Weekly Fallen London Questions, 03/08/2020

I read your post several times and still do not understand your problem.
If you are looking for Memories of Light, bone market is a great source, skeletons with fossilized limbs from Ealing.

[quote=Snort]On a different note, I’m now resigned to going to Parabola, since there seems to be a Bone Market / Laboratory / Parabola / Railway knot I can’t untie. That seems to mean grinding for Memories of Light. The cards I know about are few and far between, and have low payoffs. Converting invoves grinding other materials and a LOT of converting. The Implacable Detective grind is a massive action suck with a low payoff, and even using Fate gives a relatively low payoff.

Am I missing something, or is it back to the salt mines for me?[/quote]
Assuming you’re not a Silverer, you need like five hundred Echoes worth of Memories of Light. There’s no easy way to do that. You need to invest some mixture of five hundred Echoes of Actions and existing resources you’re willing to burn. I used a mixture of side-converting, plus there are two works at Court pay off in Beetles, which can be upconverted. It still took a while.

If I remember right, you could save a few hundred Echoes by switching professions to Silverer. Your decision whether that’s worth it.

If you still don’t have access to bone market, railway and parabola just buy beeswax from bazaar and upconvert it. IIRC best OLD sources of MoL are 1.1 EpA. No point to grind it, you are losing too much in opportunity cost and should break through to modern sweet EpA 3.5+ grinds as fast as possible.
edited by Waterpls on 8/8/2020

[quote=Waterpls]I read your post several times and still do not understand your problem.
If you are looking for Memories of Light, bone market is a great source, skeletons with fossilized limbs from Ealing.[/quote]

Bone Market’s doesn’t seem too useful unless you have access to Parabola. Ealing seems not too useful unless you build a railway to it, which seems difficult without resources from Parabola. Hence my problem.

[quote=PSGarak]
Assuming you’re not a Silverer, you need like five hundred Echoes worth of Memories of Light. There’s no easy way to do that. You need to invest some mixture of five hundred Echoes of Actions and existing resources you’re willing to burn. I used a mixture of side-converting, plus there are two works at Court pay off in Beetles, which can be upconverted. It still took a while.

If I remember right, you could save a few hundred Echoes by switching professions to Silverer. Your decision whether that’s worth it.[/quote]

Thanks. Not a Silverer and don’t really want to be. :)
edited by Snort on 8/8/2020

[quote=Waterpls]If you still don’t have access to bone market, railway and parabola just buy beeswax from bazaar and upconvert it. IIRC best OLD sources of MoL are 1.1 EpA. No point to grind it, you are losing too much in opportunity cost and should break through to modern sweet EpA 3.5+ grinds as fast as possible.
edited by Waterpls on 8/8/2020[/quote]

Thanks. I’d thought that through and disliked the amount of time upconverting is going to take and the ginormous amount of beeswax this requires.
edited by Snort on 8/8/2020

This is more subjective and less mechanical than a lot of questions here but I’m just curious.

Who else here has the Steward of the Discordance quality you get from looking at a certain rock while building the railway that Furance really doesn’t want you to look at? Who here regrets looking at that rock? And if you’ve completed a certain Exceptional Story that ends with you obtaining a Blueprint for a Seal of the Red Science, what are your theories for why in-universe you didn’t raise the quality by looking at it?

I understand we have two new social clubs to join: Sophia’s, and an Aesthetically based one.
Am I right? And what do they offer in terms of gameplay? Too scared to make the wrong move.

[quote=Jolanda Swan]I understand we have two new social clubs to join: Sophia’s, and an Aesthetically based one.
Am I right? And what do they offer in terms of gameplay? Too scared to make the wrong move.[/quote]

Not quite sure what the Clay Tailor does, but for Sophia’s: You can earn Favors: Tomb Colonies by curing a poisoning, earn Knobs of Scintillack by offering your services as a doctor, get some jasmine leaves from taking tea and for 5 Rumours of the Upper River you can go on a hunt which earns you 1500 Rostygold, 5 Jet Black Stingers and 2 An Estimable Trophy if it’s currently lower than 6. All these options are repeatable.

tl;dr Quite useful for skeleton supplies if you’re big on railway content at the moment, and in my opinion far more interesting than either the Young Stags or Parthenium.

[quote=Jolanda Swan]I understand we have two new social clubs to join: Sophia’s, and an Aesthetically based one.

Am I right? And what do they offer in terms of gameplay? Too scared to make the wrong move.[/quote]The Clay Tailor Club gives +4 bizarre, +1 persuasive, and the card An Evening at the Clay Tailor’s. Most notable among the actions is a persuasive check that allows you to trade 5 rumours of the upper river (12.50E) for 6 thirsty bombazine scraps (15E) and an additional amount of jasmine leaves based on your current train luxuries (10 x train luxuries). This option trades 12.50 echoes for 16 echoes at minimum and 21 echoes at maximum although it does require you to have at least 1 level of train luxuries and have built the station at Jericho Locks so you can actually investigate the anachronistic fashions of Hell. If you fail the check you gain scandal, but you do not lose your rumours. The other actions are a mithridacy check for a revolutionary favour, a shadowy check for 1 rumours of the upper river, the ability to create diamond soled boots that are not really worth it outside of fashion, and the option to trade 1 tailfeather brilliant as flame and 2 royal-blue tailfeathers for 11 hinterland scrip. Roleplay wise, the Clay Tailor Club is suitable for creative individuals who take great pride in their fashion sense and don’t object to bohemian eccentricity and infernal influences.

I think that both of the new clubs are generally more rewarding (and interesting) than the old clubs—even with their touch-ups—but with the 15 B/D/R gated vendors in the bone market you could also choose whichever club lets you get to 15 in the stat(s) you’re aiming for if you’re not terribly concerned with choosing a club for character reasons.

Bonus tip: If you have the Gracious Widow on your railway board, smuggling space on your train (train baggage 3), and a pair of defenestrating boots, you can trade in all your jasmine leaves for 13x the amount in jade fragments, giving you a 30% increase in echo value. The more jasmine leaves you trade in at once, the better the EpA. This makes the new clubs even more rewarding as they’re currently the only repeatable way to obtain jasmine leaves outside of hunting the honey-mazed bear.

[quote=Snort][quote=Waterpls]If you still don’t have access to bone market, railway and parabola just buy beeswax from bazaar and upconvert it. IIRC best OLD sources of MoL are 1.1 EpA. No point to grind it, you are losing too much in opportunity cost and should break through to modern sweet EpA 3.5+ grinds as fast as possible.
edited by Waterpls on 8/8/2020[/quote]

Thanks. I’d thought that through and disliked the amount of time upconverting is going to take and the ginormous amount of beeswax this requires.
edited by Snort on 8/8/2020[/quote]

That would also generate a significant amount of Liberation of Night, which might be an issue for some players.

Hey,

has anyone ideas how to get hands on a Intriguer’s Compendium? I require one for the HD Ambition and just got rid of all my scrap for a 3200 item. The other sources I’ve found are only seasonal. -.-

I presume you consider Sky-Stories to be seasonal as well. In that case, no idea.

Well, besides the codes (which I seem to have used some time ago) they only seem to be obtainable via advent calendar.
Pew… sounds like I’ll have to farm alot of unchin favours in order to proceed with my ambition.

What kind of BDR does Sophia’s club give? Being magnamimous is a tad more suited to my character than the aesthetics (which I also value) but I would hesitate a bit if it tanked my BDR.

+4 Dreaded. They’re a good lot, Sophia’s - the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner is a member. That plus the number of non-binary members, and the reformist causes they support, had me on board.

I grin at “Six women, ten crossbows” every time!

I think all the clubs are +4 BDR, in some combination (e.g. Young Stags is +2B, +2D, vs Sophia’s at +4D, vs Parthenaeum at +4R).