Treacheries and Color (Spoilers Ahead)

So, granted that my current understanding of the lore isn’t quite perfect, but I am given to believe that the new SMEN content discusses the Seven Treacheries a lot: Clocks, Breath, Maps, Glass, and three others. Its theorized that the seven Treacheries are the reason for the Neath, a sort of series of impossibilities that protect it from the view of the Judgements, and thus also protect the Bazaar.

Seven is the number, and seven is also the number of the colors of the Neathbow: Pelligin, the color of the deepest zee, Gant, the color that remains when all other colors have been eaten, Irrigo, the forgotten color, Cosmogone, the color of remembered sunlight, Viric, the color of shallow sleep and the color behind the mirrors, Apocyan, the blue of memory, and Violant, the color of troublesome but necessary connections.

In total, we have seven of both. Not unlikely, considering just how many things dance around seven (probably a reference to the seven letter in a Correspondence name).

But what if we can look for links between the two? What if the colors of the Neathbow can be linked to the Treacheries. One causes the other, or maybe both cause both. This is the Neath, after all.

The treachery of Clocks possibly represents how time flows funny in the Neath, especially near the edges. This could directly link it to Cosmogone, which appears to have links not only to the past, but also possible futures with its reflections showing &quotharsh truths&quot and &quotpleasing fancies&quot.

The treachery of Glass possibly represents how you can access Parabola through mirrors in the Neath, which would link it to Viric, a heavily Parabolan color that is said to exist behind the mirrors.

The treachery of Maps might have to do with how locations in the Zee and the Neath tend to be impermanent and shifting, with space itself working strange in general. This would link it to pelligin, since the Zee is the particularly strange place with regards to movement and its tendency to shift around.

The treachery of Breath is possibly how people can die and yet live, which would link it to Gant, since Gant has heavy links with death, dying, and that which was. The Gant Pole, for example, is where Zee beasts go to die.

As for the other three? We’re not quite certain, but we can make conjecture based upon this suggestion. We have three colors left: irrigo, violant, and apocyan. What do these all have to do with each other? All of them have to do with memory. Irrigo is forgetting. Violant is remembering when you shouldn’t. Apocyan is memory in general. We are told that the Neath is where the Earth hides the memories which shame her. Irrigo in particular may refer to the Nadir, which is a particularly fucky place where all the laws of reality seem to go out the window. Its implied that this is responsible for the Neath being shielded in total. It is possible that the Nadir is the fifth treachery, as a result.

Now for violant, as far as I am aware we don’t have a direct link to any particular &quotthing&quot like we do with the five previously listed. We know that it &quottastes like tears mixed with pitch&quot. We know that it is used to write messages which are hard to forget, and that it adorns the Bazaar. I am not quite sure what it is, but Violant appears to be linked with Love. Could Love be one of the treacheries? Hard to say. We seem to get that it is dangerous for the Judgements to dabble in love (if the Sun’s current predicament and the Bazaar’s attempts to deal with it are anything to go by). It could be that without a certain medium, they do not look at love at all. Further information is not available here.

Apocyan is a bit more confusing than violant, even. We don’t know what a lot of it does. We know that from Sunless Sea Apocyan is heavily associated with the Principles, a largely sentient mass of coral that is trying not to be. It is possible for a number of things to be true. First, its possible that Apocyan is literally memory. After all, Blue Scintillack is said to come with it, and the Apocyan chess piece brings to mind the &quotMemento of a Struggle&quot that Agents use primarily. I would guess that Apocyan is intended to be what happens when you reduce memories themselves to a color. The memory of the betrayal being what lacquers the Crooked-Cross’ Crooked Cross and gives it it’s power, for example. The seventh treachery, if I were to make a guess (and this is the most conjecture-based one of all) might be Memory. The very Memories that the Earth is trying to hide with the Neath.

Again, all of this is conjecture, and I appreciate any corrections, additions, thoughts, or ideas on the matter.
edited by ExcArc on 6/26/2016

This is an extremely interesting read, but I can’t help but note that you spell viric with double-r (and you shouldn’t do that).

Freedom from all laws means freedom from the laws of grammar! For the Liberation!

…I’ll change it, but virric looks much nicer than viric.

The Nadir is almost certainly not a Treachery. I’d guess it’s instead the Wound in the World, the scar in Time from the Red Science as mentioned in Frostfound.

(Also isn’t Violant the one of unpleasant reminders and harsh truths, not Cosmogone?)

[quote=Optimatum]The Nadir is almost certainly not a Treachery. I’d guess it’s instead the Wound in the World, the scar in Time from the Red Science as mentioned in Frostfound.

(Also isn’t Violant the one of unpleasant reminders and harsh truths, not Cosmogone?)[/quote]

Cosmogone is the color of remembered light .

Ooh that was most certainly an interesting read. I’ll be interested in seeing how this plays out.

[quote=Optimatum]The Nadir is almost certainly not a Treachery. I’d guess it’s instead the Wound in the World, the scar in Time from the Red Science as mentioned in Frostfound.

(Also isn’t Violant the one of unpleasant reminders and harsh truths, not Cosmogone?)[/quote]

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Set_of_Cosmogone_Spectacles

Sorry for the ugly link, I am on mobile. I grant you that with that given, the Nadir is likely not a Treachery, and I have no immediate supposition as to what the other treachery is. However, Cosmogone
is pleasing fancies and unkind truths, as the description for the Cosmogone lenses states.

It was said somewhere else that the Bazaar doesn’t know or have access to the Nadir, so it is probably not a thing set up with the Bazaar’s protection in mind. On the other hand the Irrigo is strong enough to protect the Neath from sunlight, so the Bazaar does benefit from said protection even if it is not with the Bazaar in mind.

I’ve been entertaining the idea that one of the treacheries is a Treachery of Names. Everybody in the Neath (apart from a few individuals like Clarence…) is known by some kind of epithet.

I’m not sure that’s an entirely stylistic choice. It seems to be something enforced, at least partially, by the Bazaar and the Masters, which certainly makes it suspect.

I believe the links actually tie in to a certain work by Italo Calvino, titled Invisible Cities. Although there are seven Treacheries and eleven categories of city, the four Treacheries that have already been mentioned also feature in Invisible cities. In addition to this, the Treachery of Names links directly to Cities and Names. Furthermore, I would theorise that the Treachery of Memory would be the sixth–largely tying in to the work that Midnighters do, and the fact that ideas are a currency in the Neath–and also has a matching category in Invisible Cities, Cities and Memory. The thing that ties this largely nutty theory together comes in a certain Ambition that should not be named, in which Alexis (and Fallen London by extension) makes extensive reference to Invisible Cities.

Any thoughts?
edited by Arensen on 6/29/2016

[quote=Wiwo]I’ve been entertaining the idea that one of the treacheries is a Treachery of Names. Everybody in the Neath (apart from a few individuals like Clarence…) is known by some kind of epithet.

I’m not sure that’s an entirely stylistic choice. It seems to be something enforced, at least partially, by the Bazaar and the Masters, which certainly makes it suspect.[/quote]
There is a visible trend that we can see, which is that every time a character runs a business, we seem to get their name. Penstock appears in Sunless Sea because he works in/at Penstock’s Land Agency. Clathermont’s has a tattoo business. Shoshana, Sinnin Jenny, Gebrandt, they all have their names visible, so they get referred to by name. I’m not saying that the Treachery of Names isn’t a possibility (certainly Salt’s Name is an abberation, as well as the ability to find Mr. Eaten’s Correspondence name) but perhaps it has to do more with Correspondence than how they are referred to in text. It’s worth looking into.

[quote=Arensen][color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]I believe the links actually tie in to a certain work by Italo Calvino, titled Invisible Cities. Although there are seven Treacheries and eleven categories of city, the four Treacheries that have already been mentioned also feature in Invisible cities. In addition to this, the Treachery of Names links directly to Cities and Names. Furthermore, I would theorise that the Treachery of Memory would be the sixth–largely tying in to the work that Midnighters do, and the fact that ideas are a currency in the Neath–and also has a matching category in Invisible Cities, Cities and Memory. The thing that ties this largely nutty theory together comes in a certain Ambition that should not be named, in which Alexis (and Fallen London by extension) makes extensive reference to Invisible Cities.[/color]

[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]Any thoughts?[/quote][/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]I will look into this book series immediately! If it has any palpable connection I may amend or add onto my theory to accomodate it. Thank you![/color]

[quote=Arensen]. Furthermore, I would theorise that the Treachery of Memory would be the sixth–largely tying in to the work that Midnighters do, and the fact that ideas are a currency in the Neath–and also has a matching category in Invisible Cities, Cities and Memory.
edited by Arensen on 6/29/2016[/quote]

&quotPerhaps she was happiest before
Time and memory are strange in the Neath. Is the Big Rat really defeated? Has another taken his place? Has the Albino Rat returned to the children she loved, or did she ever truly leave them?&quot
(Fate locked option on Albino Rat card). Memory IS strange in the Neath.
Really like your theory, Arensen.
edited by Gonen on 6/29/2016

Nice point Gonen. Touche.

[quote=Morkan Kassington][quote=Optimatum]The Nadir is almost certainly not a Treachery. I’d guess it’s instead the Wound in the World, the scar in Time from the Red Science as mentioned in Frostfound.

Cosmogone is the color of remembered light .[/quote]

But specifically remembered sunlight, yes? I believe it’s probably not all harsh truth and unpleasant reminders due to the euphoric effect it has on Neathers, especially those who are native-born. However, a good portion of that swell of emotions and feelings is probably harsh truth and bittersweet longing for what-was or what-never-was. Probably something to do with being against the grain of one’s nature (a creature rooted firmly in the chain), but partaking of that which literally unbinds some of the fibers of existence (Neath, Nadir, Seeking). I’d imagine being woven again into something that is abhorrent in the world not of curves and voids makes sunlight have a &quotnormalizing&quot effect on Neathers.

If you look at the description for Memory of Light, it’s described as &quotrotting&quot and &quotsucculent&quot. Also, &quotlingering&quot. The flavor-text indicates it’s probably a memory of Parabolan light or Viric light. Which, I guess, fits with the treachery of Glass and the whole that which-is but which-is-not. Since, you know, Parabola is on the borders of what, Hell, our world, and the Mirror Marshes? And everything kind of bleeds together and can become so very fuzzy at times.

When is a reflection not a reflection?
edited by Stygota on 6/29/2016
edited by Stygota on 6/29/2016

I think ExArc is right about Violant, and its links to the Treachery of Love. Again, (and perhaps I’m going a little too deep into this) Cities and Desire features prominently in Invisible Cities, and Alexis has said himself in an opinion piece that Desire is one of the fundamental themes on which Fallen London’s narrative is based. The other reason that I’m referring to it as the Treachery of Desire is because of Violant’s description in Sunless Sea: “V marks VIOLANT when blood is shed in a spired place. Violant ink is employed for the most desperate treaties…”. Violant Ink also supposedly tastes like pitch mixed with tears. Blood being shed in a spired place almost certainly refers to the Bazaar, and the two could possibly hint at a sense of mourning.

I also do believe that while both Cosmogone and Viric refer to light, the Treachery of Glass (Viric) is very different to Cosmogone’s treachery. The only thing I don’t understand is Apocyan, in this case.

[quote=Arensen]I think ExArc is right about Violant, and its links to the Treachery of Love. Again, (and perhaps I’m going a little too deep into this) Cities and Desire features prominently in Invisible Cities, and Alexis has said himself in an opinion piece that Desire is one of the fundamental themes on which Fallen London’s narrative is based. The other reason that I’m referring to it as the Treachery of Desire is because of Violant’s description in Sunless Sea: &quotV marks VIOLANT when blood is shed in a spired place. Violant ink is employed for the most desperate treaties…&quot. Violant Ink also supposedly tastes like pitch mixed with tears. Blood being shed in a spired place almost certainly refers to the Bazaar, and the two could possibly hint at a sense of mourning.

I also do believe that while both Cosmogone and Viric refer to light, the Treachery of Glass (Viric) is very different to Cosmogone’s treachery. The only thing I don’t understand is Apocyan, in this case.[/quote]

Treachery of Love, Desire, maybe both… Maybe the Sun’s love of another star is uncommon? Maybe love in general isn’t something that exists for the Judgements? This is going really deep down the rabbit hole, but hear me out. The Sun having a child with the Bazaar is called an experiment. The natural assumption is that it was an experiment in interbreeding on the chain. But what if the experiment was in love?

Consider that the nature of desire is one of the major themes from Fallen London is how far people will go for love. Maybe the Sun has gone too far and committed a taboo and that’s why the other Judgement rejected them… I might go so far as to suggest that the Bazaar is hiding out in the Neath to find the Correspondence for love, but that’s something insane.

[quote=ExcArc]Treachery of Love, Desire, maybe both… Maybe the Sun’s love of another star is uncommon? Maybe love in general isn’t something that exists for the Judgements? This is going really deep down the rabbit hole, but hear me out. The Sun having a child with the Bazaar is called an experiment. The natural assumption is that it was an experiment in interbreeding on the chain. But what if the experiment was in love?

Consider that the nature of desire is one of the major themes from Fallen London is how far people will go for love. Maybe the Sun has gone too far and committed a taboo and that’s why the other Judgement rejected them… I might go so far as to suggest that the Bazaar is hiding out in the Neath to find the Correspondence for love, but that’s something insane.[/quote] We’re already pretty sure that the Sun was rejected due to its (admittedly brief) love affair with the Bazaar. Especially from the text when you view The Seventh Letter with Millicent Clathermont, where both the Sun and the Bazaar are facing trial for ‘unlicensed love’. We assume that the Bazaar is in the Neath so that it can either find a love story to convince the host of the judgements that love between links in the Chain is acceptable, or possibly so that it can find a suitable love story to return to the Sun with. I think you’re right about the Sun’s Experiment–but I think it’s possible that love does exist for the Judgements, seeing as they do curate the Chain, which seems largely to govern who may love whom.

Regardless of why exactly the Bazaar came to the Neath in the first place, the odds are that it came here because of the ‘experiment’ of its love with the Sun. This seems exactly like the breaking of one of the fundamental laws of reality (the Chain), and paired with the fact that love is dangerous around the Bazaar and in the Neath, gives some significant weight to the theory that the sixth treachery is the Treachery of Desire, and thus is paired with Violant (tears, pitch, blood in spired places, desperate treaties).

I am perhaps being a touch obsessive about throwing this around, but this thread, its discussion, and the general sensation I am getting has inspired me to create a Discord channel dedicated to this sort of discussion of flavor, story, and lore. That said, all sorts of Fallen London talk shall be allowed, even that without Fallen London talk. If you are interested, please, come in.

I see other possible links.

Because time is fluid, could they be linked to the 7 cities themselves?

Could the candles also be signs of the link, each one to a treachery or/and a colour?

[quote=Ben ]I see other possible links.

Because time is fluid, could they be linked to the 7 cities themselves?

Could the candles also be signs of the link, each one to a treachery or/and a colour?[/quote]
If the Candles correspond to things, it is an intelligent being, not a color or treachery. Saint Forthigan’s lesson in the chapel makes this much obvious.
edited by Morucant on 7/4/2016