Velocipede Squad!

Does anyone else think the Velocipede Squad would make an excellent serial crime drama? I can already here the announcer in the commercials…

The reckless officer who gets chewed out by the commissioner every week, drinks too much darkdrop coffee, and fights in the Black Ribbon on the side. Running down pickpockets and couriers, chasing a villain who can walk through mirrors…

It did in the UK, a very long time ago. It was called The Sweeny, as in Sweeny Todd - Flying Squad. At least that is always how I think of it.

Ooo, thanks, checking it out now. Haven’t noticed any bikes yet, but it seems cool. I am imagining something less modern, though it’s probably hard to make any sort of Victorian detective show that isn’t about Sherlock. In the future of my mind, FL has enough clout to spawn spin-off TV shows.

I brought up The Sweeny because they had a similar ‘moral perspective’ shall we say, and screech around at a speed. Have you tried ‘Ripper Street’. I found it an excellent period detective show. It has 8.1 on IMDB.

Yes, I was about to comment that The Sweeney plus Ripper Street would equal Velocipede Squad! If one were to pitch a Fallen London-based show, well, it’s a solid premise. Fantastical crimes, society scandals, an idealistic inspector trying to reform a corrupt institution from within, thrilling penny-farthing-based fight scenes…

Looks like Ripper Street is on netflix. Sweeney’s on youtube. I will find a way to watch both of them at once, while mentally inserting rubbery men into every scene.

Can I recommend a brilliant and sadly short lived 2008 show called City of Vice about the Bow Street Runners, which although set in the 18th rather than 19th century is certainly worth taking a look at. Quite mature themes if that’s a concern. I think its up on the youtube.

[i]Rubbery based offenses are considered especially heinous…

[/i]

The stories told here are true. Names have been changed to grieve the innocent. No cats were harmed in the making of this tale.