Weekly Fallen London Questions, 11/10/2021

Crab MEAT? All I got was a bunch of pincers. Waaaaahhhh.

[quote=Plynkes][quote=elderfleur]

It’s Making Progress in the Labyrinth of Tigers 16. Without that there is no hunting beasts of the sea storylet in your cabin. You may need the Monstrous Anatomy as well, but my alts did not get that far.

edited by Plynkes on 10/12/2021[/quote]

I have Making Progress in the Labyrinth of Tigers at 16. I also have Monstrous Anatomy at 7 (7 +1 at the moment, actually). And I just sailed to and from the Khanate and didn’t get a chance to hunt crab from the beast-hunting storylet in my cabin, which remains stubbornly grayed-out.

EDIT: I didn’t find out about the crab event until it had ended; please disregard this post. Sorry for any inconvenience.
edited by Catherine Raymond on 10/15/2021

That’s because the event is over, Catherine. There was a finite number of crabs, and the player base got the lot in rather a short time. FB underestimated just how much we like to fish. Hopefully next time they’ll get it right.

Are%20the%20crabs%20gone%20already%3F

Oh, it’s already over?! By the time I woke up this morning and tried to go hunting, I couldn’t even find the storylet, even though I received the banner letting me know it was time to go a-hunting. I even killed myself at sea trying to find where I could start hunting haha. Ah, well, next time.

Perhaps they need to improve their “banner” system. I suspect someone has to change the current announcement manually, which is not ideal for limited events where the end date isn’t known in advance.

When crabs return, you’ll hunt them the same way you hunt the Plated Seal. If you don’t see the option, that’ll just mean that you missed it again. Hopefully they won’t make the same mistake in their estimations next time

It would be nice if they made a timed release - a wave of them every 4 hours, for example. That would help with the time zone problems.

Am I correct in assuming that if I want to obtain a Legenda Cosmogone, I have to get Banditry in the Upper River to 8? Or is there another means I’m missing?

Raising Banditry to 8 is a required step in the storyline that opens up the only non-Fate source of Legenda Cosmogones. (And Fabulous Diamonds as well.) You only need to raise Banditry to 8 once to unlock the content (assuming you meet the other prereqs), you don’t need to do it for each Legenda or Diamond.

FYI the fastest way to raise Banditry is to bring the Widow onto your Board, and then vote on her special proposal.

How bad are divorces?
Is it ever a good idea to marry an NPC that you know you’ll be replacing in the future?

[quote=PSGarak]Raising Banditry to 8 is a required step in the storyline that opens up the only non-Fate source of Legenda Cosmogones. (And Fabulous Diamonds as well.) You only need to raise Banditry to 8 once to unlock the content (assuming you meet the other prereqs), you don’t need to do it for each Legenda or Diamond.

FYI the fastest way to raise Banditry is to bring the Widow onto your Board, and then vote on her special proposal.[/quote]

Thanks!

[quote=the Inquisitive Masseurse]How bad are divorces?

Is it ever a good idea to marry an NPC that you know you’ll be replacing in the future?[/quote]

Not wanting to be a cad here, but I married some dame from the FO at one point and changed my mind down the line. I don’t remember anything seriously negative.

I’ve been married to a player, and to various NPCs at one time or another (Nora divorced her player husband to nab an NPC with better stats - I ain’t sayin’ she a gold digger…). Don’t remember much about the divorce process, but I am not haunted by the memories of it.

Sorry to be an annoyance; I figured that out just after I typed the message to which you so kindly responded. Thank you.

Does anyone have any idea which Ambition is the least expensive/resource-intensive? Or are they more or less equal in costs?

Is there any canonical reason why doing the foreign office’s bidding in Port Carnelian reduces your imperial legitimacy? My alt is spending her time sipping tea and trying to stay out of trouble.

No gameplay question here, just curiosity.

I’ve always assumed it’s got to do with various governmental interests competing against each other. The Teeth and the Face don’t always get along. And beyond that, while the Foreign Office nominally bestows Legitimacy, it measures how well you represent the Crown, not the Foreign Office. While the Foreign Office may benefit in you repairing a Khaganian ship, it does not please her Majesty that the public act positions her colony as a servant of a royal state.

The representation of the crown involves dobbing in the furriners (even today, on latest UK news) and being unfailingly loyal. I always found it went against the grain…