Various Errors

So far…

• Around a dozen yellow crab monsters hanging out around Mutton Isle.[/li][li]After visiting the Salt Lions I lost my Admiralty status - including access to the dude with dark glasses - and could not seem to gain more (ie. I visited way more than three ports, but did not regain access to the shady dude or any more favor).

Just doing my small part to help this awesome game…

Does your main menu have a yellow button that says NEW STORIES AVAILABLE?

It did this morning, but I’m pretty sure I updated it. Let me quit to title screen and check again…

Yep - I’m up to date.

Gotcha.

It’s weird you are still experiencing the Salt Lions bug, as that was supposed to have been patched. As to why you can’t regain access, though – you’ve already visited those ports. You only gain Favour via the Office on visiting new ports or on turning in Strategic Information.

edit: Also, if &quotshady&quot is a slight to the Admiral’s character rather than a description of his ocular accessories, I’m afraid I’m going to have to fight you for his honor.
edited by Fretling on 2/17/2015

Another bug I’m experiencing: sometimes when I come into port, I get scrutinized by the port inspectors, despite the fact that I haven’t got the prerequisite contraband (souls). When this happens, the buttons are in the wrong place (over the text). The whole thing is very strange.

A quick question re: bugs. Do they change games in progress, or do you need to start a new game? Because I just remembered that the game it happened in is one I started last night, before I updated.

Hm, I feel like that was fixed too. You shouldn’t need to start a new game; I haven’t started a new game since December.

It should patch existing games, because it’s fixing the behaviour of the game, not the save file

The port inspectors will randomly search you, even if you don’t have any contraband. They are very zealous in their duties, after all.

I had the exact same error as you (having text from the port inspector search go all over the screen) but it stopped happening after the most recent update. It sounds like you’re experiencing multiple bugs that other users have had fixed in previous patches…is there any way that your game could somehow not be recognizing updates?

Very, very strange.

Well, I’m on a new game now. Let’s see what happens when I next go to the Salt Lions.

[quote=Alex Kay]The port inspectors will randomly search you, even if you don’t have any contraband. They are very zealous in their duties, after all.

I had the exact same error as you (having text from the port inspector search go all over the screen) but it stopped happening after the most recent update. It sounds like you’re experiencing multiple bugs that other users have had fixed in previous patches…is there any way that your game could somehow not be recognizing updates?[/quote]

Well, my computer really is extraordinarily shitty. So there’s that. I’m probably going to buy a new one soon, so maybe all this will go away.

If it’s still happening, you could back up AppData/LocalLow/Failbetter Games (including your savefile), purge the original folder, and see if it’ll redownload stuff properly. I don’t see how this would be the fault of your computer.

[quote=Fretling]If it’s still happening, you could back up AppData/LocalLow/Failbetter Games (including your savefile), purge the original folder, and see if it’ll redownload stuff properly. I don’t see how this would be the fault of your computer.
edited by Fretling on 2/17/2015[/quote]

Let me give that a try. I’m only semi-computer-literate. By &quotpurge&quot do you mean &quotdelete?&quot

Though before I do that, one last question… do you need to quit the game and start the program up again for an update to take effect? Because I’ve been playing it nigh-continuously since I bought it.

Yes, but only after you have copied a version of that folder to a safe place elsewhere. That is important. Your savefile is in there, and if all goes awry you can restore the whole thing.

edit: I don’t believe you need to quit and restart, but I could be wrong, as I always played in shorter sessions.

Well, it turns out that the Salt Lions are a straight shot due East from Fallen London in my new map… so we’ll find out soon!

Looks like it’s fixed.

Glad to hear that it’s fixed, enjoy!