?

When in doubt, having a 4 digit amount of echoes is always useful in order to prevent plot stoppers. That’s of course not enough for the infamous Knifegate (Nemesis Ambition iirc), but it should make the overall progress alot smoother.
Besides that, being a PosI and having access to all of London should proof helpful. No need to care about the Railway, since it’s, at least from what I know, not necessary in order to complete the ambitions.

Thank you for the swift answers!

Kinda hard to have that kind of cash for a character created not a month ago (is there a way to see how long ago an account was created?) but I’m pretty close to fulfilling the Barrister’s requirements for PoSI so that’s good.

(lucked out that my character’s aiming for the Silverer career, I understand that skips a few expensive steps way down the line)
edited by Huey on 3/17/2021

[quote=Huey]
Kinda hard to have that kind of cash for a character created not a month ago (is there a way to see how long ago an account was created?) but I’m pretty close to fulfilling the Barrister’s requirements for PoSI so that’s good.
edited by Huey on 3/17/2021[/quote]

Don’t worry. The later stages of the game offer more efficient opportunities to grind echoes. I even discard most of the favour cards, because I have already 40+ renown for most of the fractions and cashing them in at london isn’t worth it anymore. But my Account has already seen his second birthday.

A very important thing about this game is patience. Except some of the seasonal content (e.g. specific items that only show up one year for free) there isn’t much you can miss. So take your time and enjoy the game. Since you aren’t even a PosI yet, there is ALOT of content for you to discover. ;)

Besides that, long term plans doesn’t hurt, they will give you a reason to keep playing. I have just completed 2 of my personal long time goals, Paramount Presence and Ubergoat, so I will most likely start to plan soon for my norman tattoo at the next years feast of the roses (which translates in dumping something like 2k echoes worth of items for a rare quality just because it’s rare).

Impressive! I ask these questions for my alt, I have a way older character with a few decent achievements (hello, fellow Ubergoater) I have neglected for a long time (and plan to send NORTH) so while I remember a bit of the various endeavors the early game is so far in the past that I’m almost discovering it again :D And both the latter Ambition parts and endgame locations (Parabola, the railway and so on) will be completely new to me, so good things all around.

Speaking of not remembering… do non-PoSI have lower stat caps?

I’ve probably missed something obvious, but it seems I can’t edit my FL profile or delete entries from my journal any more. Previously, I could view my profile from the ‘Myself’ tab and there would be a little edit icon next to the ‘They say…’ box but that seems to be missing. Has it been moved somewhere else or removed altogether?

That’s strange. I seem to be experiencing the same thing. Is the game being updated?

I have those, so … are you sure you are logged in? (is it still happening even?)
Any sort of possible interference in the browser (addons - like noscript, ublock, requestpolicy, … - try in safe mode?)
If it’s not working, you might want to contact support …
edited by xKiv on 3/18/2021

In regards to not being able to edit the ‘They say’ box and being unable to delete previous journal entries, I believe you need to tick the ‘remember me’ option when logging in. Otherwise the profile tab, which is opened separately to the FL main game tab, won’t recognise you as the ‘owner’ of that profile. At least, that’s how I’ve fixed the issue each time I’ve had it.

Thanks for the fix.

Has anyone else noticed a general screwiness around cookies? My various alts (different browsers) all seem to get logged out and lose the &quotcompatibility map&quot setting about the same time - which is probably because they all get logged back in and have the box reticked about the same time too. It seems as though the relevant cookies or other session storage is expiring rather than being properly refreshed on each API request.

In a past life I worked on old school server-side only web applications so I have some strong Opinions about The Right Way to manage cookies, whether to use session cookies vs. a set expiry time etc… FL seems to be one of these new-fangled javascript-based render-everything-in-the-browser apps that mostly interacts with the server through APIs and (almost) never actually reloads the whole page - so maybe that makes all my expectations about how cookies and sessions should work obsolete.

I only use one account across every browser/system (which I imagine is the case they care most about), and I’ve never lost the &quotcompatibility map&quot cookie after setting it the first time. I haven’t tracked how often I’m asked to log in again. On Chrome (which I only use on Android) I don’t know if I’ve ever been asked to log in again.
edited by PJ on 3/18/2021

After fiddling around a while with the browser security and cookie settings, always logging on to the site with the ‘Remember me’ checkbox ticked the edit icons still don’t show up in Firefox. However, it turns out they work just fine in Edge so I’ll just use that instead whenever I need to edit anything in my profile. Thanks for the helpful suggestions though.

If it’s in only one browser (and works in that browser works for other people), that looks like either an addon issue, or some weird caching hiccup. Try emptying cache? And after that restarting in safe mode (or just disabling all addons first?
edited by xKiv on 3/19/2021