We need info on the 2020 'character reset' options

It’s been announced that there will be some form of ‘new game plus’ for Fallen London released this year, where we essentially re-roll our endgame character and then get to experience the game fresh from a new perspective (perhaps even following a different Ambition storyline), with some additional content that we didn’t see ‘the first time’.

That’s great, in theory!

But a lot depends on what exactly will be reset, and what won’t be. Folks with Cider or other extremely rare items/qualities probably aren’t going to love the idea of giving it up. Having to re-buy six years of Exceptional Stories sounds less than ideal. And given that Fallen London is releasing a ton of new ‘endgame’ content this year, it would feel less-than-great to sink a ton of time into those new qualities only to find that effort wasted if the ‘new game plus’ reset zeroes it out. Even if the new game plus option doesn’t come out for another six months, getting basic information now about what is/isn’t likely to be included will help us make decisions about our time and characters that feel good.

So, can we have some basic info, please? :)
edited by Televangelist on 5/17/2020

My baseless hunch is that we’ll learn more about the final endings when the Paramount Presence changes arrive.

I’m more interested in the FINAL END opportunities than any kind of reset, tbh.

I’ve never reset anything in FL except for one ES where I was unkindly affected by a bug in the mechanics. I definitely will not completely reset any of my accounts.

A FINAL END different from SMEN might be interesting for one or two accounts of mine.

Reset your character? That sounds like a nightmare.
There is so much early FL content that is an endless grind, and I did spend Fate (both to help the game, avoid a Scylla/Charybdis choice or simply forgo grinding) that I am not going through that again. After all, I am sure there is more ‘endgame content’ to come; Dilmun Club, Arbor, etc.
Since I am hardly unique in all that, I am guessing something else is afoot.

I would not mind it that much if it is something like resetting “A Name Written in …” And choosing a new Ambition, along with resetting (but keeping the new caps) of the 4 base stats, I would mind it very much if it would be something akin to removing all your items and qualities.

I would love to be able to do all Four/Five Ambitions on a single character :)

But then again, losing everything I have gotten so far would outweigh that desire too much.

All I ask is that there be only an opportunity to reset one’s character, not a requirement to do so.

We need to wait until these options are actually implemented, since you won’t be forced to immediately pick one as soon as you log in.

Quite likely you are right. We all should cease this anxious speculation until we know more.

Couldn’t agree more. I have no desire to do this, and it would kill my enthusiasm for playing my character if forced into it.

Sorry, more pointless speculation, but I only just found out about this, and I am indeed a little anxious about it.

[quote=Catherine Raymond]
Quite likely you are right. We all should cease this anxious speculation until we know more.[/quote]

I get anxious any time Failbetter teases it. More info would help with that.

There is approximately zero chance Failbetter will forcefully wipe anything on our characters. SMEN, which people have been diving into with joy, is absolutely riddled with warnings and disclaimers - and its original implementation was put on hold for about three years largely due to the fact that it didn’t have enough disclaimers, causing players - paying customers, as a matter of fact - to lose progress.
I’m quite curious as to what will become possible, but I see no reason to be anxious.

[quote=Dudebro Pyro]There is approximately zero chance Failbetter will forcefully wipe anything on our characters. SMEN, which people have been diving into with joy, is absolutely riddled with warnings and disclaimers - and its original implementation was put on hold for about three years largely due to the fact that it didn’t have enough disclaimers, causing players - paying customers, as a matter of fact - to lose progress.
I’m quite curious as to what will become possible, but I see no reason to be anxious.[/quote]
I suspect, from my long experience of the game and of dealing with Failbetter, that you are absolutely right, Dudebro. But now I am even more curious about what they have in mind for the future of the game.

All I want is to play the other Ambitions (or have the option to replay my first one.) If I have to reset anything else with that, I’m only going to see it as a negative.

The writer and developper know what they are doing, and knows the wide variety of attitude that make up the player base. They want to surprise the player, and that’s fine. All things shall be well and all manner of things shall be well.

No info on what is lost or kept yet sadly, but a card has been found at zee that goes into a bit more detail. Seems there are three possible ends, and you leave “A significant legacy” to a new player character.

Problem right now is, we have no idea what carries over in this legacy, and i’d bet good money that ahcivemenas like boatman’s opponant or correpondance scholer and the like are not one of them due to being titles rather then objects.

I set out to see to verify this, and somehow managed to draw it in my first hand despite being Very Infrequent. I’m updating the Wiki now.

https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Toward_the_Canal (Spoiler warning: Spoiler Level = &quot…my goodness.&quot)

Fallen London (Spoiler Level = not so much.)
edited by PSGarak on 5/19/2020

Update: I also managed to find a second card. (Note: SERIOUS SPOILERS FOR HEART’S DESIRE, AS WELL AS FOR THIS END. As for where the card is, it’s where you think it is.)

[spoiler] https://i.imgur.com/VCC1eM5.png https://i.imgur.com/rIu0xY9.png

There is also a non HD one: https://i.imgur.com/sA3XbyS.png [/spoiler]
edited by Kylestien on 5/19/2020

I am now a dragon sleeping on gold, and the process of amassing so much gold makes me tired. I need to sleep on a mountain of gold COINS for a while, and I don’t want to give them up yet.

Option found in the Broad Unterzee:

The new cards above sound similar to what I thought might happen-- a ‘passing on’ of items / characteristics / etc. similar to Sunless Sea and Sunless Skies, to a descendant. Though without the character being eaten by a crewmember first.