Updates to some Fate stories

A few changes today:

• We’re lowering the price of Flute Street from 25 Fate to 10.
  • It is now possible to obtain the Rubbery Renown 40 item from Helicon House as well as Flute Street.
  • The expeditions in the Forgotten Quarter that cost Fate can now be repeated once bought, for lesser rewards. This will shortly be made available to players who have previously bought them.
  • The rewards for Inconvenienced by your Aunt have been balanced across the three different endings.
  • You can now use Fate to reset Secrets Framed in Gold from the Fate page, and the Silk-Clad Expert story from within the House of Chimes.
  • We have retired The Rubbery Murders.
6 Likes

Nice! Looking forward to flute street!

1 Like

Hmmm, 10 Fate for a miss-click and more to recruit her just made her unappealing!

Umpff… it wasn’t a great story, but I was hoping for a remake/extension of it.

2 Likes

Whilst I appreciate the gesture that such an important story is cheaper, and it is great that the Underground Organ is no longer fate-locked, will there be some sort of refund for people who bought Flute Street for the full 25 Fate? It doesn’t feel like the best to know that I could have just waited a few more months then get quite a significant discount.

3 Likes

No compensations for those who bought Flute Street for higher price?

1 Like

C’mon lads and lasses, insisting on a refund for something months or even years ago might result in Failbetter never again doing a price adaptation to the lower end.

5 Likes

You have a point, but at the same time, it’s not really about the money, it’s about the principle of the thing. For example, when the Sims 4, developed by EA of all companies, went free to play, they gave out a pack of furniture to everyone who had already purchased the game. The furniture included was incredibly niche and has probably only been used by thirty or so people, but it showed that EA recognized the people who had already bought their game at full price.

3 Likes

Ingame compensation costs them nothing, especially if it’s not in Fate.

Okay, this sounds quite a lot more compromisable.

Just watch out, when they have a good day, Failbetter might yield us something like the Weasel of Enterorrhoea.

5 Likes

Well d__n I wish I hadn’t looked that up.

3 Likes

That seems really unusual to me.

I just took a quick glance through my Steam library and as far as I can tell, most games eventually get discounted from their release price. I’ve never seen any developers give refunds for the price difference to people who bought them early. Same with books, even digital - lots of books have sales later on, buying it early is more expensive than waiting for sales. I’ve never heard of a purchaser of an e-book getting refunded the price difference if there’s a sale!

If I had to guess for Sims 4 it’s an acknowledgement of a change in business model. Switching from “pay to buy the game” to “free-to-play, but the devs make money by in-game purchases” will feel like nickel-and-diming people who bought it - first they paid for the game, and THEN they have to also pay for all the in-game stuff? So I suppose that’s why in that specific situation, it warranted something. But I wouldn’t expect that for something that’s just a change in price. Things change in price all the time, sometimes they go up and sometimes they go down…

I mean, it’s not like I’d mind the free fate, I bought Flute Street at its original price a few years ago (and a few years ago before that on a different character), but I wouldn’t really expect it…

6 Likes

Completely fair. At the end of the day, it’s up to FBG what they want to do with their game, and my own biases as a former purchaser notwithstanding, the reduction in price is an overall benefit to the player base. Maybe now I’ll buy Flute Street with my Nemesis alt, since I can afford it over there!

2 Likes

I bought Flute Street probably in like 2018 or something, and I’m not expecting any compensation for the lowered price today. It was worth 25 Fate at the time and I’ve gotten my money’s worth from it. I can understand being miffed if you’re one of the people who bought it last month or something. (I would sympathize the most if someone bought it recently because of the Fate cost increase back in March, but I don’t know if there actually are any such players.)

But I also like waterpls’ (implied) suggestion: if there is compensation, which there doesn’t have to be and I’m not asking for, but if there is then a unique in-game thingy is clearly the best option. Flute Street of the Ancient Regime.

5 Likes

Having knowledge of the original route to Flute Street (or something along those lines).

2 Likes

Fair! I love collecting vanity qualities anyway! Old Route to Flute Street would be nice!

1 Like

Well, Investigating the Rubbery Murders became a rare quality! Not only that it was retired, but it had lowest score during ES polls. This means many people didn’t buy it. :smiley:

As a fun fact: before Constable conversion to renown, this story had a huge EPA for that time. 2-4 or something similar, it drained Constable connection, but it didn’t require any level.

1 Like

Wow, the failure brings more wounds , I think, costs 50 shrieks, but lower sus, gives a constable favour and 2 ToT!! plus 7 appealing secrets and 3 CP MW. It is a nice upgrade!

EDIT: Well, the wiki page is already updated: Inconvenienced by Your Aunt (Story) - Fallen London Wiki.

EDIT #2: The suspicion reduction brings back criminal favour card/s on the table while keeping the EPA for Tribute grind very high!

1 Like

Hello!

But anyway, the price difference now, even taking the lowered fate cost of pre-march into account, is only about 2-3 pounds, depending on the quantity in which you buy the necessary Fate, and let’s be honest, that isn’t really that much. Still, Knowledge of The Old Ways to Flute Street would look pretty good in our scrapbooks!

4 Likes

So FYI this is implemented now. If you’ve bought these in the past (I did, years ago) you can now re-run the expeditions. Does anyone have anything specific on the “lesser rewards” aspect? I ran Uttermost Wind twice and received 2xNight Whisper both times, which is smack in the middle of the old range.

The EPA in general would be nice to know, but I’m most interested in finding out if the Vial of Tears is still on the table for Gallery of Serpents, for players who are considering Doubled Spring.

1 Like