Weekly Fallen London Questions, 05/07/2021

It feels more like they made up a mostly-useless item as a reward when they saw how enthusiastic people were about building every possible statue of themselves

Right, it seems like it’s entirely a vanity quality/item. It’s not something mechanically useful, just something to commemorate a ridiculous accomplishment.

I very much need a favour from the Docks. I have not drawn the card for two weeks, so I used my favourable circumstance - STILL no card, but there was a chap to talk to in the Blind Helmsman who I’ve never seen before.

Was that my favourable circumstance? NOT what I wanted, and also not what’s in the wiki! I just want a By the River’s Side card.

So two questions:

1. Is this an undocumented rare outcome? I honestly forget what he gave me, something middling nice but not a favour which is all I care about right now.

2. Is there some reason why all the other faction cards pop up regularly but not the one I want? If it’s just the RNG, and Murphy’s law, that’s fair. But might I have done something to spoil it? I’m Closest To: the Docks, so I would think not.

Sometimes the cards we want just don’t show up. As far as I know there’s no way to lock yourself out of that card. If you have a ship, you can get a Docks favor at the end of the Mutton Island carousel. If you’ve progressed far enough to hunt a pinewood shark in Parabola, that’s also an option. That’s after you’ve started the Railway

Thanks, so it’s probably just some RNG quirk. I’m too early in my progress for Railways and Parabola. I finally got my favour from the Regretful Soldier card, and am now on a heist for Justificande coins so I can get a lab. And then get to the fabled Parabola! I didn’t WANT to be a burglar, but needs must.

If it’s coins you’re after, brawling at the Blind Helmsman is a reliable source for them.

The favourable circumstance should always bring up the card’s storylet. The card does not appear in your deck, you go straight to the storylet (and are moved to a location connected to the faction you chose). But if you back out of it you lose it. It’s possible that you did so accidentally, otherwise it could be a glitch.

The guy at the Blind Helmsman is a new-ish option that is unrelated to Favourable Circumstances. Jump through a couple of hoops for him and it opens up the brawling carousel, which can be used to gain various goodies, including those coins you need (if you are of a sufficient POSI rank I believe).

[quote=Plynkes]The favourable circumstance should always bring up the card’s storylet. The card does not appear in your deck, you go straight to the storylet (and are moved to a location connected to the faction you chose). But if you back out of it you lose it. It’s possible that you did so accidentally, otherwise it could be a glitch.

The guy at the Blind Helmsman is a new-ish option that is unrelated to Favourable Circumstances. Jump through a couple of hoops for him and it opens up the brawling carousel, which can be used to gain various goodies, including those coins you need (if you are of a sufficient POSI rank I believe).[/quote]
Ah. I am quite sure it was a glitch then. I was VERY keen to get my favour. Brawling is now open to me. The card is still mysteriously not appearing, but I no longer care. I have a lab! My goodness, those improvements are expensive.